Speedo cable w/AutoMeter gauge - Chevelle Tech
2001 General Tech questions from 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 5:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

OK fellas, what's the scoop???? How do you adapt the existing speedo cable to the threaded end of the Auto Meter Speedo?? Do they offer an adaptor, or do you need a new cable fabbed up???? It seems strange that that they (Auto Meter) doesn't offer the same type of attachment as the GM speedo's. Am I missing something here?????

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
www.geocities.com/chevnt1_chevelle/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 7:49 AM
Wally

It's just amazing what you can find if you look!

Where can I purchase speedometer cables and how can I calibrate my speedometer?

We first suggest contacting Speedometer Service, out of Milwaukee, WI. They can assist you with adapters, cable gears, and new cables for virtually every application. The phone number to reach them at is: (414) 463-6660.

Speedometer cables may be purchased at your local auto parts store. Auto Meter speedometers come with a standard 5/8" x 18 threaded cable input that requires a .104" sq. male drive. The speedometer is calibrated for a 1:1 drive ratio (1,000 RPM at 60 MPH input at the speedometer head.)

If the vehicle tire size and/or rear end differential are not stock, a different driven gear in the transmission may be required for speedometer accuracy. If a change in the driven gear is made, you very likely will also have to change the drive gear in the transmission to maintain the proper gear tooth arrangement. Another approach is to use a "correcting ratio" drive joint to adjust the speedometer input to 1,000 RPM at 60MPH. The ratio can be determined by comparing your speedometer reading against another car having an accurate speedometer and dividing the speeds (Accurate speed & Your speed = Ratio needed.) Auto parts stores or speedometer specialty shops ((see Speedo Service information_link to go there))carry "correcting ratio" drive joints or contact Auto Meter Service Department for assistance at (815) 895-8141 8:00AM-4:30PM Central Time.

Also, see electronic speedometers throughout our online catalog. These speedometers are
programmable and feature push button calibration. They can be calibrated repeatedly with tire and gear changes. Senders are available to convert from mechanical take off or electronic sensor.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
1967 Malibu, 2nd owner.
1971 Malibu, been in the family since new.
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech Team

That's why I'm going with the electronic speedo.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 9:26 PM

Just went throught the same thing with my '69 - put in all new Autometers. Finally found an adaptor at Summit for about $14. It's not in the catalog so you have to ask the sales rep for the thing. Its a small fitting about 2" long thats threaded on one end for the Autometer speedo with the other end made to accept the clip-on type cable end. Took about 2 minutes to put it all together.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 4:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Thanks for the replies. I'll check into that adaptor from Summit. I talked to my friend yesterday and he went and had a new cable made for about $50.

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 9:03 AM
Team Member

Do you have the part number from Summit? we need the same item.

Team Members,

Richard and Judy White, MAXX2

------------------
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 10:08 AM
Tech Team

Wish I knew about that adapter thingy before I ordered a new $45 cable. I had one built for the new dash by United Speedometer. And my speedo was obviously way off and they also sent out a ratio adapter that plugs right into the tranny side of the cable. Works mint and for the first time in nearly 5 years, I can actually tell how fast I'm really going.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://bruteforcechevelle.freeservers.com/
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 8:08 PM

Been looking all over for either the invoice or shipping bag so I can get you guys the part number on that adaptor but can't find a thing. I'll keep looking but that was back in November so it's probably buried under about 2 feet of assorted parts, cartons, and whatnot by now (I average about a foot a month).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 4:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

I checked the Auto Meter sight quite throughly. I couldn't come up with an adaptor that they offer. Must be a different company that offers it.

Yellow69ss,k eep us updated if you find the invoice.

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 02, 6:46 AM

Never could find any paperwork on that adaptor so I called up Summit and had them check on my order history. They are still carrying it as VDO part no. 200203 and have several in stock. It's not in any of the catalogs or on-line so you have to ask for it specifically.
Hope this helps some,
George
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 02, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

George,
thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 02, 7:12 AM
Team Member

Thanks. We'll also check it out. By the way, are there advantages/disadvantages to using mechanical speedos over electronic? Just curious more than anything else.

Team Members,

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

------------------
'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, 4L60 (Non computer) W/Lokar Shifter, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 12 Bolt Posi.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 02, 9:12 AM

Rich,
I would have preferred to go elec. but couldn't find one that I could use. I fabricated a new instrument/gauge panel from fiberglass sheet and installed a 6-pack of Autometer Ultralites. The new dash face is so small that I had to use 2-1/16" for volt, fuel, oil, and water and the 3-3/4" size for tach and speedo. The only speedo in that style and size was mech. so I just did that and used the original cable. I would really have preferred an elec. type that could be reset with tire or rear-end changes etc. There's also the price thing (as usual) with the mech. being considerably less expensive than the elec. type + sender unit. I'll post a picture of my new dash one of these days if your'e interested.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 8:53 PM
jera

Re: Speedo cable w/AutoMeter gauge

take pics
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Re: Speedo cable w/AutoMeter gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldfler View Post
take pics
You replied to a post over 8 years old

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3256 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.