Fan Clutch Number Cross-Reference? - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Fan Clutch Number Cross-Reference?

Thank you Robnls5 for answering my question in my thread trying to id the cooling fan. I think I have the fan taken care of, now trying to id the fan clutch. Just trying to keep from having to reorder a clutch in case the first one I order doesn't fit my fan. Something that seems to be a common problem when ordering the fan, or clutch, or both but from different suppliers? Or am I just reading too much? The clutch has the following numbers...

823 85 (space between the two sets)

Using Haydens website, cross-reference search, the closest I can find is 22007636, a General Motors clutch. I cannot find the number I have. I went back to the clutch to double check and the straight back of the 5 is clearly visible though the rest of the number is almost non-existant. Anyone familiar with this number?

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Fan Clutch Number Cross-Reference?

This is the clutch I have on my 468 driver. I bought it at the local Chevy Dealer, Kenny Ross Chevrolet. The clutch I have is for a mid 80-90s B. Block and the factory I think Suburban 496.
This clutch is a perfect match for the 3947772 blade just a perfect fit, AND Hell Yea,,,,,,,,,, This Puppy moves a ton of air. The draw back is, It cost around $133.00. This was the best money I ever spent. Bottom line is, You must move XXXX number of Cu. Ft. per Min. of air through the 4 row brass rad.
NOT ONLY does the fan blade draw air through the Rad. & The A/C Cond. & KOOLS the tranny fluid ..... IT ALSO removes the SUPER HEATED AIR from the engine bay.
Modern cars are designed VIA duct work under the hood, My Silverado has two BIG Elect. fans. Just passing along some information.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Robinls5, I appreciate your jumping in on another one of my questions. Searching rockauto, O'Reilly's, etc etc etc, there seems to be a whole herd of clutches used. My search criteria was 1985, 1987, 1990 and 1994 K20 Suburbans with the 454. I cannot come up with a clear reason why so many different numbers (manufacturers? assembly plants?), or what may have been the more common clutch used.

Unfortunately, my local dealerships parts counter staff do not seem to know the difference of a Chevy or a tunafish sandwich. Do you happen to know what your part number may have been? I do appreciate your help, but don't knock yourself out though. After trying to remove multiple coats of paint on the cooling fan, I may just get a fan too. By the time I get this one cleaned up, or sandblasted, a new one would probably be close to the same $$.

Mucho Danke

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 2:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I went through the receipts from my two 70s, That in itself was a shock on the amount of George Washingtons I spent. Here we go,,, The fan clutch on my FAKE SS 454 Nomad Sta. Wgn. Like I said it is a perfect fit on a 3947772 O.E.M. fan blade.
I bought the clutch from Kenny Ross Chevrolet, In Irwin ,Pa. I purchased the clutch in 08. The Chevy part number is # 88961767-CLUTCH. It listed for $228.92 I paid $125.91 + tax. total was $133.46.
This clutch bolts to the W. Pump as the factory EATON did. Both of my 70s have the VO-1 cooling. With all O.E.M. parts and pieces in place. My driver Sta. Wgn. has over 38.000 miles with this clutch and a 772 fan blade.
My engine is a 468 along with a 700R4. The Rad. is a 4 row,Copper/Brass. In front of the 4 row rad, I have a P. Flow condenser( O.E.M. replacement) & a plate Tranny cooler on hard lines.
With the O.E.M. cooling system AKA as the VO-1, and this clutch & 772 fan blade. I have had no cooling issues WHAT-SO-EVER. I run the Converted Factory C-60-A/C a lot. I copy a lot of the items the factory did just because they work well.
My cooling system is like my 700R, I have no swiches, buttons, vacuum lines, gadgets in the car. I have an Electric unit that mounts on the transmission, I ran a 12 volt wire down to the tranny and now it shifts at 13-36-55-loc/up. My wife drives the wagon a lot on long trips, I did not want a big list of things to do to,,, How to operate the A/C system OR How to get the 700R to shift and loc/up. Just put the dam thing in O.D. and drive like ANY new car ,,Or turn the A/C on and be KOOL.
For me the " KISS " method is wonderful!
K-eep
I-t
S-imple
S-tupid............... Hey, It works.
.................................................. ....................
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Bless you. Have to check on my shroud and distances. I'll get it ordered this week. Thank you. Sorry to remind you of how many Benjamins have passed thru your hands.
Ya know, when I see the $$ I have spent on the Baby, I just remember how much I spend/spent/will spend on the Queen of my garage as we look toward 33yrs, my car is cheaper. 😆
Again, thank you Bob.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 7:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Did some surfin' this a.m. AcDelco website could not find your part number. The GM parts websites (probably GM authorized, not GM directly?) did show that clutch and ran around $125ish.

I went over to Haydens website and used their cross-reference look-up. That brought up their clutch 2797. It's their severe duty version of the 2747. Very close in all their specifications, diameter of the 2797 at 6.45", being slightly smaller than 2747 at 7.2". Height wise the 2747 stands 3.34" tall compared to 2797 at 3.66".

I believe, Bob, we have solved the world's problems here. The important ones anyways. Thank you so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in