Oveheating or NOT??? - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 7:51 AM Thread Starter

Oveheating or NOT???

Ok, here goes.
I have a 1970 Chevelle SS. In it I have a 454. I just installed a Cold Case Radiator with the 2 Fan/Shroud setup. I also installed the 190 degree thermal switch for the fans that came with this system. I also have a Dakota Digital gauge setup. I installed a 180 degree thermostat. My question is as follows.
My temperature gauge will read between 200-210 and then the fans come on. I thought maybe I had a bad temperature sensor, so I ordered a new one from Dakota digital, installed it and I'm still getting the same readings. When driving the highway my temp stays around 200-205. The temp sensor is in the drivers side head. What's going on here??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 8:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Re: Oveheating or NOT???

Hmmm..........Philip is having a similar problem in his wagon. Check with him.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 8:59 AM
Tech Team

If the thermoswitch is supose to turn the fans on at 190, and the fans don't kick on till 210, I'm guessing that may be the culprit.

Do you run antifreeze? Timing and jetting also can play a role as well as a simple radiator cap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 8:59 AM Thread Starter

Who's Phillip and where is he located?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 9:03 AM Thread Starter

More info. The switch is located by the Thermostat housing. When I use a heat gun to check temps, the temp by the housing is 20 degrees less than by the sensor in the head. Why and how is it 20 degrees less in that short of span?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Get a meat thermometer, open rad cap, lay it in there and start it up and let it get hot. See what the other thermometer says. And in the kitchen, boil some water and see what it says, that way you will know if it is correct.
blm and fr8dog like this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 2:25 PM
Tech Team

Measuring temperatures in heads, will always be hotter than intake etc. your gauge reads the heads temp, and your switch is operating from intake temps, unless I misunderstood what you’re describing.

Seems like you are good to go.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 3:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Like yanniziomas said its because of the temp difference between the heads and thermostat housing. I have two temp gauges one in the head and one in the intake and my gauges also differ 20 deg. Its because of the heat from the combustion.
One solution is to change the fan switch to one with lower temp like 180-185 or a 160 deg thermostat and a 165-175 deg switch. 210 in the head is on the edge imho.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 3:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogjr View Post
Ok, here goes.
I have a 1970 Chevelle SS. In it I have a 454. I just installed a Cold Case Radiator with the 2 Fan/Shroud setup. I also installed the 190 degree thermal switch for the fans that came with this system. I also have a Dakota Digital gauge setup. I installed a 180 degree thermostat. My question is as follows.
My temperature gauge will read between 200-210 and then the fans come on. I thought maybe I had a bad temperature sensor, so I ordered a new one from Dakota digital, installed it and I'm still getting the same readings. When driving the highway my temp stays around 200-205. The temp sensor is in the drivers side head. What's going on here??
Try putting the fan switch sending unit on the head, then place your temp gauge sending unit in the intake and see what happens.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 5:43 PM Thread Starter

I've had this problem for a while. Every time I talk with other car guys, they say "Oh my car runs all day at 180/185, no problem". Now not to be a smart ass, but come on not every body is telling the truth.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 5:50 PM Thread Starter

Right now I'm running a Fail-Safe 180 degree thermostat. Would I be better off going to a High Flow 160 or 180 Thermostat?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 6:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
I've had this problem for a while. Every time I talk with other car guys, they say "Oh my car runs all day at 180/185, no problem". Now not to be a smart ass, but come on not every body is telling the truth.
Ask them if ots in head pr intake if on intake they run same temp as you, with a 180 deg thermostat the head temps is atleast 200 in my experience.
With a 160 deg thermostat my temp is 175-180 deg in the head.

Quote:
Right now I'm running a Fail-Safe 180 degree thermostat. Would I be better off going to a High Flow 160 or 180 Thermostat?
I like and have had good luck with milodon high flow thermostats.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 8:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Using one of these thermostats

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...make/chevrolet

in my ElCamino,and yes it runs 180-190 all day long. No BSing. One thing about electric fans is that they usually aren't needed at highway speeds (on OE's at least) where the airflow through the rads is usually enough to cool the engine.If the highway airflow gets blocked by the elec fan shrouding it can in effect become a sort of an air dam when on the highway.To combat this most OE elec fan shrouds have multiple small reliefs somewhere on them to allow the air to pass through them when the fan is not running.
I don't know if this is your problem but it is something to consider if you're overheating is at speed.
Kirk's67SS and Thor454 like this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 9:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Depends on where you measure it.

I have a 180 thermostat and my temp sending unit is in the intake. It reads 180-185 all day long.

I bet if I put the temp sending unit in the head it would be 200 or more. But I've never had an overheating problem - that's just where it runs.

Maybe I should move down to a 160 thermostat to lower the head temps? But it seems to run very well where it is...

Quote:

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 12:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Ok, here goes.
The Cold Case Shroud is Metal and does not have any Flaps in it for the Hwy
https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/ch...m-radiator-mt/

IMHO
1. the Metal Heats up and therefore retains more heat within the Unit
2. since there are NO Flaps in it for them to open up on the Hwy Speeds the Flow of Air is Restricted
to only able to go thru the Fans area thus less Air Flow to Cool the Rad Fins
this Pic of the SPAL Dual 11" Efans/Shroud in my car shows
the 6 on Top and 6 at Bottom that open on the Hwy & are Closed in Town

The Temp in the Heads is always Higher than the Intake because of the Heat Soak from them

A 160* Thermostat is what I run in my BBC so that it is Fully Open by 180*
as a 180* Thermostat does not Fully Open up until 200*

My 170* Temp Sender for the Efans is in the Intake

And my car Temp will run from 170* to 180* on the Hwy and in Town
at the Track after back to back runs sometimes 190* .
71350SS likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 697 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.