Need some help/recommendations please:
What I have and added so far:
1. 1970 Chevelle, rebuilt 454 big block stroked out to 496, about a year old. Isky racing cam, long tube headers, Holley 4 barrel carb (750 cfm), Edelbrock intake manifold, new temp sensors and gauges (and moved sensor location a couple times to ensure it's not on air bubble), no A/C or heater.
2. After starting car and driving, temp goes thru 190 to ~ 200 and then after a few moments, temp drops below 190 (guessing that it cools down because rad fans come on at 185). Then temp starts creeping up no matter if driving fast, slow or idling to 230 and if I allow it, past it to 235 and up.
3. Installed new Griffin aluminum radiator (Summit # GRI-6-00006) 2 row, dual 17" electric fans, 1734 cfm each, core width = 28". After installation, have drained it, refilled, scoped it out to see if any blockages, put dye in to try to detect whether head gasket blown (nothing detected). Large rad hoses have been replaced with new ones. New overflow container, correct rad cap.
4. Experimented with taking thermostat completely out and with different restrictor plates. Ended up with one restrictor plate.
5. 7 quart oil pan. Installed an oil cooler with electric fan on radiator part. Changed oil.
6. Upgraded alternator to 150 amp.
7. Tried several different timing settings but ended up with 55 degrees BTDC.
8. And some other stuff can't think of at the moment.
Any other suggestions? Am I doomed? Can this be fixed, I mean, is there a possibility that I will never get this thing to stay at a reasonable temperature?
Thanks for any response/help.
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)
454 cid (496 stroker)
Holley 4 bbl 750 cfm
Muncie M21 (Hurst shifter)
Long tube headers
Tuxedo Black - black interior