View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 2:41 PM
zombie1969
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: Restoration and VIN tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Is that what happened? Seems more like a dispute about just how much sheet metal can be replaced on a car and the car still be considered the one the VIN belongs to. If one takes a VIN plate off one car and puts it on another, isn't that the same just 'replacing' the sheet metal? If the cowl and dash is rusted beyond the ability to fix it does that justify taking the VIN plate off one car and putting it on another?

I don't know anything about this shop but the blog says they do classis recreations and not classic restorations. If that's the case, why wouldn't they just apply for a state VIN on their recreations and avoid any conflict?

While I agree, if the blog is correct, that the officials may have applied the law (whatever it reads) too severly saying you can't replace any sheetmetal on a car without re-titling it. Somehow I don't think the law reads it that strictly as salvage yards would be out of business if they couldn't sell body panels and repair shops couldn't use salvage yard (or dealer or aftermarket) sheet metal to repair a fender or quarter panel.
From what I read in the link provided seemed to me they were looking for stolen shop equipment not vin tampering and didn't find any stolen equipment so weren't going to just say oops our bad and leave an open door for a lawsuit so found anything they could to cover there a$$.In my area last week a teen girl claimed she was abducted and the neighborhood was torn apart looking for a guy that didn't exist because she lied and a guy was pulled from his house handcuffed and pinned against his outer wall of his house for no reason what so ever.This guy wasn't a sex offender or anything just a normal joe sitting in his house doing whatever.Without seeing the actual search warrant nobody can say for sure how it went down but its how I see it.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome