Removing AC. - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Removing AC.

Hello, I dont post in this section much, hope you guy's dont mind. My father has a 1971 Monte Carlo with AC, we just removed everything because it doesnt work and he wanted to clean up the engine bay. Not to mention the ease of header and spark plug installs. We installed a OPG AC delete box, the fit was OK and I was suprised it's plastic! My question is are any of the factory plugs/wires needed other then the hotand ground wire for the blower motor? There is also a vacuum line that comes from the firewall I'm wondering about? All help is appreciated.

1970 Chevelle Malibu
468ci 10to1
Straub solid roller
4 speed
12 bolt 4.11's
60'= 1.561
1/8= 6.97 at 100.14mph
1/4= 10.97 at 123.52mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: Removing AC.

You will need the blower motor resistor if you want the fan speeds to work. Its a 3 prong plug with the leads shaped like this |_|, located in the top of the A/C box, firewall side, engine side.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

I can't answer your question, but don't trash/dispose of the old ac parts.
There worth selling. I remember my dad ripping off the AIR system from my 74 Laguna back in the day and tossing in the trash.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 2:30 PM
Rick

I did the same thing on my '69 chevelle. I took out the A/C box and now I have a ton of wires I tucked into the fender. I would love to hook the blower motor up so I can have heat, but the issue revolves around the resistor...

Where do you put it??? If I plug it into the a/c harness and connect the blower motor everything works great, but the resistor obviously gets pretty hot and since I don't have a huge a/c box anymore, I don't know where to mount it.

.....or possibly, just eliminate it completely and only run on 1 speed.

And no, you can't mount it in the plastic replacement box...unfortunately.

lol, this is has been really been bugging me, I'm a little lost. Also, I just joined the forums today, hopefully I can start making some contributions back! Thanks
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 2:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Here's an article from Car Crap Magazine on how to delete the A/C from a mid-60's to mid-70's Chevelle, Camaro, etc. Maybe it will answer your questions: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ete/index.html

Our You Tube Vids:

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 2:50 PM
Rick

Unfortunately, they also eliminate the heat in that article....probably because no one knows how to fix the problem and just dodges the bullet haha
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 2:58 PM
Rick

whitey70ss, I know on my chevelle I have one longer wire with a rubber "boot" at the end that plugs into the blower motor. If you do this and try to run the blower motor, I get no action. As soon as I plug in the resistor (a plug on one to the 4 wires coming through the firewall for heat & a/c) I have all the variable speeds and it functions perfectly. Now the only issue is that now your holding this 40 year old p.o.s. resistor in your hand as it slowly creeps up in temperature. So I know in my case, if I found a way to mount the resistor and then just organized the wiring mess, I would be happy. It's better than just running maximum voltage to it and having the fan just on high blowing you away inside the car.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 9:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

HMMMM! Dads gonna be pissed! He was hoping to get rid of all that crap. I'll do some testing tomorrow. Thanks alot fella's, you guy's are awesome!

1970 Chevelle Malibu
468ci 10to1
Straub solid roller
4 speed
12 bolt 4.11's
60'= 1.561
1/8= 6.97 at 100.14mph
1/4= 10.97 at 123.52mph
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

I found the resistor wire, where is a safe place to mount this thing? can I put it in behind the fender well and zip tie it to something out of sight? Or does it get to hot?

1970 Chevelle Malibu
468ci 10to1
Straub solid roller
4 speed
12 bolt 4.11's
60'= 1.561
1/8= 6.97 at 100.14mph
1/4= 10.97 at 123.52mph
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 4:56 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The speed control resister assembly needs to be installed in the air stream to keep it cool or it won't last long otherwise.
LeoP likes this.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 9:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I just cut a hole in the bottom of my AC delete box (American Graffiti) and mounted where no one can see it. All functional, looks no different, problem solved.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 4:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Squido(skee-doe

The vacuum line is either for an air door or the heater valve. You probably removed the air door. If your heater valve is non-existent you probably just need to eliminate the vacuum line. One of the slide controls for the A/C heater is a vacuum switch.
Squido

Squido W Cash
Experienced
So. Calif. Mickey and Donalds home town
in progress
68 Malibu 454, th400, 12 bolt 411 MegaSquirt
79 350 Vette
80 350 Vette
70 F**d 250 pick-up
31 Model "A" Grocery Getter
73 El Camino soon to be big block
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 4:26 PM
Tech Team
David

This is a Pic of how installed everything on my ac delete box. Been working for over 2 years.

David

1972 Monte Carlo
Gulf Green.
Family owned since new.
3.73 gear
th350
414 s/b pump gas 1.59 60' 11.28 @ 119.86 mph

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 11, 3:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

OK thanks for the pic.

1970 Chevelle Malibu
468ci 10to1
Straub solid roller
4 speed
12 bolt 4.11's
60'= 1.561
1/8= 6.97 at 100.14mph
1/4= 10.97 at 123.52mph
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 9:31 AM

I have a follow on question to this post. (Along the A/C delete topic) I just removed my A/C on my '72 Chevelle and I'm wondering what everyone uses to plug the coolant ports from the intake manifold and the water pump? I'm not a fan of putting a bolt in the end of a cut hose. It just looks so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in