2Likes
  • 2 Post By Yukon0724

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 2:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage
Intake manifold rear coolant passage hose kits

Does anyone have any experience with connecting the intake manifold rear coolant passages to the front coolant crossover/thermostat area? See attached picture for an example. I've heard from a couple individuals at car shows that it can be very effective at improving coolant flow through the heads where the greatest amount of heat is located and therefore could benefit from improved flow.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...psb4c55238.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear intake manifold coolant hose picture.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	576970  

1967 Chevelle Malibu, 463 BB, Edelbrock Performer RPM Power Package, Holley Terminator EFI, TCI Street Fighter 700R4, Moser Muscle Pac 12 bolt rearend, RideTech air suspension system, Accuair e-level air management, Wilwood Forged Dynalite disc brakes, US Mags Rambler wheels & Continental Extreme Contact tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 3:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jimmy

Re: Intake manifold rear coolant passage hose kits

I did on my Intake.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 3:33 PM
Team Member

It looks to me like it is reducing the amount of coolant that flows past the combustion chambers. That would make the front cylinders even hotter than usual. The coolant that flows through those hoses does nothing for cooling.
Many years ago, i did some testing of valve seat and combustion chamber temperatures on an inline 6 car engine. The coolant entered the front of the block and flowed to the rear, where is entered the rear of the cylinder head. Then it flows to the front of the head and then out. The rear chambers (and valve seats ) were the coolest and the front cylinders were the hottest. I suspect that reducing the flow would make things worse.
I must be missing something here.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 3:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

Meziere makes a spacer for the water outlet with a couple of tapped holes, just for this purpose.

Steve R
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 4:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon0724 View Post
I did on my Intake.

Why did you do this mod/what was the problem you were trying to solve?

What were your results?

Thanks.

1967 Chevelle Malibu, 463 BB, Edelbrock Performer RPM Power Package, Holley Terminator EFI, TCI Street Fighter 700R4, Moser Muscle Pac 12 bolt rearend, RideTech air suspension system, Accuair e-level air management, Wilwood Forged Dynalite disc brakes, US Mags Rambler wheels & Continental Extreme Contact tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 18, 3:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I have them on my engine and I can't really comment as to whether they have a positive or negative affect.........because I'm not disconnecting them to find out

I'm lucky enough to be able to keep an 800hp BBC cool on the street with a pair of 12" spals, a 32" rad and this tubing, so I'll be leaving the tubes in place......for the time being

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 18, 3:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertlin View Post
Why did you do this mod/what was the problem you were trying to solve?

What were your results?

Thanks.

I wasn't trying to solve any problem. Just prevent any from happening. Setups like this are quite popular at my local tracks. Oval and Drag Strip tracks. With a twin turbocharged SmBlk Detonation is the Engines biggest enemy and eliminating hot spots in the cooling system helps prevent that. I can't really comment on if they help or not has they have been on the manifold since I first built the Engine. The Edelbrock Super Victor Manifold comes with the front and rear ports already drilled and tapped so why not use them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 18, 3:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post
I have them on my engine and I can't really comment as to whether they have a positive or negative affect.........because I'm not disconnecting them to find out

I'm lucky enough to be able to keep an 800hp BBC cool on the street with a pair of 12" spals, a 32" rad and this tubing, so I'll be leaving the tubes in place......for the time being

Nice looking Engine Bay you have there Jim.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 18, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Thanks for the information and pics. The feedback is similar from what I've heard from others about connecting the rear water passages to the front.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 18, 3:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post

You have excellent taste in selecting the color of your car..

My car is here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 664 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.