Need Help w Overheating 327 '66 - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Re: Need Help w Overheating 327 '66

Ya, the heads are going to need to be pulled and cleaned.

With luck, maybe the galvanic corrosion build up from the iron / aluminum intake interaction is confined to the ports right next to the manifold and not down into the block deck passages...won't know until you check.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I bet once you get it clear, then flowing, you can re-assemble and keep flushing until clear. I know I'd hate to remove and tear down an engine that was otherwise in good shape. I wonder if you can get a bore scope type camera down in the head passages and check the block's passages.
Enganeer likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
Ya, the heads are going to need to be pulled and cleaned.

With luck, maybe the galvanic corrosion build up from the iron / aluminum intake interaction is confined to the ports right next to the manifold and not down into the block deck passages...won't know until you check.
I'm really hoping beyond all hope that it's caused by the difference in the metals. I'm not going to pull the heads until I know for sure that the blockages go past them. With any luck, I can clean the passages, put the intake back on. Then water, cleaning agent, rinse... repeat.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r

post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Should ditch that intake and get a dual plane RPM set up.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 9:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Should ditch that intake and get a dual plane RPM set up.
I've had that thought already, a dual plane would fit this application much better. Step by step, I'll get there, but after the car is running and driving.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 9:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Yea that was probably the radiator mount I was looking at in the picture.
Black angled item the full length of radiator in front of radiator at the area just below top tank.

You might be able to get a good flush of the heads by removing water pump and plating off the front or rear head water passage and running water hose in the other passage ..and or blowing compressed air into water passages.
Cover lifter valley good and install valve covers and start flushing.

That stuff looks terrible you picked out of there.
sure would inhibit flow.
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 9:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Went through the intake last night to make sure it was all clean. Hosed it out and got confidence to get after the blockages on the heads. Like I said before a pick wouldn't really scratch them. Laid aluminum foil through the valley to help with clean up. I chiseled into the blockage with dead blow hammer and screwdriver, surprisingly was able to get into the first blockage and it wasn't very deep. If the flushing and cleaning agent regimen (x50) had continued, it might have gotten through it and cost me several hundred dollars.

The back two ports looked even worse but after I was able to get through them with a screw driver, they released their crud. There's concern that crud continued deep into the heads and the block but I saw no evidence of it. It truly must have been a reaction of the aluminum intake and the cast heads.

Also a concern would be if there are chunks floating around in the system, it's going to block the new radiator. The new one got swapped out and the old one is back in. I'll also be flushing with water and cleaning agent for a couple of washes.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

If that was my Engine when you saw where and how bad it was Blocked I would have pulled the Engine down

layer by layer and cleaned it that way

you have more patience than I do

great job/work you are doing
wihaltom likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Run water through the radiator backwards. That might release any pieces of crud that are sitting against passages trying to get in. Fill it up and shake the crap (literally) out of it.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Good job on the clean out. I've seen that type of build up on the GM vortec engines w/ dexcool. It builds up @ the rear blocked off coolant ports between iron heads/aluminum intake just like yours has.

When you put the intake back on, leave the thermostat off, stick a hose in the opening, then block off the water pump openings in the block with your hands, let the coolant passages fill up, then release the water to help flush the remaining crud out of the system repeat until you get clean water coming out.

I also leave the thermostat open until the system is buttoned back up, fill the cooling system through the opening to reduce any chance of air pockets when you fire it up for the first time.

Good luck!
Kirk's67SS likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
When you put the intake back on, leave the thermostat off, stick a hose in the opening, then block off the water pump openings in the block with your hands, let the coolant passages fill up, then release the water to help flush the remaining crud out of the system repeat until you get clean water coming out.

I also leave the thermostat open until the system is buttoned back up, fill the cooling system through the opening to reduce any chance of air pockets when you fire it up for the first time.
What if I left the water pump on and flushed it through there? The passages on the pump are pretty large so the chunks wouldn't get caught up. Plus it could probably use a good rinse with the cleaning agent. Then I can block one port of the pump to direct the flushing better instead of all over my garage floor.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old May 17th, 18, 2:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

That would be fine as well. I'd hold your hand over the inlet (bottom) port of the water pump, fill the engine up, then move your hand and let it drain. That's usually how I rinse mine out, actually did it last night.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I bet I flushed the motor 20 times, tons of crap came out, here's what it looked like after that.

Flushed it 20 more times after that until I didn't see any particulates. Let the motor run with just water, no thermostat, and only idle. It ran so well that a celebratory idle down the street was in order! No overheating with the old radiator. After it cools, I'll drain it again, refill then add the Blue Devil again.

Some how lost a headlight in the process.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 1:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

Nice work!

Those old headlights burn out randomly at any given time!

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 8:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

That is how you know you worked on it. You can't work on anything without something else failing. Maybe give the wires a waggle and reseat the connector. Good job on the cooling..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 616 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.