Trans coolant line fittings - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

21Likes
  • 5 Post By Not2Fast
  • 1 Post By any4xx
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 2 Post By paul bell
  • 5 Post By 68-13427
  • 1 Post By paul bell
  • 1 Post By Not2Fast
  • 1 Post By 68-13427
  • 1 Post By 68-13427

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Trans coolant line fittings

Happy Saturday Everyone. I stupidly bought a chineesium alum rad for my '68, well the rad came with metric fittings for the coolant lines, and of course the coolant lines themselves are standard. Anyone else here have this issue, and where did you find standard to metric adapters. I have not looked anywhere yet, i was just hoping someone has been here before and knew where to get adapters. Thanks,Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:48 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Trans coolant line fittings

bypass the rad and install a trans cooler

'69 Malibu
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 8:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Man... No bueno. Guessing you canít just return it for the correct one. There are lots of adapter fittings out there, but Iíve not seen metric to US flare adapters. Your easiest fix might be to just buy a short length of 5/16Ē line that already has metric fittings on each end. Cut it in half and put the appropriate bend at each end then cut your existing lines to length and use a double-ended compression coupler to graft them together.

A previous owner of my Ď68 had rubber lines hose-clamped onto my original lines and they held just fine. Prior to replacing my lines I used those compression fittings to graft new ends on and they never leaked. Iím told the cooler lines only run about 30 PSI.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 1:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Not2fast, Good Idea.

Any4xx, Cannot return rad, i bought it 5 years ago. I like your idea using hard line, i have used rubber lines in the old days, but feel better using hard line. I have owned this car for 6 years, i have never driven it, and i am so close to having her running again. My goal is to have it running by the 15th, my birthday. Thanks for the replies, Terry
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 1:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Your local Hoseman or what ever name they go by up there can probably make a hose for you with different fittings on each end. Give them a call if you want solid hoses.
68-13427 and B52bombardier1 like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 1:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post

A previous owner of my Ď68 had rubber lines hose-clamped onto my original lines and they held just fine. Prior to replacing my lines I used those compression fittings to graft new ends on and they never leaked. Iím told the cooler lines only run about 30 PSI.

This will work too. Most of the add on coolers like Hayden use this method.
68-13427 and rlowe like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 5:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Absolutely go with an external cooler, don't use the in-tank cooler. Get a plate style cooler, not the finned tube style.
rlowe and B52bombardier1 like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 6:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Hi All, This is an update to the I am an idiot thread. I started this thread asking for an adapter to go from standard flare to metric male flare. I spent 3 hours today looking on line for what i needed. I went to the garage to take a pic of the trans line fitting and the rad fitting. While i was there i tried once again to thread the trans fitting into the rad, well sumbitch, it threaded right in like it was supposed to. I have tried to mate these two multiple times, and it always felt like it was cross threading. Man , i feel dumb, but relieved too because my problem is solved, and tomorrow, i will try to fire the beast for the first time in 6 years. Terry
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Glad it's fixed Terry. We all do things like that!
68-13427 likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 7:41 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Glad you got it fixed. Now drive it down to your local auto parts store to get that external cooler.
68-13427 likes this.

'69 Malibu
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 9:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

This was definitely a positive motivator to help me get my car running and driving, sometimes a minor setback kills momentum, but i told myself when i bought this car that i would do research before attacking a project, and not be in a rush to get it done. I took lots of pics when i tore the car down and those pics have helped save my a$$ a few times. Thanks for the positive comments. Terry
Not2Fast likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I think weíve all been there. Iím just glad youíre back on with assembly. Those little annoyances can certainly kill your motivation though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Well i made a valiant effort to fire up today but little gremlins slowed me down, i started filling the rad, using only water , just in case, well dummy left the block drains open during install, but did flush out some gunk. Transmission plug had cracked at some point, leaked fluid on the floor, stabbed the driveshaft in real quick, cleaned up mess, carried on. Got everything set to fire, turned the key, and

Nada, but hey, my new clock works! I was using a 13 year old optima battery, and it's no bueno. So later this week i will buy a new battery , and try again. Terry
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 2:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Update to my previous update. Today, the beast lives again. My wonderful wife bought me a new battery for an anniversary gift yesterday, i put it in this morning and once again, nada, no click, nothing. So i went over all the wiring looking for obvious issues, did not see anything wrong. Went back and looked at the last thing i touched, the console wiring , which contains the neutral safety switch,i looked it over and determined the it was not plugged in all the way. Once i did that i tried again to start, this time it Fired right up, and startled me cause i forgot the open headers. Woo Hoo! I am so relieved. This is the first time in 6 years my car has ran. Terry
lucifershammer likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 2:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
Update to my previous update. Today, the beast lives again. My wonderful wife bought me a new battery for an anniversary gift yesterday, i put it in this morning and once again, nada, no click, nothing. So i went over all the wiring looking for obvious issues, did not see anything wrong. Went back and looked at the last thing i touched, the console wiring , which contains the neutral safety switch,i looked it over and determined the it was not plugged in all the way. Once i did that i tried again to start, this time it Fired right up, and startled me cause i forgot the open headers. Woo Hoo! I am so relieved. This is the first time in 6 years my car has ran. Terry
Great to hear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in