r134a numbers with stock Condenser & replacement POA - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Harry

Re: r134a numbers with stock Condenser & replacement POA

Latest test - I ran from cold start with 2 house fans in front of the condenser. These two fans are still not as good as a box fan. It was 82 deg. in the garage when I started, engine at 1400 rpm. This is the best numbers I got before things started to heat up. Check pics - low side 27.5, high side 138, center vent temp - 40 degrees. Based on these numbers I added 3 or 4 oz of R134a. High side seemed a little low, so, I figured I could use a few more ounces. I think I am pretty close. I was glad to get down to 27.5 on the low side.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Harry

I think I finally caught the Dragon ! Proper R134a content was the key to final success. My car is best with less than 48 oz. of R134a. Like mentioned in this forum before, I recommend you only put in 36 oz., then, drive around on a hot day and record your center vent temps on max high and add 2 oz at a time until you get your best temps.

Today, it was in the 90's here, and I was at 40-43 center vent temp cruising around all day. I also got some 39 degree readings. In addition idle center vent temp rises much slower and only 3 degrees or so.

I am pretty happy right now. It was not easy, but, it worked and I have one of the Koolest Chevelles around. Thanks Guys - (Al, Bob, Leo, etc..., actually, the whole board helped me !). What a great bunch !
LeoP and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

Harry
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 2:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Harry

New Update -
I replaced my heater control valve with a NOS GM, made in USA, heater control valve with the "bottle cap" seal that I bought on ebay. I tested it before installing it, and at 4 - 5 in hg., it completely blocks all passage of air or water.
I installed this valve, and used high density foam to seal the bottom of the condenser. I also added a reproduction rubber evaporator drain, mine was missing.
I re-did the placement and wrapping of my expansion valve bulb temperature sensor. I found this old 1968 GM stock photo, attached below, and my bulb is exactly the same, so, I set mine up exactly like that with two small hose clamps and only wrapped the part overlapping the suction line.

It has cooled off here. It was 75 deg. today and sunny. I went for a ride and the best I got was 29 deg. out of the center vent on max. high. at cruise. Mostly, center vent temp hovered around 31 deg. at max. hight, and idle was great - stabilizing around 37 degrees after about 3 min. on max high. It seems the system is working very good and the POA is also set correctly. The components seem top notch.

I think the only debate is my peanut sized compressor - Sanden SD7B10. I think it works fine in all conditions, but, in 105 degree heat, at idle, you would probably do better with a bigger compressor on the big stock Chevelle system. In my case, I prefer the compressor down low and not part of the showcase, so, that necessitates this small compressor, and I am happy with the cooling.

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in