post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: FED UP with Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Also it is available for Edge.
Edge is a horrible browser - just like Safari. Can't stand either of them.

To the OP, if you do install AdBlock Plus, be aware that it is set to allow what they call 'non-intrusive' ads. You can disable that setting
a few seconds after you install it. Then you should be pretty much ad free. Some ads will get through from time to time, as website owners
are constantly finding ways to circumvent the ad blockers. The problem I have with that, is that they REFUSE to screen the ads, so the
overwhelming majority of them are scams.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Edge is a horrible browser - just like Safari. Can't stand either of them.
I understand people don't like it, doesn't change the fact that you can run AdBlockPlus on it.
Unfortunately, one of Edge's major problems is actual web sites treating it differently (like IE). MANY (actually most) sites that don't work correctly in Edge is because THEY are coded wrong. If you make Edge send agent string that it is another browser like Chrome, the site works fine. This is a problem with the sites, not Edge. If they receive the same site as Chrome, it displays the page the same. Personally I use nothing but Edge on my PC, I use Chrome on mobile devices (iPads, and Android phones).
If someone has problems with Edge, some research is needed, not just labelling it "horrible" without actual tech reasons. It has several features I like, and since I work in IT, and support infrastructure that allows remote access for many tens of thousands of users, I see pretty much every device config out there, both Enterprise wide, and Home PC/Equipment.
I know there are other Edge issues, but it also has many benefits, and if something doesn't work for me, I first try agent string, then I will use a different browser to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
To the OP, if you do install AdBlock Plus, be aware that it is set to allow what they call 'non-intrusive' ads. You can disable that setting
a few seconds after you install it.
Agreed, I have played with the settings in AdBlock Plus, and it is quite versatile. Like on this page, I don't mind the "Hot Deals" bar that is actually coded into this site. But when sites drop ads from Google or other Ad services into a page, based on whatever algorithm, and your device has to wait for all those to load from who knows what other site, I block them.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
I understand people don't like it, doesn't change the fact that you can run AdBlockPlus on it.
Unfortunately, one of Edge's major problems is actual web sites treating it differently (like IE). MANY (actually most) sites that don't work correctly in Edge is because THEY are coded wrong. If you make Edge send agent string that it is another browser like Chrome, the site works fine. This is a problem with the sites, not Edge. If they receive the same site as Chrome, it displays the page the same. Personally I use nothing but Edge on my PC, I use Chrome on mobile devices (iPads, and Android phones).
If someone has problems with Edge, some research is needed, not just labelling it "horrible" without actual tech reasons. It has several features I like, and since I work in IT, and support infrastructure that allows remote access for many tens of thousands of users, I see pretty much every device config out there, both Enterprise wide, and Home PC/Equipment.
I know there are other Edge issues, but it also has many benefits, and if something doesn't work for me, I first try agent string, then I will use a different browser to test.
Edge has issues and it also does not 'feel' right. Firefox is the best browser - highly customizable, fast, stable. I realize that many web programmers today are just plain lazy - they refuse to code for more than one browser (although I was under the impression that HTML5 was supposed to end all of that foolishness - apparently it didn't, or maybe the majority of websites have not switched over yet).

I have gripes with Chrome, too (no print button, won't remember usernames on some websites, nowhere near as customizable as Firefox, etc.). If you like Edge, by all means use it. It is just not a browser that I recommend to anyone - same with Safari. There are better options out there.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 1:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
https://getadblock.com/ This should work with all browsers.

This will work to block all adds on you tube if you are running chrome. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hmhepckk?hl=en

I run both, Add block plus is another good add blocker.
Worked G-R-E-A-T! I had forgotten just how nice things were before the " Marketing / Advertising " goons got ahold of the net. Performance is SOOOOOO much better now. As I said I don't begrudge the advertisers a chance to sell their wares but like so many things in this world the ads on the net have gone way overboard. I also realize that one mans "tolerable"is another mans "overboard"...how do ya find a happy medium? I know my tolerable limit was reached with the damn block of advertisement text creeping across the actual content I was trying to read. That and the ads disguised as an E-mail in my inbox were the last straw for me. ENOUGH.

Thanks for the tip.

Oman
davewho1 likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Worked G-R-E-A-T! I had forgotten just how nice things were before the " Marketing / Advertising " goons got ahold of the net. Performance is SOOOOOO much better now.

Thanks for the tip.

Oman
]

I'm glad we were able to offer you some peace.
davewho1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in