Vintage Air vs Old Air Products - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 8:53 AM
Tech Team
John

Installed Vintage air car had no ac or heat 67 was a learning experience but works great it was installed in PR which was needed, also bought crimping tool to extend my hose under and up to driver side, plus their support is excellent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 5:56 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Re: Vintage Air vs Old Air Products

Put a Classic Auto Air system in the 66. Directions were good, it fit, it works and they were good on the phone for the few questions I had.

Had my local guy make up the hoses and charge it. Woking great after two years.

Recommend the electronic control module vice trying to use the original Chevelle stuff.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 1:22 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

I had Vintage Air installed in my 67 Chevelle a year and a half ago. Works great, cold A/C, hot heat. The only downside is the fan noise at since the entire unit is inside the car under the dash. The new glove box supplied is now just that, big enough for only a pair of gloves.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 6:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 658Chevy View Post
I know this for sure about Vintage Air, and it's probably the same for other brands, but an after market system won't have a provision to introduce outside air -- it just recirculates inside air. That creates a potential for severe fogging of the windshield. Whatever you do, do not turn on the defrost while driving. Under the right conditions, it will completely fog over the windshield and blind you. I found that out while driving on a winding mountain road. It can be very dangerous.

As for the lack of outside air and fogging windows, I called Vintage Air and asked what the fix was. They said, "Roll down the window". At first I was furious as I just spent a lot of time on money on their system, but it does work. If I'm driving and the windows start to fog over, I just crack the driver's window. It only takes a small amount of air to balance it out.

I installed a heat/defrost Vintage Air unit in my '86 Monte SS and discovered the same issue.
Imagine my surprise after thinking how well this works then after 5 or 10 minutes the inside of the windshield fogged up.
I also contacted Vintage Air and they told me much the same as they told you,roll the window down.
Now that I know what to do I don't mind,and it's way better than the factory setup was.
Guy

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 8:35 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I'm going to do a Classic system on my 70 El Camino. I agree with all that has been mentioned about Classic thus far.

Additionally, I'm told that only Classic has a repairable evaporator assembly. The others are apparently sealed units and would be destroyed trying to take them apart. Hopefully I won't ever have to repair it but it's nice to know I won't have a boat anchor if it fails.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 7:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

In the 90's here today. Drove out to Philip's house to have him buy me lunch. Took my Chevelle. Sure was nice to have my Vintage Air working to keep me comfortable for the 90 mile round trip............thanks for lunch, Philip!

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 9:36 PM
Tech Team

Aeroquip makes great reduced barrier hose and the EZ Clip system that requires no crimping tool. Works GREAT! The reduced size hose routes and bends well without kinks. I want to find out how well the Restomod Air systems work if anyone has a comment.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 10:17 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
I know this for sure about Vintage Air, and it's probably the same for other brands, but an after market system won't have a provision to introduce outside air -- it just recirculates inside air. That creates a potential for severe fogging of the windshield. Whatever you do, do not turn on the defrost while driving. Under the right conditions, it will completely fog over the windshield and blind you. I found that out while driving on a winding mountain road. It can be very dangerous.

As for the lack of outside air and fogging windows, I called Vintage Air and asked what the fix was. They said, "Roll down the window". At first I was furious as I just spent a lot of time on money on their system, but it does work. If I'm driving and the windows start to fog over, I just crack the driver's window. It only takes a small amount of air to balance it out.
That doesn't make sense, air-conditioning dehumidifies and outside air brings in humidity.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
That doesn't make sense, air-conditioning dehumidifies and outside air brings in humidity.
I'm not certain, but I believe the principle is that we, as drivers/passengers, add humidity to air that is constantly recycled in the cab. Fresh air generally has less humidity than our bodies provide (breath, insensible loss, body warmth, etc). The effect is even worse if your clothes are wet. Try it in a car that has the option to introduce fresh air and turn that feature off. It'll have the same result.
von likes this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 11:01 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
I'm not certain, but I believe the principle is that we, as drivers/passengers, add humidity to air that is constantly recycled in the cab. Fresh air generally has less humidity than our bodies provide (breath, insensible loss, body warmth, etc). The effect is even worse if your clothes are wet. Try it in a car that has the option to introduce fresh air and turn that feature off. It'll have the same result.
that's it

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 11:11 AM
Team Member
Les

Garage

I don't have experience with other after-market brands but, I recently installed VA in my 65 El Camino and, I'm favorably impressed with how well it works and, with VA's customer service. I haven't had an opportunity to test the defroster yet but, I'll be curious to see if I get same fogging issue. I haven't installed their glove box yet but - from test fitting - I can see it may be a challenge to make it fit.

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 12:08 PM
Tech Team

Getting my new VA install charged Monday. My process has been mixed. Install generally went okay, but I think I've been dealing with a faulty ECU. VA had me send them the ECU and control panel and said they were good and sent me a second new wiring harness. After install of the second harness, the system exhibited the same bad behavior, so I could pretty much rule out wiring errors as both times I followed instructions/diagrams to the T. After the system randomly started working again they agreed to send a backup ECU. They've generally been responsive and helpful, though it did at times feel like they were quick to blame wiring, when it felt pretty clear to me, by the nature of the problem I was experiencing, it had to be internal circuitry failures. That said, I imagine most of the errors they do see day to day are from install issues.

Also, it seems like this market is ripe for someone who can develop a kit like VA or Classic Auto Air, but have it be engine side and able to bring in fresh air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in