windows and locks and poppers oh my - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 9:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Simon

Exclamation windows and locks and poppers oh my

ok ...here is the dilema....i want to install power windows, locks, poppers (doors and trunk)and have them all controlled by one remote and actually have the power looms all work together.....this is being installed in a shaved handle (keyhole on trunk) 66 malibu....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 9:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss
Re: windows and locks and poppers oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon15
ok ...here is the dilema....i want to install power windows, locks, poppers (doors and trunk)have them all controlled by one remote and actually have the power looms all work together.....this is being installed in a shaved handle (keyhole on trunk) 66 malibu....
ok, so what is the dilema....?????????

Greg U

MY 70SS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 9:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Simon

most systems i have scene dont seem to work together...has anyone done this or have any references....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 10:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon15
ok ...here is the dilema....i want to install power windows, locks, poppers (doors and trunk)and have them all controlled by one remote and actually have the power looms all work together.....this is being installed in a shaved handle (keyhole on trunk) 66 malibu....
You can have that and a lot more, go here and look at the G5 and the accerssories
http://www.clifford.com/main.asp

Greg U

MY 70SS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Simon

all that stuff on there is great...but it is all modules to operate existing systems....the question is what is compatible with what.....i dont wish to have a wiring fiasco when they are all installled and they only work with certain equipment...it seems that page is for newer cars already wired with factory equipment and looms.....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 12:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

It can be wired to older cars. There are other systems too but I only have experience with Clifford. Try this one
http://www.auto-accessories.com/ You need to stick with the same brand if you want everything on one remote easily.

Greg U

MY 70SS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 12:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

If you don't have power windows, you will need to add them. They have kits for shaved door handles

Greg U

MY 70SS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 6:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have not seen any kit that includes power windows, door poppers, trunk release and a remote system but then again I've never looked as most of the time you want to get the best you can in each area and I kinda wonder if anyone really does.
Electric-life would be a company to look at to replace your crank regulators with power models as these are more heavier duty than a lot of the aftermarket kits that use cable type drives. The cheaper ones are also made to work on the more modern thinner and easier to lift door glass. Also the better designed ones will bolt into existing holes and should require less drilling.
For door poppers if you properly engineer the installation and it's attaching points to the stock latch assembly you should not have to get the mongo 50lb pulls that can more easily damage things and force things to work. If it's installed properly then you should be able to get by with the less amount of force actuators/solenoids and have less strain on the latch mechanism. Also when adding door solenoids, run a seperate ground from either the ground wire on the solenoid or from it's mounting hardware into the interior of the car. Do not rely on getting a good ground inside the door structure (same for the solenoid for the trunk).
I would see if you can find a factory trunk release assembly for your car to make installation easier. Most added trunk releases rely on cables to attach to the trunk latch and then you have to drill a hole in the latch release arm and then mount the solenoid elsewhere on the inside of the trunk. The factory releases I have seen only require a hole to be drilled in the trunk latch assembly and then an arm off of the solenoid trips open the latch. they also use the existing latch mounting bolts to hold it into place.
If you want all of this to work off a remote get a name brand and while I doubt any of the systems will wire directly to the things you are adding they will require relays or modules and whoever wires it, make sure they seperately fuse things and have good solid grounds.

For safety, do not disable the inside door release handle and mechanism. Should the system fail or the battery fail with you in it, you need a mechanical way to open up the door to get out. I would also add some hidden switches on the outside of the car so you can still get in should the battery in the remote fail.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5059 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.