Virus warnings - Technical help.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 1 Post By Nazarah

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

WIFI Router Recomendations?

I have a old NetGear WNDR4500Vr it keeps dropping internet..maybe time to get a new one..

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 12:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: WIFI Router Recomendations?

I'm not computer or internet savvy but my nephew who works at Intel tells me to get the newest technology you can afford. At least it will last 3 or 4 years before considered "out of date".

I have a Netgear C6300 which is already several years old. It has two different outputs (For lack of a better word) and can handle our family's four computers, cellphones, garage door opener, and the TV (Netbased streaming). It has never dropped even when everything is operating at the same time.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 4:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I tried that "Route"...buying my own router.
But models get dropped off from being supported/updated so quickly, I now lease ours monthly from Xfinity.
When it gets outdated or dies, it gets replaced.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 8:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I have always had my own equipment with Xfinity/Comcast. And I always will, there is zero benefit to using theirs for more than a couple months.
Last year I wanted to up my internet speed, and when I did, it got faster, but not what they said it should go to. So a tech came out, and decided it may be my cable modem was too far back in specs.
I agreed to try their equipment, and he said I could return it within 30 days for no cost.
Speed was a bit faster then spec/plan so it was my modem. Also the WiFi speed and range on it was FAR superior to my own old equipment. I was VERY pleased, but I wanted my own.
I did a TON of reading and I wanted the best WiFi period, and I have a lot of equipment in my house, and I wanted 8 wired ports. So I got a separate cable modem, for cheap, it came, I set it up feeding the rental box from Comcast, no speed change. SO then I did a WiFi router search, and things really have changed in last 5 years, but not much new recently in specs, just in quantity.
After reading TONS of real reviews, but testing labs, and other reviews. I blew a lot on the one that had "OVERKILL" in every review. It had a lot of specialty features for gamers, that you can just ignore or turn off. But the hardware is phenomenal.
I got the ASUS GT-AC5300
It has 8 wired gigabit ports, and some can be linked for ultra geeks.
It has 3 radios, 8 antennas and disgusting range speed strength signal on WiFi, my neighbors must hate me! (our homes are spread out fairly good here, so probably now)
Also I use a ROKU with wireless remote which is notorious for blocking WiFi and I now have zero problems. I used to have a device in basement, and 1 upstairs bedroom. Now the whole house (3 floors 2400 sq ft) has speed well beyond the actual internet connection.
Yes it was expensive compared to others almost the same, but I never looked back and never regretted it.
Currently $350 on Amazon.
PLUS it looks freaking cool, or creepy depending on your point of view, but hide it wherever you want, it will work fine.
427L88 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Same one I have.

I have 2 roku's, 1 apple, 2 comcasts.

Multiple game systems, multiple computers, phones...

This router handles ALL of it effortlessly.
I also use a phone app for monitoring.

Well worth the high price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Same one I have.

I have 2 roku's, 1 apple, 2 comcasts.

Multiple game systems, multiple computers, phones...

This router handles ALL of it effortlessly.
I also use a phone app for monitoring.

Well worth the high price.
IF you only need awesome WiFi there are a couple alternatives that are probably better. I wanted the kickass wifi, and I required the 8 ports, that was basically what had it all.
THis one only has 4 ports, and there are others as well
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

I use an Airport Extreme. It services 4 computers, a few tv's, Roku, and 3 printers. One of the computers is on the other side of a concrete wall. It has been flawless and faster than the incoming signal,but I'm sure it's at the end of it's shelf life soon though.
My A/V guy installs Pakedge equipment on my clients homes, which is crazy stupid wicked stuff. I can get a 5 bar signal on the other side of a 8 acre property, and you can run an entire town off the thing. It also comes with a crazy stupid price tag. About 4500.00 installed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 2:58 PM
Tech Team
Jay

I have a AmpliFi HD WiFi System by Ubiquiti Labs with 2 mesh points. I'm a software engineer by day so I need a robust and reliable connection. This has been the best I have found so far. But it's not cheap. I run the whole house on this with streaming and have no performance issues.

Jay
1968 Chevelle Malibu, 350 - Project
Build:

Central FL
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 6:35 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Also I use a ROKU with wireless remote which is notorious for blocking WiFi and I now have zero problems.

PLUS it looks freaking cool, or creepy depending on your point of view, but hide it wherever you want, it will work fine.
What do you mean the Roku remote is notorious for blocking wifi? I sometimes have some weird Roku issues. And at first glance, i thought your router was a joke. it looks creepy to me.

I just got comcast installed, and like you, hate renting equipment.

OP...... I have a Motorola MG7540 that im not wild about. I think the wireless signal is marginal at best. A friend of mine has this same router in a single story house, and it has trouble reaching the back bedroom, which can only be like 50' away from it. I have a netgear router at my other house, which i think has a stronger wifi signal. If i had to buy another router, i would buy the netgear over the motorola.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I am using an Asus RT-AC68U router. It is reasonably priced, and it performs very well. I just set up the same one at my cousin's house, and my neighbor's son is using the same one. It works well and has given me no trouble (I am over a year on uptime right now).

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rt-ac68u...-174-_-Product

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Bandit, be sure it's your router that's dropping the net and not the modem itself. It is possible your modem is flapping, which is when your modem temporarily goes offline, sometimes only for a few seconds.

This should be obvious, but ensure your router is a dual band (2.4g and 5g).

Always be on the 5g network unless your device can't see the 5g, or you're too far out of range from the 5g.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
What do you mean the Roku remote is notorious for blocking wifi? I sometimes have some weird Roku issues. And at first glance, i thought your router was a joke. it looks creepy to me.

I just got comcast installed, and like you, hate renting equipment.

OP...... I have a Motorola MG7540 that im not wild about. I think the wireless signal is marginal at best. A friend of mine has this same router in a single story house, and it has trouble reaching the back bedroom, which can only be like 50' away from it. I have a netgear router at my other house, which i think has a stronger wifi signal. If i had to buy another router, i would buy the netgear over the motorola.
Sorry, I missed this reply,
If you look up ROKU and WiFi Interference setting, and the "Hidden Menus" there is a lot you can do.
And yes, this router does look creepy, and some people put the antennas down and it stands like a spider.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 7:47 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah

Another option.

I just changed my home network over to Google mesh wifi. It works great! I've got a minimum of 18 devices online at any given time (lots of smart home stuff) and when all of the family members are home, we step it up over 20. With at least two and sometimes more devices streaming 720 or higher video at a time. No more buffering. When I'm forced to be outside of the garage I'm also in the IT industry as a systems engineer so installation was simple. But I would say even for the average home user, install will be a breeze. Google makes it very user friendly.

I almost went the Ubiquiti route, as Jays-68 has done. Sounds like that is a solid platform as well.
427L88 likes this.

Never stop learning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in