24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 7:30 AM Thread Starter

Re: Oveheating or NOT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Using one of these thermostats

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...make/chevrolet

in my ElCamino,and yes it runs 180-190 all day long. No BSing. One thing about electric fans is that they usually aren't needed at highway speeds (on OE's at least) where the airflow through the rads is usually enough to cool the engine.If the highway airflow gets blocked by the elec fan shrouding it can in effect become a sort of an air dam when on the highway.To combat this most OE elec fan shrouds have multiple small reliefs somewhere on them to allow the air to pass through them when the fan is not running.
I don't know if this is your problem but it is something to consider if you're overheating is at speed.
I just bought one from Summit last night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 7:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Depends on where you measure it.

I have a 180 thermostat and my temp sending unit is in the intake. It reads 180-185 all day long.

I bet if I put the temp sending unit in the head it would be 200 or more. But I've never had an overheating problem - that's just where it runs.

Maybe I should move down to a 160 thermostat to lower the head temps? But it seems to run very well where it is...
So if I move my sending unit from the head to the intake, my overheating problems will be gone because the temperature there is around
180/185 degrees????
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 10:08 AM
Tech Team

You don’t have overheating problems! From all the above, where you’re reading the temperatures from you are fine!
lucifershammer likes this.

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

As was just mentioned, I don't think you are having overheating problems either.

I think you are just measuring head temps vs intake temps. Both seem to be in a reasonable range.

Now, if you move the temperature sensor from the head to the intake, your gauge will most likely start reading lower and might make you feel better - but moving the sensor won't change the temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogjr View Post
So if I move my sending unit from the head to the intake, my overheating problems will be gone because the temperature there is around
180/185 degrees????

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

To me, "overheating" is
1 - actually boiling over.
2 - temperatures continuously climbing when not under load, well over cruise temperatures.
200 is not hot, but if you have a 160 thermostat in, and coolant goes to 180, then when sitting idling, starts creeping up to 200,210,220, that is a problem.
Before I swapped out rad, and made a shroud, I had a 160, coasting down a hill gauge would drop to 160-170, then idling in traffic creeping in drive, it would keep climbing, and who knows if it ever would stop. Never boiled over, but it got HOT, well past 220. This is all on a electric SW temp gauge with sender in drivers side of intake. My FiTech reads maybe 15 lower, on the passenger side of the intake, I assume due to the return from the heater core cooling down that side.

If you have a steady temperature that isn't too hot, like say 5-10 over thermostat value in the rad, I would be happy with it.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok I just did the Meat Thermometer test. I began by doing the boiled water test first. The reading was very close to the boiling point (209/210). Good enough.

Stuck the meter in the radiator, started her up. Thermostat (180*) opened before the gauge in the car read 180*. The electric fans came on at 206 on the gauge, 180 on the Meat Thermometer. With the fans running, it cooled down he coolant to 160*. I let it idle and the temp on the gauge was constant at 203.
The fans never shut off.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 1:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

If you're not moving the fans won't shut off and they shouldn't unless it cools it fast enough.When you're going over 35 MPH the fans really aren't needed and then should turn off.
Think about this though,just using a normal radiator cap raise's the boiling point of water 3 degrees for every 1 PSI above atmospheric.A 12-15 lb. radiator cap will raise the 212* boiling point of water by about 25-30 degrees.Adding an overflow tank will give the expanded hot antifreeze or water a place to go rather than just losing it.The 83 to 87 MonteCarlo overflow tank fits Chevelle's perfectly.If you're using straight water then adding a water pump lube or something similar should help to keep rusting down to a minimum.
Just a few things that may help.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 2:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
I've had this problem for a while. Every time I talk with other car guys, they say "Oh my car runs all day at 180/185, no problem". Now not to be a smart ass, but come on not every body is telling the truth.
These are the same guys that get 18/20 mpg with 600+ HP big blocks.

I feel 100 percent sure that you do not have a over heating problem.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 2:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
If you're not moving the fans won't shut off and they shouldn't unless it cools it fast enough.When you're going over 35 MPH the fans really aren't needed and then should turn off.
Think about this though,just using a normal radiator cap raise's the boiling point of water 3 degrees for every 1 PSI above atmospheric.A 12-15 lb. radiator cap will raise the 212* boiling point of water by about 25-30 degrees.Adding an overflow tank will give the expanded hot antifreeze or water a place to go rather than just losing it.The 83 to 87 MonteCarlo overflow tank fits Chevelle's perfectly.If you're using straight water then adding a water pump lube or something similar should help to keep rusting down to a minimum.
Just a few things that may help.
I have a 16 lb Radiator Cap
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 3:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Ok I just did the Meat Thermometer test. I began by doing the boiled water test first. The reading was very close to the boiling point (209/210). Good enough.

Stuck the meter in the radiator, started her up. Thermostat (180*) opened before the gauge in the car read 180*. The electric fans came on at 206 on the gauge, 180 on the Meat Thermometer. With the fans running, it cooled down he coolant to 160*. I let it idle and the temp on the gauge was constant at 203.
The fans never shut off.
[Opinion]
20 degree drop sounds good to me, and as long as temps hold I would be happy with that. Under pressure, if anything, it should be better. So either move the sender so the gauge matches coolant numbers or ignore it, and say anything under 210 on the gauge is good.
[\Opinion]

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 7:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:

The fans never shut off.
I went through this very same issue and i moved my dash coolant temperature gauge sending unit from the head to the intake manifold, while leaving my two elec. fan on/off switches in the cylinder heads. Now my coolant gauge on the dash indicates a more reasonable temperature, approx 20-30 degrees less than the cyl. head temp. More or less a comfort factor.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 7:39 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Who's Phillip and where is he located?
Me and in Arizona. My gauge reads 20 higher than the actual temperature. DD says it is because the sender is in the head. I am going to experiment with inline resistors to get it to read correctly.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 18, 5:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Something you need to remember about temp senders: it only measures the temp at THAT location. Elsewhere in the engine, the coolant temp might be 20* hotter [ or cooler ] with localised boiling.

Another point of interest. if you compare all the American V8s from all the car companies that use the same int/exh port layout, every one has different coolant passage configuration. Even within the same brand such as SB & BB Mopar that use the same port locations, the coolant passages are different.

With no 'standardising', it suggests to me that there are different 'theories' about cooling passage location & size; & it might be more of an art than a science.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 18, 6:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Just curious, where is the factory sender in a 1990s LT1 with reverse flow. They flow to the heads then down the block, correct? I assume the sender is in the head, but never really looked when I had my 1994 LT1 Caprice.

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 18, 6:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Both my bb"s run over 200 at the head. I dont see a problem here. If you are running 185 at the thermostat housing how do you have a overheat issue?

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 697 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.