• 1 Post By B52bombardier1
  • 1 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By Robinls5

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Condenser and drier recommendation

Looking for a recommendation for a AC condenser and drier for a 66 el Camino/Chevelle. The 66 I bought didnít come with these. However, it did come with this compressor:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 10:18 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Condenser and drier recommendation

Looks like a used compressor. Any history on it? Me personally, I'd get a new compressor and not take any chances on a used compressor. Does that compressor fit your bracket mounts?

A parallel flow condenser is the best choice.

I like receiver-driers with a sight glass in the top to view any bubbles in the refrigerant flow. Bubbles, combined with the use of AC pressure gauges, are good diagnostic tools for how much refrigerant exists in the system.

Rick
69Chvll likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Here is what I know. I like to play with the old style C-60 G.M. A/C units.
I get 38 degrees out of the center vent on my 1970 ( Fake / Fraud ) SS 454, 70 Nomad Sta. Wgn. First I wanted to keep it looking close to a stock 70 A/C unit.
I sent my P.O.A. to Florida and had it set for R-134.--- #2--- I replaced all the A/C hoses with ( look like O.E.M. BUT R-134 compatible ). ---#3--- R-134 compatible dryer. ---#4--- Find the largest Parallel flow condenser that will fit. I also have from the Fla. guys a modern 10 Cyl. R-134 compressor (painted black). Charge it with 80% of the Org. R-12 Charge. Why ,, So much changing of parts?
.................................................. .................................................. .......
HOSES-- R-134 Molecules are much smaller than the R-12 and will bleed through the Org. style hoses, And the front SEAL of the old style A-6 compressor, unless you can find a new R-134 front seal. ( using org. hoses, and the A-6 you may have to recharge every 1-2 years)
DRYER-- Needs a different medium for R-134.
P.O.A.-- R-134 operates at a different pressure than R-12.
CONDENSER-- R-134 operates Appx. 20 % hotter than R-12. Need more Sq. Inches of cooling area.
EVAPORATOR--Your call, WHY? Can you guess how many Cu. Ft. of ( Dirt, Bugs, animal droppings, leaves, Etc,Etc.) air has gone through this unit in 40-50 years.
All of the above will give you KOLD air. Option # 2 Change out your old C-60 unit for Modern style R-134 G.M. unit. They work very well.
Option # 3 THE BEST OPTION on the planet,,,,,,, BARR NONE.
Rebuild your stock C-60 and shoot it with, Old Style "" R-12 "".
The old C-60 rebuilt along with R-12 is the KATS AZZ. The statement you just read about R-12 is " FACT " not fiction, And can not be DENIED !...
Be KOOL
Bob
P.S. My one owner 1970 LS-5/ M-22 El Camino uses R-12.
69-72 evaporator remove. Pull the engine side of the suitcase and it will come out. no need to remove the blower side of the suitcase. I just changed mine, Thanx John Souza, MD.
69Chvll likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 5:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Here is what I know. I like to play with the old style C-60 G.M. A/C units.

I get 38 degrees out of the center vent on my 1970 ( Fake / Fraud ) SS 454, 70 Nomad Sta. Wgn. First I wanted to keep it looking close to a stock 70 A/C unit.

I sent my P.O.A. to Florida and had it set for R-134.--- #2--- I replaced all the A/C hoses with ( look like O.E.M. BUT R-134 compatible ). ---#3--- R-134 compatible dryer. ---#4--- Find the largest Parallel flow condenser that will fit. I also have from the Fla. guys a modern 10 Cyl. R-134 compressor (painted black). Charge it with 80% of the Org. R-12 Charge. Why ,, So much changing of parts?

.................................................. .................................................. .......

HOSES-- R-134 Molecules are much smaller than the R-12 and will bleed through the Org. style hoses, And the front SEAL of the old style A-6 compressor, unless you can find a new R-134 front seal. ( using org. hoses, and the A-6 you may have to recharge every 1-2 years)

DRYER-- Needs a different medium for R-134.

P.O.A.-- R-134 operates at a different pressure than R-12.

CONDENSER-- R-134 operates Appx. 20 % hotter than R-12. Need more Sq. Inches of cooling area.

EVAPORATOR--Your call, WHY? Can you guess how many Cu. Ft. of ( Dirt, Bugs, animal droppings, leaves, Etc,Etc.) air has gone through this unit in 40-50 years.

All of the above will give you KOLD air. Option # 2 Change out your old C-60 unit for Modern style R-134 G.M. unit. They work very well.

Option # 3 THE BEST OPTION on the planet,,,,,,, BARR NONE.

Rebuild your stock C-60 and shoot it with, Old Style "" R-12 "".

The old C-60 rebuilt along with R-12 is the KATS AZZ. The statement you just read about R-12 is " FACT " not fiction, And can not be DENIED !...

Be KOOL

Bob

P.S. My one owner 1970 LS-5/ M-22 El Camino uses R-12.

69-72 evaporator remove. Pull the engine side of the suitcase and it will come out. no need to remove the blower side of the suitcase. I just changed mine, Thanx John Souza, MD.

Thanks for the information! Any part numbers for the requested recommended parts? Iíd like to use some that are proven to fit and work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 8:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

My condenser is from Fla. it is a DIRECT ,OEM fit for a 70-72 Chevelle. ( no chainsaw needed) Repo hoses from James Hinshaw. Dryer , Org. 1970 OEM. style Round Alum. not sure where I got it?
10 Cyl. compressor, uses ALL THE ORG. 1970 brackets. ( drop in replacement for the A-6) New Evaporator-from The parts place,Chicago.
Bob
69Chvll likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in