Temp creep on 454 in my 69 - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 16th, 19, 5:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Temp creep on 454 in my 69

I currently have a 454 bored 20 over in my 69 Chevelle. Temperature creeps up at idle or moving slowly when running AC. I have a 7 blade fan with the recommended hayden clutch. I am using a factory style fan shroud from a 72 BBC because it covers more area on the radiator than the stock 69 shroud. I have a 4 row brass type radiator. I am running 30% antifreeze with distilled water. Timing is controlled by a Holley EFI (throttle body) fuel injection system. Using an Edlebrock high flow water pump. I really don't want to go with an electric fan setup but will if that is the only way to correct the issue. Any suggestions on improving cooling for this application?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 19, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Temp creep on 454 in my 69

Temp creeps up to what?

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
Old Jun 16th, 19, 6:19 PM
Tech Team

How far is the fan in the shroud?

Old Jun 16th, 19, 8:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Higher that normal. Tomorrow I will use my laptop and get some exact numbers.
Old Jun 16th, 19, 8:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

About half way inside the shroud. I have between two inches and 1 1/4" distance from blade tips to edge of shroud.
Old Jun 17th, 19, 12:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

How old is the radiator? Might be time for a cleaning and rodding out. Maybe a recore or upgraded radiator.

If you go electric, you'll have to upgrade your electrical system to handle the extra load and still no guarantee that it will cool.

What is your current timing set at? If you can bump it up more it may not creep up as fast.

Can you hear the fan kick in? When it's hot, check to see if the fan clutch has kicked in. Shut the engine down and try to spin it by hand. It should have some deceny resistance to turning. If it spins easily your fan clutch is bad.
Old Jun 17th, 19, 8:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69factorytach View Post
Higher that normal. Tomorrow I will use my laptop and get some exact numbers.
What are the temps at, extended idle and cruising at hwy speed. What temp rating thermostat are you running?

Old Jun 17th, 19, 8:28 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Couple of questions 1) what water pump are you running and how old; 2) are you using the stock pulleys that overdrive the water pump / fan like 20% from motor speed; 3) what kind of 454 are were talking about street, race etc compression? If you are having problems at idle and very slow speeds it is usually the fan, water pump, timing related - could be a bad radiator but we need more details on this. Also with AC on, the car will run like 20 degrees hotter so if were expecting the gauge not to move when you turned ac on that is not going to happen. The hot condenser really hurts on the cooling side. Do check the thermostat that is a quick fix.
Old Jun 17th, 19, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

I am running an Edlebrock aluminum high flow water pump that is about 10 years old but with only about 13K miles. Using stock pulleys. The 454 is a 1973 model with around 10 to 1 compression running headers and a Holley EFI system. Mild build cast iron heads that have been port match to the intake. The thermostat is a 180 degree unit. Is there a special recommendation for a certain type thermostat?
Old Jun 17th, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The 180 is fine, I use a stant superstat.

Old Jun 17th, 19, 12:00 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69factorytach View Post
I currently have a 454 bored 20 over in my 69 Chevelle. Temperature creeps up at idle or moving slowly when running AC. I have a 7 blade fan with the recommended hayden clutch. I am using a factory style fan shroud from a 72 BBC because it covers more area on the radiator than the stock 69 shroud. I have a 4 row brass type radiator. I am running 30% antifreeze with distilled water. Timing is controlled by a Holley EFI (throttle body) fuel injection system. Using an Edlebrock high flow water pump. I really don't want to go with an electric fan setup but will if that is the only way to correct the issue. Any suggestions on improving cooling for this application?
72 shrouds have a 19” opening. Is your fan 19”? If it is 17”, there’s your problem.
Old Jun 17th, 19, 3:27 PM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

is it an original style 772 fan? that solved a lot of cooling issues on mine when I installed a 772 fan and clutch

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
Old Jun 17th, 19, 6:44 PM
Tech Team

Stock 772 fan blade with a Hayden 2747 fan clutch works great with a stock cooling system. Sealing the area between the rad and the shroud with adhesive foam will also add to the benefit.

If you got a more than a stock cam you have to run more initial timing. Not trying to be a know it all. Just some things I learned on my 70 big block. I do have a 170 thermostat and 2-core Be Cool aluminum rad and the temps rarely get up to 195 in the summer heat of central Florida in stop and go traffic.

These are the tips I’ve read on here in the past and have used them with success. Hope this helps.
rlowe likes this.
Old Jun 18th, 19, 1:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

That's a good brand of fan clutch, but how old is it? I've had clutches in the past that seemed to work and passed the newspaper test, but once they were changed the cooling problems went away. It's a $50-75 part. Not that expensive or time consuming to experiment, and it would likely fall under warranty for a return. Call around as Hayden makes their products under different names and one store will sell the same item for significantly more than another store. Also, I think Hayden makes three grades of clutches: Standard, Heavy Duty, and Severe Duty.
Old Jun 18th, 19, 9:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Thank you for all the input. After taking some measurements I discovered the 72 fan shroud has a 21" opening and I was using an 18" fan. I am going to attempt use of a 19.3" all metal flex fan without a clutch and see what results I get. Will let you know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in