66 BBC Rad? - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

6Likes
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78
  • 2 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By Kirk's67SS
  • 1 Post By 427L88
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 9:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

66 BBC Rad?

Putting a BBC in my 66 Chevelle and looking at rads. They list 2 different upper rad hose locations. Which is the best or correct?? Excuse the question but I bought the car in boxes and have no rad to compare.
Thanks in advance.

Kevin
The more people I meet the more I love my dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: 66 BBC Rad?

A 66/67 Chevelle has the Inlet on the Upper Driverside and the Outlet on the Bottom Passengerside

Auto or Manual Trans ?
my car is a Auto but I have a Manual Rad because I prefer running a separate Trans Cooler

You want a 2 Row 1.25" Tube Core Rad # 1149002M like this one that I have in my Car with a BBC producing 550 hp
which keeps my Engine Temp at 180* or less

There are many suppliers
https://www.dewitts.com/collections/...minum-radiator

Cold Case

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 1:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/gn View Post
Putting a BBC in my 66 Chevelle and looking at rads. They list 2 different upper rad hose locations. Which is the best or correct?? Excuse the question but I bought the car in boxes and have no rad to compare.
Thanks in advance.
IF you want "correct" or fairly close, ALL '66 Chevelle BBC radiators will have the cap offset toward the drivers side (see Kirks picture above).

The radiator cap should also be tilted toward the rear, with the top tank being slanted in the area around the cap...

There are some that are pretty close (Ausleys, Hinshaws and probably some other suppliers), close enough that most people probably wont notice... Mostly copper radiators... I understand not using the "Harrison" embossing due to licensing issues, but I always wondered why some manufacturer didn't make an aluminum radiator with a nearly-correct top tank...

Check out the "sticky" at the top of this section, there is a great thread detailing the details and pictures of '66 and '67 BBC radiators...
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the input and PMs I received. I am going to go with the Cold case rad and I am leaning towards there dual electric fan set up with harness and sender. This is not a numbers matching or factory looking restoration. I am trying to keep it stock looking but making some things a little better. like larger sway bars etc.
Thanks again for the input.
Kevin

Kevin
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I would look into the Champion radiator. Ive had two of them now and they both worked out nicely..

I would use the stock clutch fan and shroud.. Simple, affordable and pulls a lot of air when the stator is engaged...

The GM A body was designed to have constant under hood air flow while in operation. That big clutch fan is also helping to keep the passenger compartment cool...
boyd66k20 and p40 like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the input and PMs I received. I am going to go with the Cold case rad and I am leaning towards there dual electric fan set up with harness and sender. This is not a numbers matching or factory looking restoration. I am trying to keep it stock looking but making some things a little better. like larger sway bars etc.
Thanks again for the input. Kevin

Does it have a Shroud and Rubber Hwy Flaps ?

Does it have separate Relays for each Efan ??

Born 283 / PG / A51
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
60' = 1.547

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes there set up is sold separately. Rad, dual fans, harness and sender.

Kevin
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 1:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Yes there set up is sold separately. Rad, dual fans, harness and sender.
Is this the Efan/Shroud Unit ?
https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/pr...luminum-shroud
If so it is not among the best !

- Metal Shrouds tend to keep the Heat at the Rad / Heat Soak
while a Plastic/Fiber Shroud does not

- No Rubber Flaps to Open up at Hwy Speed to allow more Air Flow
and to close at Slower Speeds to let the Efans Pull more Air thru the Rad Core

- who makes/manufactures the Efans, there are good ones and then there are not SO good ones

Here is the SPAL Dual 11" Efans/Shroud I have had on my car since May/2012
and they keep my BBC Engine Temp at 180* or less on the Hwy / in City Traffic /
and at the Track doing Back to Back 1/4 Mile Runs

https://www.spalusa.com/products/fan...2ffans%2f11%2f

427L88 likes this.

Born 283 / PG / A51
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
60' = 1.547

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 7:37 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I use a Harrison, recored, with an mid 80 Z28 clutch ( hayden), 7( or 9?) 8 blade steel GM fan and shroud. 605 hp and it runs at where the therm lets it. OEM like, and very effective. No electric fans, no relays, no surpentine crap, no nothing but cooling.

So it can be done in a very oem way, and still cool gobs of power. Please forgive the upsidedown flip and non-oem overflow. I've yet to re-rig that.

OEM 66 rads typically had no shroud and a hand guard on the top of the rad. Now that oem look I wouldnt think could keep 600 ponies under temps. Plus both 66 and 67s used a fixed four blade fan, Unacceptable at 7400 rpms. Even with the new 467 limited to 6300 rpm, I dont prefer the "school bus fan" sound. So a caveat, true oem wont cool built engines well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MJ467 Holley 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	608708  
boyd66k20 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 2:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
...OEM 66 rads typically had no shroud and a hand guard on the top of the rad… Plus both 66 and 67s used a fixed four blade fan...
Typically? I guess... but LOTS of '66's did use factory shrouds... No break downs on which models and obviously some overlap between options, but overall, 14% had RPO C60, A/C (which included shroud and 5-blade clutch fan), 12% had RPO K19, smog (which included the shroud and 5-blade clutch fan), another 1% had RPO K02, Fan Drive (which was the clutch fan setup without the shroud), Another 6% used the RPO V01, Heavy Duty Radiator (with shroud but not the clutch fan), and of course, RPO L78 which included the K02 option (on about 3% of available models).

I ended up using a "stock" shroud and a 7-blade GM fan (#772?) with a HD clutch. Worked great.

I know many of us look for genuine "GM" parts, but I have seen some places like Ground Up offering kits with repro 5, 6 and 7-blade clutch fans (for short water pump setups)… Suppliers like Ausley's and Ground Up offer repro radiators that look very similar to the OE pieces.
boyd66k20 likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 11:44 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Typically? I guess... but LOTS of '66's did use factory shrouds...

true, should have said SOME, but many I've seen. The shroudless ones have that finger guard the resto folks gets all excited about.

To reiterate, I've never use the stock 67 SS396 setup on a modern hi performance engine, nor the 66, but a later variant that looks all oem to most, like Tony outlines.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 6:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
The shroudless ones have that finger guard the resto folks gets all excited about.
A lot could be regional... Since I am in California, they pretty much all had the shrouds and the AIR system. Even when people removed the smog, they probably left the shroud... Being in the SouthWest probably makes a difference too...

Yeah, many people really seem to go crazy for those finger guards... I picked up a factory 4-row for $60 (needs a core) and I was VERY happy that it didn't use the finger guard. I am planning to run a shroud anyway...

Now I am debating having it recored, or just buying a repro replacement and selling it...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

UPDATE
Thanks for all the opinions. The upside down pic still looks great and very nice job. I have decided to go with the Cold Case rad ordered locally. I may paint the tanks and mounts satin black but will make that decision down the road. I am also going with a stock shroud and a 6 or 7 blade clutch fan.
I am building this for a friend that owns a body shop so I am only doing the mechanical. I think the clutch fan is just more simple and the look he is going for. Not disagreeing with the electric fan opinions and it is probably the route I would go if it was my car.

Thanks again, great ideas and opinions. Good group on here.

Kevin
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 4:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

FWIW....My 66 was a Flint Car, I bought it in Michigan and drove it home to California. Its a 325hp 396 4-Speed, came with a 4 Blade Fan and "No" Shroud. No gauges, so for the first several years I never knew what temp it was running at. When I did finally install Gauges, the Water Temp never went above the 180* mark, no matter what the conditions were. 180* thermostat. installed.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in