Bug Hunt Computer related problems
Virus warnings - Technical help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 6:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Hey computer guys - Windows 10 upgrade question

Hey guys,
My Wife has a 4 year old Dell desktop that has Win7 on it. We did not do the free Win10 upgrade when it was available from Microsoft. She wants to upgrade it to Windows 10 but I am not sure which route to go. I can purchase the update through the MS site. Or there is plenty of info suggesting that you can still get it for free with a little work. I don't mind doing that if it is going to work. Obviously we will backup any pictures, documents etc so there will not be an issue if something happens during the update.

Her present computer has well more than the minimum requirements for Win10 so it should be fine.

The other option is a new box but she has some hardware for her embroidering machines that needs a serial port and it seems like that is not included on newer boxes.

So . . . has anyone tried the free update lately and did it work out ok ? Or should I bite the bullet and take the safe way out and pay MS the $129 they want for the upgrade ?

Any thought s ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 7:21 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Hey computer guys - Windows 10 upgrade question

Glad I got it when it was free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 7:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick87gn View Post
Glad I got it when it was free.

Yup, I did my laptop but we didnt do hers.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 9:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Win10 is bad about not having drivers for legacy hardware especially video cards and the worst part about it is most hardware manufacturers will not code a driver, their excuse is the hardware needs to be upgraded.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Do a search on how to restore your pc back to its factory as new settings. You need to make a copy of all the files and programs you want to save on a cd, memory stick or... and reload after your all done. Once the system is restored as new, you will be able to download the free windows 10 upgrade. Then reload all the files you saved.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 11:37 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Yes, the upgrade is still free and uses the Win 7 product key to activate Win 10. Don't fear the loss of her RS-232 comm port because there are dependable USB-to-Comm (RS-232) port adapters that work fine.

Well . . . fine as long as you stick with an FTDI chipset in the new adapter. It seems that the Chinese have hacked the Prolific chipsets with less than stellar performance as the result. The FTDI-equipped device will be a little more expensive but with way fewer headaches.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The upgrade to Windows 10 has not been free for over 2 years now. The best way for you to upgrade is to purchase a full retail copy of Windows 10 (if you have Windows 7 Home Premium, purchase Windows 10 Home - if you have Windows 7 Professional, purchase Windows 10 Professional). The reason to get the full retail version (NOT the OEM version), is that it can upgrade your existing Windows 7 installation without losing any of your files or programs. If you purchase an OEM verison, you have to erase the hard drive to install it - not the way to go.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-win...82E16832397825

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-win...82E16832397826

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 12:23 AM

Bill, use Windows10Upgrade24074.exe and you can still get windows 10 for free. i just did a pair of pc's for a buddy yesterday. it must be this exact version though, because i have found that other versions of this file don't work anymore. i would upload it here but they won't let me. james
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 8:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Also to add while new PCs don't have serial ports, there are USB to Serial Port adapters. I would suggest getting one first, testing with your existing computer before buying a new one with a wish and a hope. They are pretty cheap.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=usb+to+serial

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in