Accessory Fan - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Accessory Fan

There’s a good thread that gives a lot tips for proper cooling, like fan clutch and shroud and other things but it doesn’t mention anything about an accessory fan when engine is idle, when stuck in traffic.

Would it be a good idea to put this fan in front of my radiator that I can turn on when in traffic?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264506525254
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 8:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Accessory Fan

No it would block air flow through the radiator and cause more heat by working the engine harder to make the electric to run it.. Those things are good for moving air inside the cab for heat or ac but that's it..
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 9:37 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I run a fan very similar to that over the top of my 4L60E transmission fluid cooler but that's about all its good for.

Rick
shovelrick likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

What Jeff said

The worst thing you can do is to put something that will Restrict the Air Flow in Front of the Rad

The only DownFall of the Mechancial Fan is the slower the Engine RPMs the less the M Fan pulls Air thru the Rad

This is where Efans work better as they are at their Highest Pulling of Air all the Time
hydro462 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 1:16 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The 454 Suburban I did have before the 5.7 one I have now had an electric fan in front of the radiator that came on when needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 6:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What do you do when your car is idling in bumper to bumper traffic? Rely on electric fans?
hydro462 likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Ever feel how much air a clutch fan moves at idle when fully engaged? To me it feels like a lot more then one of those electric fans at full speed. Remember, I am talking about a properly functioning clutch fan with the bi metal correctly adjusted.. I would venture to say most of them are NOT correctly adjusted. I had to teach myself how to adjust them since there are no directions that I could find..

These fans are so cool, the way they work, the way they look, how efficient they operate. I can't get over that people would want those ugly electric things with all that wiring all over the place.. I guess I'm just an old head from the Duntov 30/30 era. I love how we did things back in the sixties and seventies before all this ugly, complicated tech came in and took the fun away from these cars..

Last edited by hydro462; Dec 15th, 19 at 9:23 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelco View Post
What do you do when your car is idling in bumper to bumper traffic? Rely on electric fans?
Yes as that is all I have on my car

No room for a Mech Fan either

And have have never had a Blowout/overflow of Coolant

Dependent on the day's Temp the Temp Gauge reads from 160* to 190*
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

Born 283 / PG / A51
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
60' = 1.547

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 12:22 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Quote:
Yes as that is all I have on my car

And have have never had a Blowout/overflow of Coolant

Dependent on the day's Temp the Temp Gauge reads from 160* to 190*

I am thinking about removing the stock fan and clutch from my 396 1966, it has never really kept it from the verge of overheating in stop and go traffic. At least the electric fan will always be consistent with his much air they are moving.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 4:32 PM
Tech Team
Rick

I run my two Cold Case electric fans completely separate from each other. They each have their own power, ground, relay, temperature probe and adjustable thermostat for complete redundancy and safety. This is Four Seasons part number 35879 but I use two of them.

Regardless of engine temperature, the relay even kicks the passenger side fan on instantly when the AC compressor clutch engages. This is needed to control AC compressor head pressures.

Rick
shovelrick likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hydro462, how do you adjust them? I think vintage air has one I almost bought. Do you have a 7 blade fan and fan shroud? Any idea what fan shroud a 64 uses? It probably depends on the radiator you have. I think the original radiator was square, mine is clearly not.
I also need to add a temperature gauge.
And tachometer. Might has well replace the dash but they’re $700!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 5:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
I am thinking about removing the stock fan and clutch from my 396 1966, it has never really kept it from the verge of overheating in stop and go traffic. At least the electric fan will always be consistent with his much air they are moving.
I have one Efan on a Temp Sender at the Thermostat Housing in the Intake set at 160*
and the 2nd Efan on a Toggle Switch under the Dash which I usually only have to turn on when in City Traffic
or the Temp Gauge reads 190*

They both have their own Relays & Power from the Battery Red + Post

You can get the Wiring/Temp Sender from SPAL like I did

If you have a Stock DF Rad with a Core that = 16" Hi x 23.5" Wide then this is the SPAL Dual 11" Efans you need
and which I also have
https://www.spalusa.com/products/fan...2ffans%2f11%2f

If you need a Rad then Dewitts sells the one like I have in my 67
and you will have to get them to attach Brackets to it so you can attach the Efans/Shroud kit
OR just buy the complete setup from them.

I have the Manual one # 1149002M and run a small Separate Trans Cooler
https://www.dewitts.com/collections/...minum-radiator

JEGs or other places sell them cheaper

DO NOT use the Temp Prob for in the Rad

Born 283 / PG / A51
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
60' = 1.547

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 8:02 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Quote:
I have one Efan on a Temp Sender at the Thermostat Housing in the Intake set at 160*
and the 2nd Efan on a Toggle Switch under the Dash which I usually only have to turn on when in City Traffic
or the Temp Gauge reads 190*

They both have their own Relays & Power from the Battery Red + Post

You can get the Wiring/Temp Sender from SPAL like I did

If you have a Stock DF Rad with a Core that = 16" Hi x 23.5" Wide then this is the SPAL Dual 11" Efans you need
and which I also have
https://www.spalusa.com/products/fan...2ffans%2f11%2f

If you need a Rad then Dewitts sells the one like I have in my 67
and you will have to get them to attach Brackets to it so you can attach the Efans/Shroud kit
OR just buy the complete setup from them.

I have the Manual one # 1149002M and run a small Separate Trans Cooler
https://www.dewitts.com/collections/...minum-radiator

JEGs or other places sell them cheaper

DO NOT use the Temp Prob for in the Rad

I was thinking why even use a thermostat switch I was just going to wire the relays to the ignition, car running the fans are on simple no extra stuff to go wrong.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 10:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
I was thinking why even use a thermostat switch I was just going to wire the relays to the ignition, car running the fans are on simple no extra stuff to go wrong.
No good--believe it or not an engine can run too cool for it's own good.It's not that common nowadays but years ago you would see lots of cars with cardboard blocking their grills during the winter.
Not counting drag engines a street cars engine will not run good at too cool of a temp.Some people have used a switched fan and that can work if you watch it's temps all the time.The problem with that style is people tend to forget to hit the switch.The best coolant fans use a coolant switch that is in one of the cylinder head ports and comes on automatically when the engine reaches a set temperature.Doing it this way at most highway driving speeds the fans are just along for the ride.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
You have received a lot of incorrect information.

Chevy produced a lot of high performance big blocks that stayed cool with a shroud, fan and thermal clutch.

Nothing special needed.

The thermal clutch fan locks up and turns the 6 to 7 blade fan one-to-one at idle. It will flow a lot of air and with a correct shroud the engine will stay cool.

The clutch starts to slip at higher speeds when the car is moving and no longer needs help to move air through the radiator.

Stock parts work.

The only reason modern cars went with electric fans was front drive cars have the engine turned sideways.

The engine can't drive a fan when it isn't facing the radiator !
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in