Could this SS454 be for real? - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
2001 General Tech questions from 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 8:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nathan

My 70 SS 396 has A/C but no P/S and it is a 4spd. Needless to say it will have P/S on it when finished.
I guess the person who ordered the car was ran out of money when it came to the P/S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 8:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nathan

Double post, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Nate (edited 11-05-2001).]
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 9:30 AM
Tech Team

I watched this post go downhill on the Dana 60 point. Sounded incorrect to me when I first read the boast but I am certainly no expert like others in here. I trusted their judgement when they said only 12 bolt.

Now, I can forgive the misunderstanding or maybe incorrect information from the dealer/salesman, as mentioned above, things get cloudy over time. But what has got lost in the shuffle was the gross exageration of the consistent 7500 RPM's power shifts. Again, I am no expert but that just sounded like a lot of braggadocio (or however you say it) BS that IMO is not needed here. If you are going to say things like that be prepared to be called on it. Wally attempted to bring the point out early on but it switched to the Dana thing and stayed there.

I talked to some old gear heads at my work and they both said "impossible" on a consistent basis and hold together (the point Wally "eloquently" stated early on) Remember Charbilly said "consistently". The one guy used to race a 68 Camaro (early 70's) with a built L-88 in it and he wasn't shifting even close to 7500 RPM

So "we" probably came down on Charbilly a little hard but most of it appeared to be just sarcastic ribbing to me. Maybe Charbilly, being the new kid on the block, was trying to just "fit in" and got a little carried away. I have read some of his subsequent posts around here and he does bring some useful knowledge for some of the less informed...like me, and I always welcome that.

I will now back away from my pulpit and finish my lunch.

'Da Mouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 9:27 PM
Tech Team

Sorry to say guys but Dana DID make rear end's for GM!
In my garage, I still have the Dana 10 bolt posi that came out of my '67 Elcamino.
Sure it's only a 10 bolt, none the less it's a Dana. By all apperances it looks like a regular 10 bolt, but on the inside it weird. No other 10 bolt carrier, 8.5 or 8.25 will fit in the housing.

When I went to rebuild it over ten years ago the dealer told me they discontinued selling parts for that type of 10 bolt. I called the GM customer relations office as suggested by Harrington Chevrolet in Everett. They told me that GM was lured by the Dana Corp. to build their limited slip differentials. Unfortunatly the 10 bolt contract lasted for about one year untill GM dropped them due to poor performance. Subsequently they renewed their contract with Eaton.

Nobody and I mean nobody makes a rebuild kit or carrier for it, period end of story.

Now you can call me a lier or tell me I'm full of B.S. But if you want to buy a plane ticket to Seattle, I'll drag out the 10 bolt rear end out of the garage. BUT, you'll have to buy all the beer me & my friends can drink.

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

'67 Elcamino
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 4:57 AM
Tech Team
mike

I don't think that anyone ever thought that dana DIDN't make parts for GM rears. and I could see how someone would be told by some BS salesman(we know they never lie) that there was a dana rear. it seems to me that the dana corp had done a lot of work for all 3 of the big 3 auto companies. there is a big difference between a 10 bolt dana rear and a dana60. but I will admit I found your info very interesting. I learn something new everytime I visit this site and that is why perhaps I am a team chevelle addict. good luck

------------------
1969 SS 396
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 06, 2:15 PM
Team Member
Paul

Re: Could this SS454 be for real?

Back to the column shift topic, Here is the million dollar LS6 at Barrett-Jackson, Buckets and column shift! How rare is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMx2pSM5m0M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4529 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.