Team Chevelle banner

Approx cost of Vintage air installed

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cv67 
#1 ·
Debating scrapping the resto on my 1500, selling it and getting a nice done Pre 75 camino for a true daily think its $ doable
I cant see any downside....Dont have any need for electronics.
Many dont have ac or heat or its missing.

Ballpark what would I need to buy the system and have someone install it??? My back is wasted otherwise Id do it myself but better have a pro do it.

Is it better to buy a non ac car in the first place? The ones that did have ac are all missing the compressor I ehar the newer style are much better so may as well start fresh-

Guessing would be a 67-72 something like that.

Thanks.

Also would a blower from maybe a station wagon system fit? Is it even needed, have no idea how hard those blow but for a daily want it blasting pretty good.

#2 ·
HI
Try to get a vehicle with as complete as possible in regards the A/C and heating . The factory a/c and heater box will need repair.
Factory air con evaporator replace
hoses replace
receiver drier replace
compressor --upgrade to a Sanden rotary

Misc
flush with white spirit [shellite] the condenser using compressed air
refoam airbox doors if needed
professionally leak test heater core

A factory fit aircon that works is rare but typically worth more than a car without .
The only time I would purchase a aftermarket air is if was designed for exact model of car .

#4 ·
that's the issue of having too many cars and not enough time to keep driving them. the critters love to get in them.
I cheaped out on my 66, I bought a new old school under dash unit for $500 and a set of sbc brackets for 100. jim

#7 ·
:cool: Since you're looking at purchasing a new one, why not get one with a factory A/C (preferably working). Why? Because none of the aftermarket add-on A/C units have a fresh air intake. They simply take air from the passenger compartment and cool it - over and over and over. This recycling tends to increase the humidity level in the passenger compartment. In Minnesota, in the humid summer weeks, this can be an issue. Driving with the windows cracked kind of defeats the purpose of having A/C, eh?

I'm sure guys driving in Texas don't get the humidity buildup, but just sayin'.

#8 ·
Most older ac cars I see are missing the compressor....would a modern style one work ok? Or is everything else so old its junk?
Never wanted ac on an old car til now, as it will be a DD. Weekend toy couldnt care less.
Humidiity usually isnt a problem out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.