Could this SS454 be for real? - Chevelle Tech
2001 General Tech questions from 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 1:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jody

I just brief look at a 70 SS454. It has been recently repainted. Looks to be Fathom Blue. What makes me wonder about the car is it has a bench seat and column shift. It has a 12 bolt rearend with the swaybar. It has the cowl induction hood and stripes with all SS emblems. The car looks very nice and has antique license plates on it. It was locked and I wasn't able to see anyone. Don't know about the engine yet. I'm hoping for an LS6 but in reality it's probably not even the original engine but I don't know for sure. Could this be an SS with a bench seat and column shift for the auto trans? BTW, the price for the car is $4500.00 It sure would look good sitting beside my 69.
Jody

------------------
jodysss396 (or Jody)
1969 Chevelle SS396
Fathom Green
Numbers Matching
TC member #921
A.C.E.S. #4348
Jody's 69 SS396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

My brand new SS454 LS6 came with a bench seat. I ordered it that way in june of 70. I also had the rear sway bar in conjunction with the Dana "60" rear end. No Idea about the column shift. Mine was a 4spd. I would have assumed there would be a console shift in an SS but you never know. In 70 you could pretty much tailor a car to your own tastes if you were willing to wait for the car to be built. Not much would surprise me from back then.

------------------
1970 SS454 LS6 Chevelle, Damn! why did I sell that car?
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 1:14 PM
Tech Team

nah ss's came with buckets and a console for on the floor auto matic shifting. which would be why its a super sport you cant really bang through the gears that well when your shifiting on the colum but i highly doubt its a real ss. also look at the dash to see if it has round gauges or the left to right speedo if it has the lr one its not an ss...pop the hood too its easy with that latch just dont let the owner catch you or else the'll think your trying to jack them..haha

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

If I could but an authentic 1970 #'s matching SS454 LS6 for $4500 I would probably break my arm getting my wallet out. Look at the current issue of the N.A.D.A. "blue book". If I am not mistaken it retails a perfect LS6 for almost $100,000. Ya wanna look real carefully at that car!

------------------
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 1:41 PM
Tech Team

my 72 SS 402 Ccar had bench seat and auto on the tree. also had a 72 ss 402 car with bench seat 4 speed . it could be a real ss
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 1:54 PM
Gold Founding Member
Bob

Darn Jody:

I just left El Dorado! Had I known I could have run over there. Will be back there again end of next month. Hold it for me.

BTW: I really am looking for an SS

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

[This message has been edited by BobFmTyler (edited 10-25-2001).]
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 2:07 PM
Tech Team
Bob

There are most definitely 1970 LS-6's that came with bench seats and column shift. I've seen two documented LS-6 cars that were this way. The floor shift and bucket seats were always a separate option, regardless of the motor, or whether or not it was an SS.

One of them came out of Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum about 2 years ago, it was featured on My Classic Car TV show last year and was at Autofest 2000 in Evansville Indiana. Beautiful car, fathom blue, blue interior, white stripes, bench, and column shift.

Another is owned by a doctor in the Dallas area. I spoke to him a little less than a year ago when he had it for sale on Ebay. A true sleeper, this one was even ordered with the "stripe delete". It was a red SS with LS-6 motor, bench seat, and column shift. Fully documented. I don't think it ever sold as no one met his reserve which must have been in the mid 30k range.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 2:22 PM
Tech Team

theres that one guy who always trys to sell his for 100k on ebay every once in a while.its red w/blk stripes (no way red with black havent seen that 152983508 million times)
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 3:18 PM
Tech Team
mike

charbilly,
If your car came with the dana 60 that would make it 1 rare chevelle. I thought that that rear was only available in mopar passenger cars(high performance). good luck

------------------
1969 SS 396
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 5:00 PM
Wally

Next thing you know there will be a Hemi in the thing!

Why not a Dana 70 or maybe a 14 bolt GM rear?

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
This is Chevy country, on a clear night you can hear a Ford rust!
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 5:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jody

I'll try to look or at least find out some more about the car. I'd really like to look under that hood and more underneath. From what little I saw it was a very clean car.
Jody

------------------
jodysss396 (or Jody)
1969 Chevelle SS396
Fathom Green
Numbers Matching
TC member #921
A.C.E.S. #4348
Jody's 69 SS396
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

justin, FYI my 70ss came with bench, column i converted it to buckets/4spd

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 5:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

Jody, if you don't want the car, let me know, im looking for a friend weather it's an SS or not just a clean look-a-like, his son wants to restify a muscle car (he doesn't even have his license yet) and he will work on it for the next year or so, his dad will give him either $6000 for a nice newer car, or $25-3500 for a muscle car and extra $$$ to do the work, i WISH i had that kind of dad when i was growing up

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 5:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

ratuned and wally I don't know what you two were doing in june of 1970 but I can tell you that I was ordering a 1970 SS Chevelle LS6 from the factory. I sat down with the salesman and he ckecked off everything I asked him to on the order form. The Dana 60 differential came with the SS package in conjunction with the LS6 package. My car was not picked up off the show floor. I got it my way. I do not know if a Dana 60 was available on any other car ie:375HP/396 Chevelle/Nova. I only researched the car I wanted to buy. For the sake of discussion I did not opt for the "Cowl Induction" hood ($106) nor did I care to spend a dime on power steering. I was young and strong and didn't need stuff like that. The only option I bought that wasn't something calculated to make the car go faster was the "light" package. I like lights at night if you drop something in the car. Now I don't know about Chrysler products or Ford products but you certainly could ORDER your LS6 with a Dana 60 diff. I owned one. Additionally I drove that car for about 15,000 miles before I sold it and those were truly BRUTAL miles. I beat the living crap out of that car both on and of the strip and never once broke it. I dare you to try that with your stock 12 bolt and 500 ft/lbs torque. I ALWAYS shifted that car at 7500RPM Whenever I was racing it street or strip. The driveline took literally hundreds(if not thousands) of full throttle power shifts. I romped on the gas everytime I sat in the seat. I did burnouts in my garage just for the exhiliration of hearing the motor scream. I went for joy rides everytime my wife turned her back and a joy ride in 1970 simply meant joining the other guys in their muscle cars doing the same thing day or night. After 10:30pm on any night every other car was a muscle car. If you weren't alive then you have no idea what that era was like.In case anybody out there assumes that I wasn't well versed in muscle cars, I owned a 1967 442(new), a 1968 Hurst Olds(new), A 1968 383 Challenger(used). All purchased before I bought the LS6. Now is there anything else you want to tell me I couldn't have had on my LS6?

------------------
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 6:22 PM
Wally

Let me see, you did indeed have the one and only 70 Chevelle delivered from the factory with a Dana anything rear. And you also have the only LS6 that stayed together at 7500 rpm for any period of time.

Yep you are the man, no doubt about it. Now I need to get my feet up a little.

In 1970 I was 24, just back from the war. I missed a couple of years of the "muscle car" era but I was paying attention.

The only thing you could get a Dana 60 in that had GM written on it in 1970 or any other year was a truck, 3/4 or bigger or one of the heavy vans.

If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance baffle them with you bull ****!

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
This is Chevy country, on a clear night you can hear a Ford rust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4560 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.