“Winter” project done already - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank69
  • 1 Post By Frank69

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 6:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

“Winter” project done already

Was going to spend the “long California winter” doing this update project on my 67 SS, but the parts and manpower came together and we had it knocked out in a few days. Installed a new Ron Davis crossflow radiator with dual electric fans, an Eddie Motorsports serpentine belt setup and a new Borgeson 12.7:1 steering box.

The car is cold as ice now and steers like a new car. With the old stock ps box it required constant steering input, especially on the freeway. I was able to ditch the old Champion radiator (leaking at the top seam) and flex fan, so now won’t worry about overheating any more.

Had a few issues along the way, but nothing too major. The big Spal fans that came with the RD radiator wouldn’t fit, so had to use a pair of Flexalite low profile fans instead. The power steering pump with attached reservoir wouldn’t work because it hit the ps box. Had to install a remote reservoir. Found out the really nice 12:1 Turn One box I bought from a member on another forum wouldn’t work for some reason, so had to grab the Borgeson one real quick. We spent a lot of time on the phone with Turn One tech support and had it in and out of the car twice. It just wouldn’t work with power. Put old box back in with new pump setup good to go. Put new Borgeson in, perfect. Will send the Turn One box to them to diagnose, or take it over to Lee’s to check out. Lee’s is near my house.

Overall I’m pleased with the look and performance of the setup. Ran over budget with the unexpected issues, but that’s how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blown1932 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 7:43 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: “Winter” project done already

I'm running that same Borgeson box on my 66, it really does drive nice.

I'm also going to be running that same PS reservoir but mounted it on the radiator support next to the radiator overflow tank.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 7:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post

I'm also going to be running that same PS reservoir but mounted it on the radiator support next to the radiator overflow tank.

That will be better. I just didn’t think there was room. It’s pretty solid, bolted to the fender support so I think I’ll be okay.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 7:58 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank69 View Post
That will be better. I just didn’t think there was room. It’s pretty solid, bolted to the fender support so I think I’ll be okay.

I'm sure it will be fine. I wasn't being critical, just conversing.

66 CHEVELLE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I'm sure it will be fine. I wasn't being critical, just conversing.

Me too. I was actually a bit worried about stability mounting it there. I wish the overflow was on the other side. Time will tell I guess.

senna likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 10:02 AM
Eric

Garage

Nice looking setup Frank.I'm your neighbor to the North up in West Palmdale. I've been thinking about going to a similar setup as i've been chasing a temp creep on my 67 with a 454.Currently running a 4 core stock(flushed and checked) rad with flex fan and don't have room for a clutch fan setup.How thick is the Spal fan that came with your RD ? Wondering if I can fit one in my setup.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubrules View Post
How thick is the Spal fan that came with your RD ? Wondering if I can fit one in my setup.

The radiator with the big Spal fans is 7.5” thick. I really thought I had everything measured correctly and it would fit with the serpentine setup. I was off by about .5”. When trying to install everything, we figured out that the previous owner had used mounts that actually moved the motor forward from the stock position. The best I can figure is that they did it for header clearance. At that point I had the choice of using slimmer fans or relocating the motor, which would have required at least new headers. I’ll tackle that down the road, If I decide to swap in a Tremec 5 speed.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 3:38 PM
Eric

Garage

Thanks for the info Frank69...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in