Any pics of Mounted Autometer Electric Oil Pressure Sender - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By 70CHEVELLE396
  • 1 Post By Skier_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Any pics of Mounted Autometer Electric Oil Pressure Sender

Can't get my mechanical oil pressure gauge tube to stop leaking at the gauge. Exploring the switch to electrical......heard and saw the size of the dang sender and the requirement to mount it somewhere else. Does anyone have any pics of a nicely mounted electric oil pressure sending unit?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Any pics of Mounted Autometer Electric Oil Pressure Sender

From the engine to the gauge inside I use the woven stainless oil gauge tube. Comes in lengths of 36"--46"--& other lengths. It is about 1/4" dia. with pipe threads on both ends. Threads directly to the oil press. gauge, No other fittings needed, Its made for Mech. oil press. gauges. Snuger down with two wrenches and its good.
Using S. Warner gauges in both 70s. No leaks 18 years and the other one no leaks for 9 years
Will cost around 20-30 Bucks, And its " Forever "!
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skier_Bob View Post
Can't get my mechanical oil pressure gauge tube to stop leaking at the gauge. Exploring the switch to electrical......heard and saw the size of the dang sender and the requirement to mount it somewhere else. Does anyone have any pics of a nicely mounted electric oil pressure sending unit?

Thanks.
Are we talking small block or big block? On my BB I have an Classic Instruments electric sending unit on mine. I used the front oil galley by the #1 cylinder. It has a short 1.5" straight pipe coming out of the block then a 45 to the sender. Hides nicely behind the power steering pump/gear and header. You don't really even notice it.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Pat

I have a small block and it sits right below the dist. no real issues I can remember other than maybe having to install with dist removed. I don't really remember the install order since so many things have been in and out and changed as the process moved forward.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 4:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Hey Bart:
Thats the same place I run my woven stainless from. On my 70 LS-5 El Camino then I stuck it in the frame and brought it out near the clutch linkage so it can not be seen and then inside. ( show car thing) on my driver I just used a " T " at the back of the block and ran it from the " T " to the dash. On my 70 driver I use the " RED LIGHT " and a Mech. gauge.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 4:21 PM

I purchased a kit specially for this. It had two fittings to point sender away from the distributor. You can see the two fittings in the pic. I can install the set up, and remove it, with Dist. in place. I am not used to the mechanical gauges and will only use electrical water and oil pressure gauges and senders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0916.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	460306  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 7:58 PM
Tech Team
John

Here ya go.....look behind the m/c.
Not an autometer sender, but you get the idea.
Bracket is 1/2" plate aluminum, designed and fabbed by yours truly.
Held on to the firewall by screws through the cowl area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	460322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	460330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	460338  

Last edited by SSJohn; Jul 18th, 17 at 8:23 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

FWIW I ran my mech oil press gauge for years without a leak. Used stainless braided motorcycle brake line and a couple an to npt adapter fittings. You can buy them in different lengths and are pre made. Goodridge was the brand I used. I've since switched to a Dakota VHX gauge system, so I'm no longer using it. Had it on my Autometer Pro Comp.
Skier_Bob and HKalin like this.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 3:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

All - thank you for responding to request with fantastic info. I have a big block. Why does that dang sender have to be so big. I may try the motorcycle brake line Dave. Will get under the car and see exactly how much clearance I have or not by the filter/headers.

To all - Thanks again for the help
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 3:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
All - thank you for responding to request with fantastic info. I have a big block. Why does that dang sender have to be so big. I may try the motorcycle brake line Dave. Will get under the car and see exactly how much clearance I have or not by the filter/headers.

If you run it from the front oil galley like Bob and I did, you wont need any brake line or anything, just the fitting in the block, a 45 fem-fem and the sender. Mine clears everything perfectly, frame/steering/headers etc. Unless you are looking for it, you don't even see it. Mine is basically exactly like the pic JohnnySS posted only between the motor mount and timing cover.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 5:22 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Quote:

Bob-I installed the Autometer 3-guage all electric mini guages on my 1970 big block with stock exhaust manifolds.I installed the autometer sender and stock idiot switch at the oil filter.It was very tight but it all fit.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 5:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Last time I had a mechanical oil gauge leak at the fitting it was actually the unit leaking internal and dripping off the the fitting.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySS View Post
I purchased a kit specially for this. It had two fittings to point sender away from the distributor. You can see the two fittings in the pic. I can install the set up, and remove it, with Dist. in place. I am not used to the mechanical gauges and will only use electrical water and oil pressure gauges and senders.
I used the same set of fittings for my Classic Instruments oil pressure sender.
Works really well and clears the Pertronix distributor with room to spare.
See the red circle. (Disregard the Ryobi oil pump drive tool.)

Name:	Engine Bay 72416 4 a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	460593

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 919 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.