Alternative heating? - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Alternative heating?

I removed the hoses to my heater core long ago, so I haven't been running heat for ages now. I am thinking of removing the entire heating duct assembly under the dash, but I am wondering if there is a way of doing some sort of electric heater that I could install during the cold months or if I ever road trip the car.

Doable or am I thinking out of my a$$?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Alternative heating?

There are electric heaters that plug into cigarette lighter sockets for cars, we used to see them at the various car parts catalogue stores like J.C. Whitney. Check E-Bay, google it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:51 PM
Tech Team
Rick

It would take a lot of amps at 12 volts to equal very many watts of heating. And you would need a hole lotta' watts in Canada!!

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 11:38 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Get one of those gasoline heaters like dad had and people use to put in Volkswagons.
https://www.ebay.com/i/262075604075?...EaAhomEALw_wcB

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Oddly enough I went to a cruise in tonight and a guy with a 69 Chevelle had a cab heater haha. It was horribly bulky and apparently dangerous so I'd pass on that one.

@B52bombardier1 my concern is the wattage as well. Typical space heaters are up to 1500 watts. I doubt i'd even need 1000 watts for the confined space of a car, really just my feet honestly.... but I'd assume that's stick quite a lot of power,.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

My question is; what would you do for defrost on a rainy day and to defrost the windows on a cold, frosty morning??
71350SS, blm and Kirk's67SS like this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 12:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Adding a second heating solution when you have one already designed for the car seems silly IMHO. Stock heat is great. I would put it back in if you want to drive the car in the cold.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
My question is; what would you do for defrost on a rainy day and to defrost the windows on a cold, frosty morning??
I don't really drive the car in the rain, only had some mild fog up once. If it's so cold the windows are frosted, then I'm not driving it anyways. It's more of a if I go on a road trip kind of idea. Outside of the beginning of the year or the end of the year, it gets too hot in the car.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChilders View Post
Adding a second heating solution when you have one already designed for the car seems silly IMHO. Stock heat is great. I would put it back in if you want to drive the car in the cold.
I figure there might be 20 lbs I could shed. I've driven without heat for years now, since 95% of the time I don't need it. But once in a while, it would be nice.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 1:30 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

I'm starting to see options for aftermarket electric heat here and there. Nothing looks really good though. I'm guessing it's probably just a cheap clone of the instant heat option offered in new luxury cars. Perhaps an option would be to get an inverter and run a really small space heater and/or an electric blanket?

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 2:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have found a few camper 12V heaters that might work, if I can find one the right size. Some even have duct output ports, which would be ideal so I could run the ducts towards the feet, and/or to the windshield.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 4:53 PM
Gold Member

With more electric cars being made, maybe looking at how they do their heat/defrost functions. Most likely they would be using a much higher voltage than what you can supply.
-SS454- likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 19, 9:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Just run a piece of slant fin tubing along the dash and connect it to two hoses. Put a ball valve somewhere handy and your set... Or pick up a trans cooler and run hot water through it with a small fan on it.. Summit sells units all ready to go fan and all..

I made a steel vent and ran it across the passenger side exhaust manifold and into the cab of my el camino. Something like the old VWs had, works well...

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Slant-Fi...CABEgIorfD_BwE
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 6:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

fireplace?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 6:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I have found a few camper 12V heaters that might work, if I can find one the right size. Some even have duct output ports, which would be ideal so I could run the ducts towards the feet, and/or to the windshield.

this will be like your wife's hair dryer on low setting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in