Another 70 SS dash ground question(s) - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Another 70 SS dash ground question(s)

First, I swear I did search old posts but I'm still confused.
I have a painless harness that I'm hooking to a new reproduction SS dash. I've wired the bulkhead plug (if that's the right name) according to Painless' instructions. Nothing works. I'm sure I need grounds.
1. Am I correct that none of the 12 pins on the bulkhead plug are a ground? 2. Can I run wires off the five PC ground locations to a good ground?
3. If I do that do I need any other grounds?
I know this is basic and I did find a ton of posts, just not specific enough for my brain.
Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 1:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Another 70 SS dash ground question(s)

Assuming that the 12 pin connector you are referring to is the gauge connector, you are correct, none of these wires are ground. For 70 there were several ground connections. One being a ring and strap combo. the ring went around the headlight switch, the strap went from the back of the wiper switch to the metal frame for the dash. This provided a chassis ground for the headlight switch abd wiper switch. The harness had three ground wires, one went to the metal frame for the dash, one went to the bracket for the e-Brake adn the third went to the metal housing for the gauges. This provided ground for the gauges and all the other dash circuits (glove box light, lighter, heater control panel light, etc.).

Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 2:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Does it matter where on the metal gauge housing I attach to for the ground wire? If I run a sheet metal screw w/star washer right into the metal of the housing, run a wire to the metal dash bracket, and then down to the e-brake assembly, would that do it (that and the headlight loop thing)?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 8:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

I don't have an ss dash (standard sweep style is what i do have) but i ran a ground wire to ALL gauges and then a seperate one to ALL lights. Then i used a sheetmetal screw to attach them at the dash frame. I used the two wires cause i didn't know if you can have two many things pulling from one ground!? But now my set-up is really clean and easy to work on.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

Oh, and you do need that loop ground that goes from the windshield wiper to the headlight switch.

***VERY IMPORTANT***

When you hook all the grounds up, hook up the battery or whatever you have to do to test if the stuff works and turn the headlights on. I guarantee you that your parking lights will NOT come on! If this is the case, you have to take the headlight connector and make a change. Cut the park lights wire (927) and splice it with the tail lights wire (929). Umm, if you want to do it really nice like i did, you can remove the terminal instead of just cutting the wire and then connect the two wires.

LOL, i figured i would tell you this since no one told me and it took me about 3 days to find out!!! And i'll openly admit, 16 year olds dont have a lot of patience!!! LOL, good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 05, 1:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

No need to add a screw just use one already on the metal housing, doesn't matter which one just one that attaches a gauge to the metal gauge housing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 05, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys. Got it grounded. Rian was right about the parking lights. We found that problem a couple of weeks back. Now I have a semi functioning dash. Fuel gauge seems right. Water temp seems way wrong. Was nearly showing 250 when my fan kicked on at about 185. However for the time being I have areference point. The tach is screwy though. Never reads very high, jumps around, sometimes falls when rpms are climbing. I have an MSD pro billet distributor and was told by the shop where I bought it that some MSD items need some sort of filter for the tach. I have some research to do.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 05, 11:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70vert
Water temp seems way wrong. Was nearly showing 250 when my fan kicked on at about 185. However for the time being I have a reference point.
Do a search on Steve S and Elree Colby, they had some posts on how to get the temp gauge reading right, maybe Steve S will post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70vert
The tach is screwy though. Never reads very high, jumps around, sometimes falls when rpms are climbing. I have an MSD pro billet distributor and was told by the shop where I bought it that some MSD items need some sort of filter for the tach. I have some research to do.
Where is the tach hooked to? If you have a MSD box, it has to be hooked to the box at the tach terminal. GM tachs usually work, just make sure to remove the factory inline filter if its still there.

Greg U

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 05, 1:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

The one aftermarket temp gauge I fooled with got the best readings by leaving the resistor off the gauge. From what I remember they tell you to take the resistor from the old large fuel gauge and use it for the temp gauge. When I did this it seemed to read high even with their supplied temp sender.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5142 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.