Radiator - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 3:55 AM Thread Starter

Radiator

I need help bad. From somebody that has experienced the same issue. I have a 1970 chevelle 454CID, 700r, 411. I have an aluminum radiator made by Be-Cool. I also have an electric fan setup. The radiator is currently leaking. Before this one I had another be cool. It leaked. Before that I had two Griffin aluminum radiators. They ended up leaking. Either at the fins. Or at a wield.
My fans used to sit close to an inch off of the radiator. The car would run around 205-210. Too hot for my blood. I moved them closer. I got the car to run around 185-200.
Mostly she stays around 190 now. On to the question. Are these fancy looking aluminum radiators any damn good? I’m sick and tired of replacing raditors. Maybe I should order a bone stock OEM remake from summit. Which is much cheaper. And looks to be of a heavy duty construction. Has anybody experienced the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 7:01 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Radiator

I love my all aluminum Cold Case radiator. Aluminum tanks, not plastic. Aluminum welds, not epoxy. I'd buy another one in a nanosecond a thousand years from now when this one finally wears out.

A temperature of 205-210 is certainly not what many of us here would consider as being hot. I actually like that temperature to boil out moisture and unburned fuel contaminants from the engine oil.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 8:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I have a Champion Aluminum radiator in my 66 Chevelle that I put in 3 or 4 years ago, love it......so much I put one in my 56 210 when the old radiator started to leak. Both do the job for me, no leak problems ever.
hydro462 likes this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 9:22 AM
Tech Team

Garage

make sure everything is solid and no flex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I have a 70 with a 700R and a 468. I am using the VO-1 system with a stock 4 row Cop./Brass. rad from the junkyard. With all the 1970 factory items under the hood. ( its a 71 Caddy 4 row.) With no A/C the 468 runs on the stat. 165/175. With the A/C operating it gets up around 190/200.
On a hot day with the A/C operating. It will " SIT & IDLE " at 205 untill the fuel runs out.
Same thing without the A/C operating--185-190 all day.
Its about getting the SUPER HEATED AIR -OUT of the engine bay.
That ugly old 772 fan blade --NOT ONLY pulled air through the hear exchanger,, It also removed the super heated air from the engine bay. The air is designed to exit at the lower right and lower left exhaust manifolds.
Bob
boyd66k20 likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 10:01 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

What Bob said.

>>The car would run around 205-210. Too hot for my blood.

get new blood, yours is stuck in the 20rth century. really. Most modern cars don't even turn on the fans till 230.
LeoP and true136 like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

What cap pressure are you running? You're not getting combustion gas in the cooling system are you? Griffin and Be Cool are quality units and if you're going through them like that I have to suspect it's not the radiators fault.
blm and LeoP like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 1:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

I had a griffin radiator for several years with differ small blocks both mech fan(5 blade clutch fan) an electric fans(dual from the junkyard) no leaks never over 190 deg in head or 170 deg in intake.

When I went to a 489 BB 2007 I went with a alumitech(no longer in business) aluminum radiator and dual spal fans on a shroud. Also installed a powermaster 140 amp alternator with new wiring sized for the higher output.
Usually temps stays 180 deg in head in line up traffic and 185 on highwaydriving on some days with 90 deg or more and long trips 150 miles+ and heavy traffic I have seen 190 deg or slightly more.

Is your temp in intake or heads? Can different as much as 20 deg. Head reads higher.
Same to all that has responded with temps is your temp in head or intake? Some are not so great if in intake imho.

Are you sure you have enough power for the fans?
No electrolysis going on? Just a thought since you are on your third leaking radiator.
Electrolysis: What it is; How to Test for it; and Ways to Prevent it

A good 2 row Aluminum rad with at least 1 rows is about 20-30% more efficient than same size 4 row copper/brass radiator.

Dewitt or cold case seems like good option if you want aluminum rad and they should last long time if your fans are mounted so they dont flex or move and cause leaks wich they will on any material if they are moving around or you have no electrolysis going on wich will cause leaks like you described.

