Low dollar, BIG cooling - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old May 29th, 13, 8:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage
Low dollar, BIG cooling

Just thought I’d share some of my experiences and pics all in one place with part numbers and a little how to……. I’d also like to thank everyone here that helped me along the way.

Before: 3 hole top plate, 21 inch wide copper core radiator.. with electric fans taken from an LT1 Camaro. Temps exceeded 220 often.

After: 4 hole top plate, 29 inch wide Aluminum radiator and the things below…. I couldn’t get it to 190 no matter how hard I flogged it, 102 outside temp.

Parts list:
• 4 Hole chrome top plate Ebay = 20.00
• 19 inch XT1 -7 blade fan - U pull it = 10.00
• Hayden 2747 HD clutch = 49.99
• Murray 433322 -29 in wide, 18 inch tall Aluminum radiator (specs on their website are jacked up, trust me it drops right in) I paid = 140.00, Listed at 159.00 right now.
• Shroud 1971 BB (one piece) from Summit OPG-00T218R = 59.95
• Upper hose Gates 21204 15.00
• Lower hose 21324 lower 12.00

Total 307.00, rounding up.

I gained a brand new free flowing aluminum radiator with 8 extra inches in overall width and a car that I can’t get to run over 190 with it being 102 outside.

There are actually 4 perch spots on the core support for different configurations. 29 inches being the widest.....

Then I welded the 3 holes shut on the top of the support and welded in 4 new mounting points for the MUCH wider 4 hole top plate.

Then I cut over 5 inchs out of the driver side of the core support...

If you don’t push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system – Boss 338 18’s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I can’t remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 70 nialator; May 29th, 13 at 9:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old May 29th, 13, 8:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage
Re: Low dollar, BIG cooling

CONTINUED:

The rest dropped right in

USMC- Retired

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system – Boss 338 18’s - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I can’t remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 70 nialator; May 29th, 13 at 11:32 PM.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old May 30th, 13, 4:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Skip

Hey nice work Darren! Thanks for the pics & info, I'm gonna be going through the same process later this year going from a small to big block. Trying to decide if I want the front runner system and then finding a reverse 7 blade clutch fan. Putting a lot of thought into all that SWHEATON has been posting in the cooling issue threads.

Skip

69 Malibu Cpe
Oshawa, Ont Built
383, Eddy E-tecs,
TKO-600
3.73 Power Trax

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old May 30th, 13, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Thanks Skip, if you are going from a 3 to 4 hole top plate please take note that it’s NOT centered on the core support. . It’s actually off to the driver side about 2 inches. I would suggest re-positioning the lower rubber perches, setting the new radiator in place and positioning the top plate on the new radiator to make the marks for your 4 new holes.

EDIT: and Scott is really passionate about cooling and from what I can tell a cool guy….. the stuff works!

USMC- Retired

Last edited by 70 nialator; May 30th, 13 at 9:02 PM.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old May 30th, 13, 8:34 PM
Team Member

GREAT NEWS!

I told you the clutch fan setup with hd fan clutch ,160 stat,proper shroud & proper type clutch fan would do the trick.

I bet you would have got almost as good a result with the old rad but new rad is definitely good too esp since you don't have much invested for great cooling like I tell everyone that setup gives you.

The lrg 7 blade clutch fan,new hd thermal fan clutch,proper shroud and new rad are what collectively reduced your temps from 220ish to max of 190 which is great .

You didn't list the stat your running,i bet its a 180 stat since it maxes out at 190 deg ,180 stat try autozones 15356/160 hi flow stat because I bet it will reduce your current 190 max temp to 180 ish which is what happens every time I have done gone from the 180 hi flow autozone stat to the 160 stat with the cooling system setup I rec you run when in hot summer temps.

BTW,Now what do you think of elec fans?

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old May 30th, 13, 9:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Well Scott you were right.. and your question above is kind of loaded. (Maybe, and probably not intentionally)

I think there are probably some 1000.00+ setup’s with electronic fans that will cool a car like mine effectively. BUT… taking into consideration, aesthetics, functionality, and PRICE….. For 1/3 of that or less I got where I needed to be, and I’m happy with that.

Edit, I’m running a 160 stat without the 2 extra holes…..

Edit again: It should also be noted that when I say flogged I mean multiple sets of tires in one day. Not your average …. Oh, I did a burn out… Something’s I expect to last.. Others I don’t.

USMC- Retired

Last edited by 70 nialator; May 30th, 13 at 9:17 PM.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old May 31st, 13, 1:14 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 nialator View Post
Well Scott you were right.. and your question above is kind of loaded. (Maybe, and probably not intentionally)

I think there are probably some 1000.00+ setup’s with electronic fans that will cool a car like mine effectively. BUT… taking into consideration, aesthetics, functionality, and PRICE….. For 1/3 of that or less I got where I needed to be, and I’m happy with that.

Edit, I’m running a 160 stat without the 2 extra holes…..

Edit again: It should also be noted that when I say flogged I mean multiple sets of tires in one day. Not your average …. Oh, I did a burn out… Something’s I expect to last.. Others I don’t.
============

LOL!!!

Sounds like fun!

Have a great summer cruising with confidence your motors not going to be running hot anymore like it used to with the old cooling system.

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old May 31st, 13, 2:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Good stuff!!
I'll soon be converting to a 4 bolt plate and 4 row core radiator after installing Vintage A/C.
Got most of those items on hand already.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old May 31st, 13, 8:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Bill please let me know how that vintage air works out for you, PM me or post here, whatever…. Probably my next mod

USMC- Retired

post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 13, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Omaha, NE to Waverly and back, first car show of 2013 (unfinished, primer class) 80 miles round trip, took her over 100 mph twice... never went above 165 (high was 72 degrees)

USMC- Retired

post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 13, 6:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Unhappy Re: Low dollar, BIG cooling

I cannot find that radiator anywhere locally for less than about $275-$300.

One place on Ebay has it for $176 but doesn't offer insurance on it while being shipped...

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0, 4L80e, 3.73's = [email protected], 1.49
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 13, 7:59 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
I cannot find that radiator anywhere locally for less than about $275-$300.

One place on Ebay has it for $176 but doesn't offer insurance on it while being shipped...
O'Reillys got them for $159...probably a little less if ya know someone at the counter.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1386&ppt=C0331

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 13, 8:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

hmmm, when I check that link, it comes up at $189.99??

Unfortunately, there are no O'Reilly's in Maryland, or within 100 miles of me. Maybe I'll see about getting one shipped, or just see if Summit can price match it.

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0, 4L80e, 3.73's = [email protected], 1.49
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 13, 8:47 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

That is strange...

post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 13, 8:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Maybe you can print this off or screen shot it to help you in your price matching.
(You can also see how the listed specs are completely backwards)

Trust me, I measured it twice

USMC- Retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in