Over Heating 396. - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

4Likes
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By oldcutlass
  • 1 Post By nashville beth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 2:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Over Heating 396.

I've been having this car for a couple years now. 1967 camaro, turbo 400, no AC, 396 bbc. It has always had a cooling problem since I've had it. On the city, it creeps to about 200-210 depending on traffic. On the hwy it stays at a cool 170-185. Makes sense more air flow. Ive done everything i could. changed to an 18 inch 7 blade mechanical fan with and without clutch. Stock camaro bbc shroud. Alternate from a 4 row champion rad to a 3 row cooper rad. 1000cfm pusher fan. SAME RESULT the car is still overheating. Whats next? At this point, I'm thinking of buying two spal puller fans and make my own shroud with a fan controller. what do you guys think? How many cfms should each fan pull?

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 3:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Over Heating 396.

If 210 is all you ever see, then you are within normal operating temps. Did you see any improvement when you installed the pusher fan? Sometimes those can actually hamper cooling performance. Can you hear the clutch fan kick in and out by the sound of the fan? Where is your temp sender located?

If you idle the car on a hot day, will the temp continue to creep up past 210 or 225?

Are you running a bypass hose and a heater?

Was that car originally a small block? Are you running the 23 inch wide radiator?

What's your initial timing? Do you think you can add more and still start the car and operate it without pinging or predetonation? If so, see how far you can set it. Try for 18 with a good start and no pinging. More timing might result in a cooler idling or city cruising car.

I'll let some of the others talk about electric fans as I run mechanical fans on all my classics with success.
boyd66k20 and Saltherring like this.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Jun 9th, 19 at 4:11 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 9:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

210* is not overheating and is normal for extended idling and traffic.
Saltherring likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
If 210 is all you ever see, then you are within normal operating temps. Did you see any improvement when you installed the pusher fan? Sometimes those can actually hamper cooling performance. Can you hear the clutch fan kick in and out by the sound of the fan? Where is your temp sender located?

If you idle the car on a hot day, will the temp continue to creep up past 210 or 225?

Are you running a bypass hose and a heater?

Was that car originally a small block? Are you running the 23 inch wide radiator?

What's your initial timing? Do you think you can add more and still start the car and operate it without pinging or predetonation? If so, see how far you can set it. Try for 18 with a good start and no pinging. More timing might result in a cooler idling or city cruising car.

I'll let some of the others talk about electric fans as I run mechanical fans on all my classics with success.
If the car is stopped in traffic for about 20 mins the temp and creep up 250 on a 70-degree day without the pusher. Initial timing is set at 12 degrees and total at 33 degrees. No, I do not have a Heater nor AC. Yes the size of the core is 23 inches wide. yes the car is an original rally sport 327 car. The temp sensor is on the intake manifold right next to the thermostat. I will try to increase the initial timing.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 11:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

and hook up manifold vacuum to the distributor afterwards!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro69 View Post
If the car is stopped in traffic for about 20 mins the temp and creep up 250 on a 70-degree day without the pusher. Initial timing is set at 12 degrees and total at 33 degrees. No, I do not have a Heater nor AC. Yes the size of the core is 23 inches wide. yes the car is an original rally sport 327 car. The temp sensor is on the intake manifold right next to the thermostat. I will try to increase the initial timing.
You can pick up a little cooling by sealing the shroud to the radiator with foam rubber. The timing increase might help.

I've only been around small block Camaros so I'm not sure if the big block radiator core support has a bigger opening to accommodate the 23 inch radiator.

You asked about electric fans and shroud, if you go that route you'll need to upgrade your alternator and electrical system.

This Derale system has the features you want, Spal 4000 fans and the air doors to allow air to flow through the shroud once you attain forward speed. Note the dimensions, it's just under 3.75 inches thick and you may have to modify to clear components.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...ibanner=SREPD2
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 1:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
and hook up manifold vacuum to the distributor afterwards!!
Maybe his distributor doesn't have vacuum advance ? Or as you pointed out, he has it connected to ported.

That would explain the over-heating.

And never use a pusher-fan in front of the radiator. It restricts airflow.
LeoP likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 2:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Read this thread, it touches on many points.........https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...t-too-hot.html

https://www.chevydiy.com/how-to-impr...-step-by-step/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 6:04 PM
Tech Team

Initial timing added in helped my 468 idle at a bunch lower temps. In Alabama heat, I can't seem to get my car much over 180 with both of my fans running. If I do, it drops right back down when I quit driving like a moron. Mine is at 23 degrees initial.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 8:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Bump your timing up to 16/18.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 4:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I would change thermostats to the Stant 160 Superstat.. I had a expensive high flow pill style thermostat do what yours is doing to me once.. I went back to the good old Stant and like magic for a couple bucks it all went away..

I wouldn't do electric..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in