Should I flush my old Mark IV or just replace coolant? - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

1Likes
  • 1 Post By glend123

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Should I flush my old Mark IV or just replace coolant?

I got my car in 04, I am thinking the engine was rebuildt sometime in the early 80's. No idea of milage; but I have put on about 20K since 04. I put a new heater core in a few years ago with new hoses, replace the water pump, and had radiator recored. Engine does not run hot except on 95+ days. I have never flushed engine; however I had the engine out of the car about 10 yrs ago, so all the coolant was removed at that time. Since then I just added coolant due to repair on radiator and water pump replacement.

I am thinking I should only have to remove all the coolant and replace. Or do you think I should buy a flush kit and flush the block? I can't seem to find a video on either replacement or flush on a old chevelle BBc Could anyone outline the process of either or point me to a few video's. Heater works fine. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: Should I flush my old Mark IV or just replace coolant?

How hot does the engine run on those 95+days, have you checked the engine temp with one of those infrared temp sensors??

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 12:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

You should replace green coolant every 2 years, you're well past the use by date. You can probably get away with draining what you can then refill with the same color coolant. If it makes you feel better, those prestone flush kits are pretty good. Instructions in package. Drain and catch you coolant then fun the flush with good water. Drain again and if you have drains on your block drain that too. If they don't come out easy, avoid this step. You don't need to open that can of worms. Then fill with distilled water, run it and drain then refill with coolant and distilled water.

You can also drain, fill with water, open a drain and leave the car running with a hose in the radiator to get a clean change over. Open and run the heater to get a flush there too. Again, recommend the distilled water flush and coolant and distilled water for refill to avoid calcium build up.

If you don't have cooling issues, I would avoid using a flush agent or cleaner.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Removing the block drain plugs is kind of my major concern. I think I will avoid that. Plan is to drain coolant, fill with water and run the car, drain again, fill and run car, drain again, fill and run car and drain, then add 10 qts if coolant. Then check the freeze level. My concern now is after my first drain do I always use distilled water when filling or would tap water be OK.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 11:33 AM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Removing the block drain plugs is kind of my major concern. I think I will avoid that. Plan is to drain coolant, fill with water and run the car, drain again, fill and run car, drain again, fill and run car and drain, then add 10 qts if coolant. Then check the freeze level. My concern now is after my first drain do I always use distilled water when filling or would tap water be OK.
I would always use distilled water. You might need more coolant than a 50/50 mix at first because of the water already in the engine.
1966_L78 likes this.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 7:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend123 View Post
I would always use distilled water. You might need more coolant than a 50/50 mix at first because of the water already in the engine.
I agree, I try to use distilled water, because most tap water will have minerals that can eventually cause issues... IMO, distilled water is cheap enough and easy to find...

Okay, we know Jim lives in Minnesota, and its gets cold... But while Anti-freeze has additives for lubrication and anti-freezing, straight water is a better "coolant". So depending on the air temps the car is stored at, you may not need to be 50/50...

Personally, here in California my garage never gets below 40 degrees. so I run no anti-freeze in my Chevelle (stored during the winter anyway)... I use Redline Water Wetter for the lubrication and surfactant additives...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I try to run less coolant and more water in the summer. But late each fall I have been testing to determine how much I should drain and adding coolant. Garage is heated and furnace has never failed me. With -30 you canít be to safe with a unattached garage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in