Since you have 70 with lots of room and orginally came with BB you havnt thought of trying a 7 blade clutchfan and a oem or repro plastic shroud with a direct fit alu radiator from someone like dewitt or cold case? Or are you running serpentine setup so you dont have enough room? Only reason I went electric fans with my BB was lack of space 64s dont have near as much space as a 70 for a good mech fan.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 1:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Cool Re: Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gd30082 View Post
I need help bad. From somebody that has experienced the same issue. I have a 1970 chevelle 454CID, 700r, 411. I have an aluminum radiator made by Be-Cool. I also have an electric fan setup. The radiator is currently leaking. Before this one I had another be cool. It leaked. Before that I had two Griffin aluminum radiators. They ended up leaking. Either at the fins. Or at a wield.
My fans used to sit close to an inch off of the radiator. The car would run around 205-210. Too hot for my blood. I moved them closer. I got the car to run around 185-200.
Mostly she stays around 190 now. On to the question. Are these fancy looking aluminum radiators any damn good? Im sick and tired of replacing raditors. Maybe I should order a bone stock OEM remake from summit. Which is much cheaper. And looks to be of a heavy duty construction. Has anybody experienced the same?
Sounds like you spending a lot of money on hot rod parts. I've never had a problem using stock. Maybe your installation is stressing your very cool custom aluminum radiators. Stress with vibration is tough on aluminum.
If mine ran at 190*F, I wouldn't even know it...I got a red light tells me there's a problem...Why not try a stock setup?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I'll add a little more misery into the picture. Aluminum radiators built on 2 rows flow more air through the fins than a 3 row brass radiator. What this means is that your electric fans may not be up to the task of pulling air through a 3 row brass radiator not to mention a 4 row.

Saving money on a brass radiator might force you to spend more on upgraded fans or re-upgrade to a stock fan, fan clutch, and shroud set up.

This is coming from a guy that swears by brass radiators and given the choice, would not install an aluminum radiator in his car.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 1:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
When I went to a 489 BB 2007 I went with a alumitech(no longer in business) aluminum radiator and dual spal fans on a shroud.
Yes, Alumitech is in business. Bought one of their LS conversion units for my Camaro :

https://www.universalpartsinc.com/shopping/?ic=10326

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I use a $150 ebay aluminum radiator that I painted black in my 11 second 1/4 mile LS6 that I drive everywhere. Runs 170-180* No electric fans.
Has the factory 7 blade clutch fan. If your engine has less than optimal timing,it will run hot.
Dan Orgill likes this.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 2:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Yes, Alumitech is in business. Bought one of their LS conversion units for my Camaro :

https://www.universalpartsinc.com/shopping/?ic=10326
I dont think thats same Alumitech, the rad I have has stamped tanks and the owner closed the business so he could take care of a sick father.

He is a member here.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/mem...oductions.html
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

Last edited by Malibu ss 64; Sep 4th, 19 at 3:07 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 3:49 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
What Bob said.

>>The car would run around 205-210. Too hot for my blood.

get new blood, yours is stuck in the 20rth century. really. Most modern cars don't even turn on the fans till 230.
205 water temp is fine if you have a 205 temp thermostat. If your cooling system can't regulate water temp to within a few degrees of the thermostat rating, you have inadequate cooling capacity.

Modern cars have much higher design set points, not 180. Their thermostats are designed to run much hotter. So that comparison is apples and oranges.

A properly operating cooling system with a 180 set point should be only a few degrees warmer than that, not 10, 20 or 30+

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
Malibu ss 64 and Kirk's67SS like this.

Scott
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 7:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Any type of cooling system that works is fine. I have been driving my ordered(by me)1970, LS-5 M/22 with A/C, With the stock 4 row brass and clutch fan.
WELL, So far in the last 49 years and 9 months my engine has never ran hot. My 1970 Sta.Wgn. driver is a 468 with a 700R4 it also has the 1970 V0-1 cooling system. Being driven over 40.000 miles with the (very dated 70s era & very efficient ) FACTORY cooling system.
I use the factory cooling system on both of my 70s 454 & 468. WHY? This cooling system with A/C worked very well in 1970 and it still works very well in 2019. My 1970- 468 never sees 210 degrees in traffic or parked in the sun with the A/C operating.
The wheel has been invented, Both of my big blocks have NO cooling issues.
So I have no interest in re/inventing the wheel. With a real good tune.up and some 1970 era junkyard parts, Your KAR will be KOOL !.....
A lot of the above words are fact & not fiction.....
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in