1970 kick panel knob function - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

2Likes
  • 1 Post By vtchopperdude
  • 1 Post By Dean

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage
1970 kick panel knob function

Hey fellas, just trying to figure out the function of the knobs on the kick panels. My car is an AC car, but with the 2 kick panel knobs. From my research, factory AC cars didn't have these knobs, but I don't think my car was originally AC. I can see the lower vent open and close with the lower knob. It works properly with the push pull function. However, the upper knob...I'm a bit confused. My buddy came over, and pulled on the upper knob, and it came almost all the way out, and no resistance when pushing back in. Where is it supposed to connect to and can I get to it easily? I noticed that after he pulled the upper knob out, and then pushed it back in, warm air started coming from the dash vents, even with the heat/AC off. Is the vent stuck open now?? Where does that vent pull air from? I would assume the cowl?? Would air be coming from all dash vents (both sides and center)?

1970 Chevelle 454, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt, 3.31, AC, PS, PB, Ridler 695, Nitto 555
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage
Re: 1970 kick panel knob function

more details...

the flapper door in the cowl was not functioning, so I think this may be a coincidence that all this happened. My current situation, hot air from center vents and side vents. It blows regardless of switch position on the control head. Even when I move selector to AC, it still blows hot air. I was messing around with the distributor a few days ago, but I looked just a second ago and everything seems to be in place including the line off the PCV to the heater control. The car didn't start doing this until a few days ago. So, with it blowing hot air all the time, is that a vacuum issue? I have a ON/OFF valve under the hood, and I switched it to off, but still get warm air.

1970 Chevelle 454, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt, 3.31, AC, PS, PB, Ridler 695, Nitto 555
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

The heater control needs fill time vacuum, only t off the trans modulator, not the PCV, good luck with your car!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 12:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

The 70 non a/c cars have a vent in the cowl as seen below. You would have 2 knobs in the kick panel on these non a/c cars. One of the knobs goes to a valve in the cowl vent to stop airflow through the vents. The other knob goes to the footwell vent. A 70 original factory a/c car has no cowl tube as shown in Dean's picture below. A 70 A/C car has no vent controls on the kick panels.

Maybe your heater door is not closing completely or the seals are bad on the door. A quick fix is to install a positive coolant shut off valve into the heater line. If you have the stock shut off valve, it's probably leaking heated coolant through the heater. It's controlled by vacuum, so check to see if you have vacuum at the valve with the heater on/off. I've seen quite a few of these heater shutoff valves that leak heated coolant past the valve even when supplied with a good vacuum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NONair_vent  70 factory air cars didn't have the two big vent holes with the flappers through th.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	610442  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 8:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage
I attempted to look in the passenger side cowl and discovered this. The vacuum line didn’t go anywhere and this flapper door was just lodged in the cowl. I’m assuming this is the vacuum operated flapper door that is mentioned for AC cars?? Maybe it was retrofitted?? But, it doesn’t look like it has been functioning for a long time, so I don’t think it is the cause of the constant warm air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7101652A-41DA-4C53-B586-70947DCE2460_1576065489696.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	610446  

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 8:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
The heater control needs fill time vacuum, only t off the trans modulator, not the PCV, good luck with your car!!

where is that located?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 8:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
The 70 non a/c cars have a vent in the cowl as seen below. You would have 2 knobs in the kick panel on these non a/c cars. One of the knobs goes to a valve in the cowl vent to stop airflow through the vents. The other knob goes to the footwell vent. A 70 original factory a/c car has no cowl tube as shown in Dean's picture below. A 70 A/C car has no vent controls on the kick panels.

Maybe your heater door is not closing completely or the seals are bad on the door. A quick fix is to install a positive coolant shut off valve into the heater line. If you have the stock shut off valve, it's probably leaking heated coolant through the heater. It's controlled by vacuum, so check to see if you have vacuum at the valve with the heater on/off. I've seen quite a few of these heater shutoff valves that leak heated coolant past the valve even when supplied with a good vacuum.

There is an aftermarket shut off valve installed by the PO. I opened it up when I was flushing the coolant, and shut it back off, so I find it interesting that I'm still getting warm air blowing through the vents.

Speaking of vacuum, my heater vacuum line is split off of the PCV line from the valve cover to manifold. I installed a breather on the opposite valve cover this weekend. Would that cause lose of vacuum? I guess I'm a bit confused... So the heater control needs constant vacuum in order to NOT blow air??

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 8:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
The 70 non a/c cars have a vent in the cowl as seen below.

Is that vent on both sides? The passenger side doesn't have that round vent. It has that not functioning vacuum controlled flapper. Picture in previous post.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtchopperdude View Post
where is that located?

If you have an automatic trans, the vacuum modulator has a line that goes from the modulator to the rear of the intake with a fitting that has two possible vacuum tee's, one could be for the brake booster(the larger one) and one small one for the vacuum line that goes to the modulator, with a short rubber vacuum hose at each end, take a look to see if you have that fitting in the manifold behind the carb!!

Leo Paugh
A.C.E.S.#3731

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
If you have an automatic trans

I have a 4 spd Munice
71350SS likes this.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 3:17 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtchopperdude View Post
Is that vent on both sides? The passenger side doesn't have that round vent. It has that not functioning vacuum controlled flapper. Picture in previous post.
Yes, the vent shown is on both sides on non A/C 70 cars.

At the time I took that picture I had a non A/C 70 in one bay and an A/C 70 in one of the other bays to compare
71350SS likes this.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

This might help :

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/32-...72-malibu.html

As much that I remember the vacuum hose should go to the heat A/C control panel and from there are a bunch of silicon type hoses that branch out.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Since you don't have A/C, there shouldn't be a coolant control valve in the heater hose,it only actually shuts off the coolant during the MAX position. good luck with your car!!

Leo Paugh
A.C.E.S.#3731

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Adam

Garage

I do have AC, but I don't think it originally had AC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in