Contour Fan + flex a lite controller question - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 9:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

Contour Fan + flex a lite controller question

I plan on running a Contour dual fan with a Flex a Lite 91163 controller.
Now the fan obviously has two motors but the controller has only one fan positive and fan negative so I assume that I would just splice both motors together and into the controller.
How does this effect the fan being that it is a two speed fan? I'm not clear on that if someone could help out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 8:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Contour Fan + flex a lite controller question

P/N is 31163-91163.

Looks like it's a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) controller. BUT, it's only rated for 45 amps. Do you know how much the current the contour fans pull? Do you have the factory wiring diagram for the fans and know what size fuse they used?

If the current/fuse size is below 45 amps, wire them in and don't sweat it.

With all that being said, I read through the directions/details of the controller.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...re-sensor.html

It's pulse width modulated, meaning it sends pulses of 12v to the fans to simulate lower voltage. When they first cut on, it's at 60%, then as temp rises it increases the pulses until you're at a full 12v at the fans. Almost like a gas pedal for your fans, if that helps?

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 9:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I have a set of fans in my 64. If you can get the electrical box in the engine bay from donor car, it is pretty easy to wire.

Contour Fan Relays Photo by ajenga | Photobucket

John

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 4:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
I have a set of fans in my 64. If you can get the electrical box in the engine bay from donor car, it is pretty easy to wire.

Contour Fan Relays Photo by ajenga | Photobucket
I'm not sure why you would need a donor electrical box but yes they would be pretty easy to wire to toggle switches but I would like them to run more like factory. I know I forget to turn things off.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 4:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
P/N is 31163-91163.

Looks like it's a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) controller. BUT, it's only rated for 45 amps. Do you know how much the current the contour fans pull? Do you have the factory wiring diagram for the fans and know what size fuse they used?

If the current/fuse size is below 45 amps, wire them in and don't sweat it.

With all that being said, I read through the directions/details of the controller.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...re-sensor.html

It's pulse width modulated, meaning it sends pulses of 12v to the fans to simulate lower voltage. When they first cut on, it's at 60%, then as temp rises it increases the pulses until you're at a full 12v at the fans. Almost like a gas pedal for your fans, if that helps?
Here is some testing data i have found on the Contour fans
Car off
12.1V

Startup spike
Up to 120amps

Constant draw
25 Amp

Car Running
14.4V

Startup
135 Amp

Constant Draw
33 Amp

The spike are why i want to use the PWM controller. I 'd prefer to harm the charging system least amount as I can.
I can check for the wiring diagram later
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 7:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

oh.. I just went back and re-read your original post. It's a single fan w/ 2 speeds, correct?

I would figure out how it's wired up stock on high, whether both motors need +12 or not, and connect to the controller in the high configuration. Hopefully that makes sense?

The PWM is the way to go. I think Enganeer was stating that you could use a junkyard box vs purchasing the flexalite controller. You could replace the switches he shows w/ thermal switches. I usually use something like this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 1:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

I'm running something similar,(Windstar fan). The 2 speed fan has 3 wires, one is a ground, the other 2 control the speed. Power to one wire is slow speed, power to 2 is high speed, so yes you need to connect them both to the power output on the controller. Also the controller has a soft start so it will pull a lower amperage when it starts the fan, about 40 percent less amp spike when it first turns on.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
oh.. I just went back and re-read your original post. It's a single fan w/ 2 speeds, correct?

I would figure out how it's wired up stock on high, whether both motors need +12 or not, and connect to the controller in the high configuration. Hopefully that makes sense?

The PWM is the way to go. I think Enganeer was stating that you could use a junkyard box vs purchasing the flexalite controller. You could replace the switches he shows w/ thermal switches. I usually use something like this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
no its a dual 2 speed fan
so what is the difference between the fan controller and using a relay setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 789 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.