Malibu wagon 4-speed. - Chevelle Tech
2001 General Tech questions from 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Moloko
I just found a malibu wagon near me with a 4 speed.... looks to be a 78. It has a 6cyl, and is 500 bucks. I heard a 4-speed malibu from this era is rare, but how rare? Is it even more rare that this is a wagon?

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 3:00 PM
Tech Team

How rare...Very rare. I think something like 1500 total that year had manual trans. I could be wrong on that tho.

Best thing would be to buy the wagon and then sell the linkage and pedals...worth 500 on its own.

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/M-20 Finally!
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 3:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

A wagon with a four speed, sounds to me.

Do I see an engine swap in the future?

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 4:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

If the body isn't to bad and you have the time and money I would go with the engine swap idea. A 4 speed wagon would be way cool.

Steve R.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 4:33 PM
Tech Team

Andy is right on the money. I have paid $500 for the linkage for that swap alone. If you decide that you don't like the car, then sell the linkage, and then sell the car for $200, and you've made a profit.

------------------
Nick
Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 4:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Sounds good, Im gonna try to check out the car sometime this week, if I buy it I'll sell my buick

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 6:00 PM

A 4 speed car is rare indeed.....how rare I am not sure though. I have a 78 2 Dr. Malibu with a factory V8 and 4 speed that came with No A/C and No PS, and I have been trying to find production numbers on them and as of yet, Nothing. Sounds like a keeper to me!!! OPG is reproducing the pedals, so the parts are not worth as much as they used to me

Tom

------------------
1979 Malibu-Restored
1978 Malibu Factory 4 speed
1979 Malibu Parts Car
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 4:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I went to look at the car today, it was sold..... for 100 bucks. I saw no rust, and the interior looked perfect. I could have cried....

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Micky

I have everything to switch a Malibu over to a 4 speed, took it off my car a long time ago and then sold the car as the guy didnt want a stick. If you hear of anyone looking I will sell the stuff. Have it all including the bellhousing, fork, frame braket, z-bar, pedal assy., floor hump and bezel. I think even the boot. New pedal covers etc.

------------------
Micky Hale Restorations
69 L-89 Chevelle
68 Biscayne 427/425
34 Plymouth Drag Car
ACES #134
www.mickyhale.com
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 4:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I may go back tomarow and ask to speak to an adult. The kid was a real @$$. I heard him mocking me as I left. The car may still be for sale after all, the kid is probably just a ***** .

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 6:21 AM
Tech Team
Tim

The 4-speed option is rare no matter what body style it is in. I have seen this combination in Malibu 2 doors, Monte Carlos, and El Caminos. A wagon with a factory 4-speed would be a really rare car......and very neat.
I can add a good story to this topic. In 81 I ordered a new GMC Caballero loaded with all possible options including V-8 4-speed. The only options that I could not get were cruise control and strange as it may seem positraction!!!! I submitted the order two times trying to get the posi but it was rejected both times! I had a lot of fun with this truck but being the fool I am sold it in 83. The 3rd owner still owns it. He worked for a GM dealer and did a little research on production figures.......he was told that there were only TWO 81 Caballeros produced with 4-speed transmissions!!!
Since then I acquired another 81 El Camino that was a V-6 3-speed out of Arizona. It is now powered by a TPI Vette 350 with an original 4-speed behind it! DEJA VOU!!!!!
By the way, I have a friend looking for a complete manual transmission set up for one of these G-body cars. He needs all of the pieces.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 8:53 AM
RatMotor69

I have a tan (Pastel Sandstone) '81 GMC Caballero with a 4 speed, no posi, A/C, buckets, console, and some other goodies that I bought, in poor shape I might add, from a guy in Springfield Virginia. I love it!

I'm still looking for the OE shifter knob, but otherwise its all there! But I think there's more than 2.

And it's NOT in poor shape anymore!

[This message has been edited by RatMotor69 (edited 03-27-2001).]
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 5:11 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

There isn't really much difference between the 3 & 4-speed setups. There were both Saginaws, and even used the same shift lever (even the mechanisms were almost identical). The consoles used on these rare manual trans late A-bodies were the same whether it was a Malibu Classic, Monte Carlo, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Cutlass or Regal. I don't have the production figures, but they are certainly rare.
I have a road test from a 1979 Motor Trend of a '79 Grand Prix SJ with a 301 / 4-spd. I later read in High Performance Pontiac that only 50 such GPs were made in '79. My brother missed out on a '78 Monte Carlo back in the early eighties that had a 231 Buick / 4-spd. All the makings were there. Also in 1981 GM Canada built a batch of '81 plain Malibus that were sent to Iraq as taxis. Iraq reneged and the cars were shipped back to Canada and sold cheap the following model year. They were all the same option-wise (ac/, blackwalls, small hubcaps, bumper guards, tinted w/s, am/fm stereo, 229 V6 / 3-spd.) I haven't seen a good one in years; there was a junker in my neighborhood that disappeared suddenly 2 years ago (so much for grabbing the parts).
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 07, 9:29 PM
Joe

Re: Malibu wagon 4-speed.

Hello all, I'm new to this site, just found it tonight. Anyway I have a 78 malibu landau factory 4 speed. I have the original wheels and tires. I put in a 327 and dual exhaust, and a paint job, but everything else is original, and was wondering what you guys might think this is worth? and if any of you would be interested in it? I'm in the process of building a chopper and already have one too many cars than my landlord allows, and the malibu has been sitting in my drive for 5 years, so I need to let it go at least someone will enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4375 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.