Electric radiator fans won't come on - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 5:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Re: Electric radiator fans won't come on

BIG hugs to all of you guys! The reason I was getting a click at the relay and the fans weren't coming on when I tested for 12v was, because I did it wrong. First of all, 85 was still connected to a 12v ignition source, so lesson learned. Secondly, I grounded 85 and put 86 to the positive side of the battery and click and fans came on. Lesson learned! So, I bypassed the temperature switch and ran 86 to a 12v ignition source and now the fans come on when I turn the key. Thanks guys! I'll use the plug that came with the radiator and just plug up the temperature switch hole. Don't know how else to thank you guys!

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 5:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Ethan I was making fun of you buying all Chinese stuff, wth man..

Bart is confusing you and might have damaged your temp switch by putting batter power to it..

Turn your key on and ground the switch wire. If the relay clicks and fans come on, then it's the switch.

Also make sure your fans are blowing in the right direction..
Hey man, it's all I could afford. At least I'll be able to use it for "maybe" a summer, then I can buy a Champion or something.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 5:46 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Those fans are junk. They are not going to cool your car at idle. Especially with no shroud. I'm telling you this from personal experience.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 8:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

When you're cleaning up your wiring, leave a little slack under the relay. The red wire you have zip tied to the split loom is too tight. You want a little room for vibrations, but also leave a little droop before it goes into the relay (service loop).

If water gets in your engine bay it will go to the lowest point, the service loop, and not into the relay connector and start corroding.

Only reason I'm giving you hell for Chinese parts is you're a novice, so you're starting out learning, and making it even harder using parts that are not up to the task. I usually leads to frustration that could have been avoided.
Ethan1 likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 9:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'd pull that and put a clutch fan on..
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 9:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

This thread is a good example of how difficult troubleshooting wiring is over the internet. And it is an excellent example of someone responding quickly to suggestions with feedback, and a good primer on relays. I'm glad you got them spinning now, hope they help. I'd use fans like that as an assist, but not as my only cooling, and I'd wire them up totally separate, so if any one component fails, at least 1 fan will work.
Plus I wouldn't bother with a temperature switch, when I had an electric assist fan, I just wired a switch to turn on the relay (off of +12, not ign) so I could turn it on ahead of time and leave it on, even after shutting the car down to cool off the rad more (just don't forget and kill the battery).
Ethan1 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
Those fans are junk. They are not going to cool your car at idle. Especially with no shroud. I'm telling you this from personal experience.
I found that out after I installed them and they weren't working. So, I looked them up and saw the reviews. My mistake and I have to live with it for right now. It's all part of life. Trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I'd pull that and put a clutch fan on..
That would contradict the reasons I took the original clutch and fan off to begin with.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan1 View Post
I found that out after I installed them and they weren't working. So, I looked them up and saw the reviews. My mistake and I have to live with it for right now. It's all part of life. Trial and error.

That would contradict the reasons I took the original clutch and fan off to begin with.
That's why I was giving you grief to begin with.

Need to look around and research what fans people are using from junkyards. It's cheaper, they're more reliable, and parts are easily obtained if something goes down.

I'm planning on running LS1 camaro fans on my 64 when I get it ready to fire, did a quick test fit and will have to create small panels to make it work. Could find something better fitting, but already have the fans sitting around.

Here's a little mind blowing for you, this is how I normally wire the fans I do:

When cooling1 is triggered, fans run in series, so both are seeing 6 volts and run quiet @ half speed. When cooling2 is triggered, they go parallel, both fans see 12 volts and run at full speed. Camaros have been wired like this from the factory for quite a while.

When an ecm isn't controlling the fans, cooling1 is ignition triggered, put a diode in cooling2 trigger and run to a/c and thermostat control.

Ethan1 likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 1:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:

Need to look around and research what fans people are using from junkyards. It's cheaper, they're more reliable, and parts are easily obtained if something goes down.

I'm planning on running LS1 camaro fans on my 64 when I get it ready to fire, did a quick test fit and will have to create small panels to make it work. Could find something better fitting, but already have the fans sitting around.

Here's a little mind blowing for you, this is how I normally wire the fans I do:

When cooling1 is triggered, fans run in series, so both are seeing 6 volts and run quiet @ half speed. When cooling2 is triggered, they go parallel, both fans see 12 volts and run at full speed. Camaros have been wired like this from the factory for quite a while.

When an ecm isn't controlling the fans, cooling1 is ignition triggered, put a diode in cooling2 trigger and run to a/c and thermostat control.
I like that, took me 2 times following the purple to actually grasp how the switching ground worked.
I may save that, and modify the image showing what is actually active for each of 3 options, All off, series, then parallel.
Hotwire likes this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 2:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:

It's more than mind-blowing. That's detrimental to my health.

Just kidding. I'll print that out and study that....for a while.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 2:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Here is cooling 1 mode enabled with everything not in use removed, then cooling 2 enabled with the unused part removed, it might help understand it. It is so confusing looking mainly so that the ground side of the left fan either grounds directly, or through the input side of the right fan, all with the center relay.
If I goofed, let me know and I will edit the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooling 1 enabled.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	466801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooling 2 enabled.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	466809  

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 3:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

I gave up on complicated wiring diagrams when I left the avionics field. You guys are causing me to have flashbacks LOL. I am going to stick with my clutch fan
Hotwire likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 3:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
I gave up on complicated wiring diagrams when I left the avionics field. You guys are causing me to have flashbacks LOL. I am going to stick with my clutch fan
I don't mind them at all, but if you could see the way I ran a rad hose, just to keep a clutch fan, you'd see that I do agree with you at least a little.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 3:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Here is cooling 1 mode enabled with everything not in use removed, then cooling 2 enabled with the unused part removed, it might help understand it. It is so confusing looking mainly so that the ground side of the left fan either grounds directly, or through the input side of the right fan, all with the center relay.
If I goofed, let me know and I will edit the post.
You did fine. It took me a while to figure it out, but since then have been using it for many years. It's nice to figure it out on paper, but it's really fun wiring it up.

Things to note;
- on ECM controlled swaps I wire it up exactly as shown where ground is trigger.
- Non-ecm swaps I reverse the triggers so relays are always grounded and turn on is power.
- For cooling2 it's important to have all 3 relays turned on at the same time.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 3:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
- For cooling2 it's important to have all 3 relays turned on at the same time.
I was going to figure out if something failed and not all 3 turn on, but, eh, who cares. Then I wondered if a DPDT relay would help, but again, who cares. Nice layout, and factory(ish).
ANybody use a optical tach on the fans to see how fast they turn in series? Or measure airflow speed. I have a cheap wind gauge, I should use that on my car with and without shroud installed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 789 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.