Finally made up my mind and ordered BB motor today - Chevelle Tech
2001 General Tech questions from 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 3:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

It took me for ever, but finally decided.
Just ordered from Summit the Merlin 509 with aluminum heads. The motor will be dynoed and broken in at WP manufacturing, then sent to Summit Nevada warehouse and then on its way to its new home

They said I would get it in 3 weeks (right about the time I would have to go to Europe for 1 week ) so I will let everyone know when the beast arrives and post some pics on my web.

I am getting excited now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 3:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

From the sound of it you will be looking at the longest three weeks of your life

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Oh yeah, but I have plenty to do to get everything ready for the motor, so if I stay busy it will go by fast, that's what they say anyway

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 5:33 PM

I thought you were going to order from racingengines.com. Did these other guys give you a better deal?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 7:06 PM
Gold Member

Okay, lets try to both finish our rides by next summer so we can run them side by side at SIR...... whoo hooo......

Did you decide what tranny yet?

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 9:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

The aluminum was cheaper than the price that I got from racingengines, so I went with that. Also, the 509 aluminum is putting out at least as much, if not more, than the 540 iron plus the weight savings so I went for that. Hopefully the BB Hotchkins front springs will not hold the motor too far up.

Mike, I can't wait until next summer man. I am ready to finish the darn thing now, but you are probably right, it will be 1 year from now. Unless if we get another winter like we had this year to motivate me to finish it sooner, so I can drive it when dry.

I am thinking about the 200 now, because it will be an easier swap, don't take as much HP to turn, don't have to change my driveshaft, and I like the 2.74 first gear ratio. Hope Bruce's tranny can take that torque, from what I have heard it can.

One concern is that with my 3.89 rear ratio and .68 overdrive, engine rpm at 60 mph with 28" tire will be 1950 rpm!! Am I missing something in my calculations, or does the formula that I am using assumes 0 tranny slip. How many RPM would the tranny slip add? I would like to be around 2300 rpm or so at 60 mph.

Thanks everyone.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 9:46 PM
Gold Member

With a lockup tranny you will be turning about 1950 RPM but why does that concern you? You were in my Corvette and I was driving with it locked at 1300 RPM! With 509 cubes you can just idle down the road or put the trany into 3rd......

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I have no idea why it concerns me. Now that you said it, it makes no sense. So I am concerned no more The motor puts plenty of torque at that rpm anyway. Thanks once again Mike.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 07, 8:27 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Finally made up my mind and ordered BB motor today

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniz View Post
It took me for ever, but finally decided.
Just ordered from Summit the Merlin 509 with aluminum heads. The motor will be dynoed and broken in at WP manufacturing, then sent to Summit Nevada warehouse and then on its way to its new home

They said I would get it in 3 weeks (right about the time I would have to go to Europe for 1 week ) so I will let everyone know when the beast arrives and post some pics on my web.

I am getting excited now.

I have been installing my 509 World Class motor with aluminum heads over the last 4 weeks and have had a series of problems. I would be interested in finding out if you have a plug fouling issue with the AED carb and if there are any inherent "knocking" sounds in the upper end of the engine. Thus far for me it's been quite discouraging but that doesn't mean that you will have the same unfortunate circumstances - please let me know how things go -

Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 07, 9:36 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: Finally made up my mind and ordered BB motor today

I would hope Yanniz has it worked out by now...the original post is over 6 years old!!

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4303 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.