5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 9:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Vintage Air 70-72 Glove Box

Anyone instal a Vintage Air unit is a 70-72 recently? I just got a system in to do a 71 and I’m reading that 2” on the back of the glove box need to be removed. This car is an original owner SS with the original dash I already restored. I am NOT cutting the dash for this. Looking to see if anyone can confirm this is the case with this system.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:20 AM
Tech Team

Re: Vintage Air 70-72 Glove Box

Hi
Keep the original part and substitute for a part your willing to cut up.
Its obvious but if a cars that original fit a factory air system . Although fairly rare some GM cars had dealer fitted "factory air".
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy 6x6 View Post
Hi
Keep the original part and substitute for a part your willing to cut up.
Its obvious but if a cars that original fit a factory air system . Although fairly rare some GM cars had dealer fitted "factory air".

That's not an option with this car. It not a factory AC car nor had dealer installed air. I already restored the dash board I am NOT changing it out and cutting another one up. It's not that simple on a 70-72 car.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:31 AM
Tech Team
John

I have a 70, when I did the install I did the 2” trim thing. That leaves a little over 1.5” between the back of the modified glovebox and the evap/fan box.

In the pic the arrow points to the supplied glovebox back panel.

I guess in reality you could trim only 1/2” off, but then the supplied panel won’t fit. You’d have to make your own.

I’m gonna say you can’t do the install without trimming the glovebox....unless you want to “force” the dash back on in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69440567-E915-4614-BF93-710D4CECDAA5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	634884  
72McBowtie likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Like I said, cutting a restored original SS dash is out of the question. I suppose I’ll be calling vintage Air Monday morning. The owner of the car is anxious to get it back. Designing the evaporater box so this has to be done is a piss poor design.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:46 AM
Tech Team
John

Maybe classic air has a smaller evap box?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

I’ll have to look at their instructions online. I’m doing a classic air system in a 66 now as well. It’s a nicer setup IMO.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 7:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

My 70 SS dash with a Classic AC system required no trimming of the back of the glove box. It fits nicely with no problems for foot / leg space above the footwell. I have zero complaints about the installation and operation of my Classic system.

Rick
BlueSS454 and LeoP like this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 20, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Like I said, cutting a restored original SS dash is out of the question. I suppose I’ll be calling vintage Air Monday morning. The owner of the car is anxious to get it back. Designing the evaporater box so this has to be done is a piss poor design.
Isn't the glove box a separate part like on older models, or why do you have to cut the dash? Vintage Air's website says that the Surefit system comes with a replacement glove box: https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/c...model=Chevelle

1969 Malibu in progress
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 7:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Isn't the glove box a separate part like on older models, or why do you have to cut the dash? Vintage Air's website says that the Surefit system comes with a replacement glove box: https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/c...model=Chevelle
No. It’s molded into the dash housing.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 12:36 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

I cut mine and didn't think anything of it. I agree there is room behind it. I can try to removed the dash pad again to photo it if you would like.
chevelle-427 likes this.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

I ordered a Classic Air system and will be using that as the dash will n it need to be cut. I have the Vintage Air setup that will either be resold or sent back.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 20, 5:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Anyone instal a Vintage Air unit is a 70-72 recently? I just got a system in to do a 71 and I’m reading that 2” on the back of the glove box need to be removed. This car is an original owner SS with the original dash I already restored. I am NOT cutting the dash for this. Looking to see if anyone can confirm this is the case with this system.
Yes, I did have to shorten the rear of the glove box using the supplied filler piece that comes in the kit. I didn't mind losing about an inch of storage and it's not visible.

Claude.
chevelle-427 likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 20, 10:03 AM

I cut back of box for clearance
Cant see it or tell it's been cut.
But You can tell the big OEM unit is not out on firewall anymore and the vacuum operated ac controls.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 20, 10:05 AM

Swap it out for a under dash one maybe

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in