Electric fan relays question... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 7:38 AM
Tech Team

Re: Electric fan relays question...

I should clarify: Diodes across both the coil of the relay, to suppress the voltage spike generated when that is turned off, and also across the load (fan motor) would be good. The relay coil is an inductor, and thus generates a relatively high voltage spike when current through it is interrupted by turning it off. A DC motor is a bigger inductor, and so it generates an even bigger spike when the relay contacts open. THAT is what I was originally warning about-the voltage spike produced by opening the relay contacts will arc across them and ruin them, slowly. They gradually turn into a resistance heater.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 1:43 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Electrical connections get hot because they are not good enough connections.
I would agree that this is the most likely cause. Anytime I use crimp-on connector for high amp applications I also solder them. I try to use good quality American made connectors. Most are made in China now and of lower quality. Thinner and softer metal. A blade connector should have nice line contact on both sides and fit snug. The poorer quality ones contact on a point or two and feel loose. It's hit or miss with them.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 3:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

The crimp connectors available in auto parts and big box stores are junk. The Sta-kon connectors by Thomas & Betts are the only ones I rely on. Panduit makes a decent line of connectors too. A ratcheting crimp tool is the proper way to ensure a good wire crimp to the connector. The relay and wire overheating are caused by poor connectors. The diode addition is worthwhile.
paul bell likes this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 4:43 PM

Garage

Wow guys. I've never given thought to the quality of connectors. They look good when properly crimped and sometimes soldered. Then there's the ones you heat up and I guess some kind of solder melts in them. any opinions on those?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 5:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Agreed on the T&B crimps.

I would advise against using a torch or flame to heat a crimp to solder them, the crimp will lose some of it's heat treatment and won't grab it's counterpart very well.

A good iron of 900~1,000 degrees works great.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Tech Team
Cody

I prefer to use uninsulated terminals as much as possible and use heat shrink to finish it. It makes things much cleaner than trying to use a plastic coated connector.

Ratcheting crimpers are great but keep an eye out for the cheap brands, their dies are terrible. I have one of the sets from Iwiss, the crimper seems but the die for uninsulated terminals had to be filed down and shimmed to actually give a good crimp. The open barrel die was better for GM terminals, but took some finessing.

1971 Monte Carlo
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 6:31 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

At work we have crimp connectors with heat shrink already on them. Pretty slick, but i bet we pay through the nose for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in