12 coil power and mystery wire on 68 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 7:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

12 coil power and mystery wire on 68

I'm putting in a new engine and I'm cleaning up the wiring I have. I need a 12 volt source for the coil. There is an old wire I used for my point type but it looks melted or in bad shape. I've traced it back to the firewall near my brake booster. Does anyone know where this wire ends up on the other side of the firewall?
There are two blue wires coming out of the firewall at the same location. They look like the same color, one goes to the wiper motor assembly and the other is a dead end. Does anyone know where what this mystery wire is for? Thanks.

'68 El Camino
383ci Vortec/TH350, 3.73 posi 12-bolt
"Stick shifts and safety belts... bucket seats have all got to go"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss
Re: 12 coil power and mystery wire on 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop_tart_68
I'm putting in a new engine and I'm cleaning up the wiring I have. I need a 12 volt source for the coil. There is an old wire I used for my point type but it looks melted or in bad shape. I've traced it back to the firewall near my brake booster. Does anyone know where this wire ends up on the other side of the firewall?
That wire goes back to the IGN switch. It was also a resister wire for the points to reduce the voltage. It you are staying with points style dist, you would need a new resister wire or a ballast resister if wiring with regular wire to reduce the voltage or the points will burn up quick.

Quote:
There are two blue wires coming out of the firewall at the same location. They look like the same color, one goes to the wiper motor assembly and the other is a dead end. Does anyone know where what this mystery wire is for? Thanks.
Could be for the oil pressure light.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

I'm putting in a new electronic ignition. I traced that old power wire back to the back side of the fuse box but it is a higher gage on the passenger compartment side. I'll just use it from there so I'm sure I have 12 volts.

Oil pressure sounds like a perfect use for that mystery wire. Given its location and all I'll assume thats what it is and skip unleashing the huge wiring harness under the dash. Thanks a million.

'68 El Camino

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:

Oil pressure sounds like a perfect use for that mystery wire. Given its location and all I'll assume thats what it is and skip unleashing the huge wiring harness under the dash. Thanks a million.
You can test it to be sure, with the key, first see it it has 12 volts, if it does, short it to ground with a 10 amp fuse inline for safety. The oil light should come on.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 7:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Well, there is nothing in my engine compartment but a wiper motor. I'm comfortable labelling it as a temp or oil idiot light. My dash and the rest of the interior is my next project once this engine is tuned so I'm pretty sure the dash would sit there and look at me or point and laugh. I'm sure once I take the dash apart later I'll find out just what its for. Thanks again.

'68 El Camino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5152 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.