Vintage Air vs Old Air Products - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 4:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Vintage Air vs Old Air Products

My 2 options for the Car which is a 1970 Chevelle which kit would you guys recommend. I have heard more people tell about vintage air as in more people like that and choose is more compared to old air products which I have really heard much about honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 9:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Re: Vintage Air vs Old Air Products

I just installed a vintage air "sure fit" series in my 64. Haven't got the car finished yet so no report on function.

The instructions are so-so, steps out of order (like connecting hoses that aren't installed until 2 pages later) and some pre mad hoses with ends that are not crimped at good angles so I'd cal it a "mostly fits" series. Overall install was okay but frustrating due to the instructions. My advice, read the instructions cover to cover and then do it without following the sequence in the instructions, only refer to them when needed.

BTW, called for advice on a step and was told there was a video on the site of the exact step on my exact model and to refer to that. Never could find the video and they did not return the 2nd call asking for a link or URL.

Wish I could comment on the Southern Air but I don't know anyone who has installed one. Had I not already bought another Vintage Air for the wife's project (bought them at the same time) I might have given Southern Air a try on the next one?????
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 10:05 PM
Tech Team

I also just put a Vintage air system in my 69. It is not charged yet so can't comment on how it works, BUT, I agree that the instructions are less than perfect. They are drawn poorly and don't always seem clear.

BUT, everything fit well and the system seems like it was well designed.
As a side note, there are several hoses that have to be cut and have the fittings crimped on and I was not able to locate any shop in my area that had an A/C hose crimping tool so I had to buy one. (about $120).

Shaun

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 11:55 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRSPT69 View Post
I also just put a Vintage air system in my 69. It is not charged yet so can't comment on how it works, BUT, I agree that the instructions are less than perfect. They are drawn poorly and don't always seem clear.

As a side note, there are several hoses that have to be cut and have the fittings crimped on and I was not able to locate any shop in my area that had an A/C hose crimping tool so I had to buy one. (about $120).

Shaun
For what it's worth, you can actually "borrow" the crimping tool from vintage air for two weeks at a time. Essentially, all you pay for is shipping back. I too just installed one in my '68. Haven't charged it yet, but it went in without any issue and looks good.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 6:19 AM
Tech Team

Wish I would have known about "Borrowing" the tool. No mention that I saw anywhere about that .
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Wish I would have known about "Borrowing" the tool. No mention that I saw anywhere about that .

Ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^

I bought a crimp tool and made up my own hoses / hose ends. It made for a more organized routing

Disclaimer: I have never installed an aftermarket kit that "fit" without some modification to accommodate my specific desires for fit and function. OCD I guess.
LeoP likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:

Shaun
Quote:
Too bad you couldn't find a shop local to you. There are several auto parts stores near me that will crimp customer hose ends on for very cheap money (like $5.00 ea). There are also two high pressure hydraulic hose suppliers that have the correct crimping dies so I have several options available. Sorry you didn't have that luxury.
LeoP likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I just finished up a Classic Auto Air system in my ‘68. Worth considering. My only gripes with them was that the center dash vent bezel they supplied was too narrow for the stock opening and their replacement glove box was ridiculous. I ended up having to do some fabrication on both.

They sent the lines and fittings in bulk so once everything was mounted I attached the fittings and cut the lines myself. I clocked and marked them all and sent them back to CAA so they could crimp and return them to me. The system works great. I chose it for my ‘68 over Vintage Air only because of the way the hoses route under the hood.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 1:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

My local NAPA crimps hydraulic hoses, and they crimped my home made hoses for real cheap. Not pretty looking crimps, but 1 year later no leaks, so I was happy.
LeoP likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 8:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

I know this for sure about Vintage Air, and it's probably the same for other brands, but an after market system won't have a provision to introduce outside air -- it just recirculates inside air. That creates a potential for severe fogging of the windshield. Whatever you do, do not turn on the defrost while driving. Under the right conditions, it will completely fog over the windshield and blind you. I found that out while driving on a winding mountain road. It can be very dangerous.

As for the lack of outside air and fogging windows, I called Vintage Air and asked what the fix was. They said, "Roll down the window". At first I was furious as I just spent a lot of time on money on their system, but it does work. If I'm driving and the windows start to fog over, I just crack the driver's window. It only takes a small amount of air to balance it out.
GuysMonteSS likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 8:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I have Vintage Air in my 71 Chevy pickup, my 66 Chevelle and my 56 210. I put it in my 56 Studebaker wagon. I haven't had many issues over the years (the system in my truck has been in for 17/18 years). They were the only ones who said they could cool a wagon when I called around. If I was to need another A/C system, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Vintage Air system.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 658Chevy View Post
I know this for sure about Vintage Air, and it's probably the same for other brands, but an after market system won't have a provision to introduce outside air -- it just recirculates inside air. That creates a potential for severe fogging of the windshield. Whatever you do, do not turn on the defrost while driving. Under the right conditions, it will completely fog over the windshield and blind you. I found that out while driving on a winding mountain road. It can be very dangerous.

As for the lack of outside air and fogging windows, I called Vintage Air and asked what the fix was. They said, "Roll down the window". At first I was furious as I just spent a lot of time on money on their system, but it does work. If I'm driving and the windows start to fog over, I just crack the driver's window. It only takes a small amount of air to balance it out.

What’s the difference between the kit with factory ac and the one w/o factory ac on the pictures it looks like the block off plates are shaped diffferent and there looks to be an extra cent for one of them?

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 9:03 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Any chance that the car was originally an AC car ??

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 9:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Any chance that the car was originally an AC car ??

No I believe it was heater only. But It still has vents in the dash and some ducts but the actual unit was removed before I got it

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevelle__ View Post
What’s the difference between the kit with factory ac and the one w/o factory ac on the pictures it looks like the block off plates are shaped diffferent and there looks to be an extra cent for one of them?

I don't know the answer. If there's an extra vent, maybe they've added a way to introduce fresh outside air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in