BBC pulley sizes - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 07, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via MSN to Grumpy 427
BBC pulley sizes

I was just checking my pulleys on my 454, and they are from Classic camaro. The crank is 6-1/2" and the waterpump is 6" should the crank be larger to drive the waterpump faster to increase flow and cooling?

My 468 has 12.3-1 compression, AFR heads and a big soild roller. It made 708 HP on the dyno, and 622 TQ. The distributor is locked at 38 degrees timing,so it has 38 inital as well. The cooling is as follows a griffen 2 row 31x19 rad, new 16 LB rad cap 180 Robert shaw stat.and a GM shrowd. the fan is a Plastic 17" flexalite fan.

On warm days the car will run 200-210 sitting in traffic once i get it rolling in clean air, it drops down to 190. I was wondering if i need to increase the crank pulley size if that would help? Or is this just the way its going to be with this type of engine on the street.

Sheldon

My other car. 1977 camaro prostreet car.
9.65 @ 137 MPH-1.39-60' more left in the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 1969 Chevelle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 07, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Re: BBC pulley sizes

Are we talking about SWP or LWP here?

The LWP uses a creative set of pulleys on the BBC with two different diameters on both crank and water pump. When I measured the crank I came up with 6.75" and 7.75" diameters. On the water pump it came out to 5.5" and 6.25" diameters. Both of these result in a 1.25 overdrive between the crank and the water pump based on pulley circumference (which is what the belts see).

I don't think I would recommend increasing the drive ratio. If you rev to 6000 RPM, your fan/WP is going to be turning 7500 RPM. This is fine if they are designed for it but if not...

It sounds more like you need a better fan. The factory used the thermal fan clutch in there for a reason. They could use a big high pitch fan and gear it down through the fan clutch viscous coupling. This would make it easier to turn and also make it turn slower. Then when things got warm they could lock up the clutch and take advantage of the overdrive ratio built into the pulleys for extra air flow at slower/idle speeds.

Steve
1968 El Camino, 402 with TKO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 07, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via MSN to Grumpy 427

I use a long waterpump and spin the motor to 6800 on the motor, and it will most likely see 7400 on nitrous going through the top end. well i guess i will just have to live with it?

My other car. 1977 camaro prostreet car.
9.65 @ 137 MPH-1.39-60' more left in the car.

My 1969 Chevelle.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 2:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Hmmm... that works out to 9250 RPM at the fan. I have seen some 8000 RPM fan ratings. So this is definitely something you need to watch out for.

I might consider converting over to electric fans in your case.

Steve
1968 El Camino, 402 with TKO
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy 427 View Post
I was just checking my pulleys on my 454, and they are from Classic camaro. The crank is 6-1/2" and the waterpump is 6" should the crank be larger to drive the waterpump faster to increase flow and cooling?

My 468 has 12.3-1 compression, AFR heads and a big soild roller. It made 708 HP on the dyno, and 622 TQ. The distributor is locked at 38 degrees timing,so it has 38 inital as well. The cooling is as follows a griffen 2 row 31x19 rad, new 16 LB rad cap 180 Robert shaw stat.and a GM shrowd. the fan is a Plastic 17" flexalite fan.

On warm days the car will run 200-210 sitting in traffic once i get it rolling in clean air, it drops down to 190. I was wondering if i need to increase the crank pulley size if that would help? Or is this just the way its going to be with this type of engine on the street.

Sheldon
I have the same problem,today a race car mech. told me to use a larger then stock water pump pulley,he says you want the water to flow slower so it carries the heat out to the radiater.Iam looking now for a bigger dia. pulley for my 454.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 8:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

On my one owner LS-5/M-22- with A/C it has all the Org. engine pulleys. All the pulley numbers start with " AO " . If you need any pulley Diameters let me know. I also run the 811TX water pump.
P.S. Stock clutch fans & Blades, For the most part never spin over THREE grand.
ALL the big three Ford, Mopar, G.M. big cube High H.P. engines ALL had clutch fans. The MOPAR 426 Hemi GAINED 17 H.P. using a clutch fan. Overdriving the water pump may cause the coolant to be removed from the heat exchanger before it has dropped in temp. The correct fan blade, Moves XXXX number or Cu. Ft. per Min. not only pulls ambient air through the heat exchanger it also removes Super Heated Air from the engine bay.
Super Heated Air will cause problems such as VAPOR LOCK or boiled fuel, High engine Temps Etc,Etc.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

Last edited by Robinls5; Apr 15th, 19 at 8:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in