Advice needed - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeMalibu
  • 1 Post By 04Z06vette
  • 1 Post By blm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 7:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Advice needed

I am completing an AAW update series wiring on a 68 SS car. I will need to check function and troubleshoot when Im finished. Is there a safer way than hooking up a large battery? Maybe a 12 volt 1 1/2 amp trickle charger? Will that work or is it too wimpy? Any advice is appreciated.

Wallydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Advice needed

Outside of ringing out every wire in accordance with the schematic, no there is no other test. You can check each circuit individually by installing one fuse at a time. The trickle charger won't support most circuit loads.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
gary

The Painless instructions say to use a charger when testing.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 11:35 AM
Team Member
Mike

Remove all the fuses from the panel. Then install a fuse holder between the positive battery terminal and the feed wire to the fuse panel (probably at the battery post wire to distribution point). Then install 5A fuse and turn on key. If there any shorts it will pop the fuse. If not, you can remove the fuse holder and begin installing one fuse at a time into the fuse block, check the circuit functions, them move to the next fuse.
Wallydog likes this.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMalibu View Post
Remove all the fuses from the panel. Then install a fuse holder between the positive battery terminal and the feed wire to the fuse panel (probably at the battery post wire to distribution point). Then install 5A fuse and turn on key. If there any shorts it will pop the fuse. If not, you can remove the fuse holder and begin installing one fuse at a time into the fuse block, check the circuit functions, them move to the next fuse.
Nice 65 Mike. Now, I need to let you know Im not a electric kinda guy so be patient if dumb questions are submitted here.
1. If there are no fuses then what circuit am I testing when I do the 5amp inline straight to the box? ignition switch?
Thanks again!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 11:11 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

that test will check that you don't have an issue with the wiring going from battery to horn relay and fusebox.
Wallydog likes this.

Joe

1949 Ford F-1, M-II IFS, 302 ford, C4, 9", tilt steering
1969 Malibu conv, LS1 w/magnuson SC, 4L60E
2004 Z06
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Z06vette View Post
that test will check that you don't have an issue with the wiring going from battery to horn relay and fusebox.

Makes sense.. thanks!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 8:25 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Z06vette View Post
AAW classic update kit illiminates the horn relay. Would have to look at my AAW paperwork but think the power from the battery goes indirectly to the fuse box. IIRC the power goes from the battery to the starter. At that junction it goes to the alternator and to the fuse box.
wihaltom likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 9:18 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
AAW classic update kit illiminates the horn relay. Would have to look at my AAW paperwork but think the power from the battery goes indirectly to the fuse box. IIRC the power goes from the battery to the starter. At that junction it goes to the alternator and to the fuse box.
in that case, the test proposed above would check all that wiring prior to the fusebox. Still sounds like a good safe place to start.

Joe

2004 Z06
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 2:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post

It does eliminate the horn relay on a conventional 68 car wiring. I got a purple wire that comes from outer firewall fuse box to starter/ battery cable post. Im assuming that wire needs to be checked to be sure. It goes to ignition switch and neutral safety switches on floor shifter on the inside fuse box.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 3:36 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

That wire would be your main supply for your fuse panel.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 17, 11:02 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallydog View Post
It does eliminate the horn relay on a conventional 68 car wiring. I got a purple wire that comes from outer firewall fuse box to starter/ battery cable post. Im assuming that wire needs to be checked to be sure. It goes to ignition switch and neutral safety switches on floor shifter on the inside fuse box.

the purple wire is only powered when you are cranking the key to start position. it goes from ign switch thru NS switch to starter solenoid to engage the starter. the big wire from battery directly to the starter actually powers the starter, but you can leave that one disconnected while testing your wiring as described above.

Joe

2004 Z06
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 17, 11:29 AM
Team Member
Mike

Wally, that first step with no fuses in the fuse block tests for any short you may have introduced anywhere in the wiring. It test more than just the link between the battery and its first connection. The assumption is that a mistake could be anywhere and this gross check will prevent what could be a flaming failure. It's a quick and easy check.

I forgot to mention that you should check the starter circuit early in your testing. If you followed the AAW instructions, the posts on the starter have tight wiring that could short if the nuts are not tightened carefully. It's worth taking another look up close just to confirm no cross contact on those post. I used a light and mirror because it's difficult on my car to see the top of the starter.

Mike

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 17, 7:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks to you all who helped here. I did plug it in and no fires or lightning strikes. I have to get a new wiper motor and washer pump. Mine isnt moving. Besides I think the one that is there is for a 69. It has been painted over and wiring looks 50 yrs old. Fan blower isnt working either. Its only money right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 890 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.