Two batterys - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 9:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Two batterys

To run two batt's do you need a different type of alt?Do you need to change some things? How does it work? Been having some problems with car stops runnung and when i try to restart the batt is dead.I run a small alt that only puts out 50 amps and was wondering if that is to small? BILL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT

Last edited by driver; Jul 15th, 05 at 9:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 9:16 PM
Tech Team

Re: Two batterys

With the battery technology today, there isn't really a reason to need two batteries. What's your problem that you want them?

Ted
King of Prussia, Pa
64 Chevelle Malibu convertible
74 VW Thing
03 GMC Sierra
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I added to my 1st post telling everythimg.THANKS

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 9:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Anybody?????

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 12:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss
Re: Two battery's

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver
To run two batt's do you need a different type of alt?
Normally no, but only a 50 amp alternator would be to small if you had very many accessories running too. Also alternators are rated by their max output, they put out much less at idle and slower speeds.
Quote:
Do you need to change some things? How does it work?
Depends on how its wired and what you want to do, run both at the same time, run one and just charged the other, keeping it as a spare.
Quote:
Been having some problems with car stops running and when i try to restart the batt is dead.I run a small alt that only puts out 50 amps and was wondering if that is to small? BILL
Is this for the Nova in your sig? Street/Strip or drag only??? How many accessories do you have. First make sure the alternator even working, check the voltage across the battery with the car running at a fast idle. You need 14-14.5 volts at the battery to be charging it. The reason the car stops running is you are most likely just running off the battery, when the voltage drops low enough, dead battery.

Greg U

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 6:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks thats what i was thinking.It's the nova and it's pro street/race.I have a 7al2 box,lights,signals,horn and thats about it.No radio,no nitrous yet.I'll check it out a little deeper today,Thanks again. I forgot about the electric water pump and twin fans.

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT

Last edited by driver; Jul 16th, 05 at 6:45 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 8:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Thanks thats what i was thinking.It's the nova and it's pro street/race.I have a 7al2 box,lights,signals,horn and thats about it.No radio,no nitrous yet.I'll check it out a little deeper today,Thanks again. I forgot about the electric water pump and twin fans.
Twin fans, that could be it right there. They could easily draw more than the alt puts out at idle. They may even take all of the alternator output while driving which means anything else, ign, water pump, etc. are running off the battery. I would say a bigger alt is in order given your setup.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 10:48 AM
Hey You!

No two batteries are identical. One will always be weaker than the other and cause one battery to try and charge the other one. There are a couple of ways to prevent this, one being a battery isolator such as this.
http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/isolator.htm

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Did some testing and this is what i have.Tested the alt at around 2000 rpms and it's putting out 12.2/maybe 12.4 volts.Tested battery at idle it's around 11.0 volts and at 2000 rpms it's close to 12 volts.Both are brand new.Alt is a mini east coast 55 amp and the batt is a red top.So whats the bad one???
Alt or battery?? Doing the testing each time i had to recharge the battery.I have a 90 amp alt in my garage but it's full size and i would need to do a bunch of changing to get it to work??THANKS,BILL

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Did some testing and this is what i have.Tested the alt at around 2000 rpms and it's putting out 12.2/maybe 12.4 volts.Tested battery at idle it's around 11.0 volts and at 2000 rpms it's close to 12 volts.Both are brand new.Alt is a mini east coast 55 amp and the batt is a red top.So whats the bad one???
Alt or battery?? Doing the testing each time i had to recharge the battery.??THANKS,BILL
Sounds like the alternator is not putting out.Is it wired correctly? Optimum alternator voltage should be 13.8 to 14.2 at that rpm.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 1:08 PM

First check you alternator belt and make sure it doesn't slip. Turn off the motor, grab the alternator fan and try to turn it by hand. If you can turn it using minimal or moderate force then you need to tighten or replace it.

Make sure your battery is fully charged and tested. If you don't have a battery tester then visit your local sears or any place that sell batteries. A low or bad battery will not allow an accurate voltage check of the charging system.

Start your engine, the voltage should be at around 13.5 - 14v when you're at 3,000 rpm. If it's still at 12.something then you have a problem in the charging system.

As for the current used by your accessories, it's a complicated test that requires an amp meter. Best to go to an auto electrician for this. But in my opinion, you have a charging system problem.

I would not recommend putting another battery in you car. More components means more that can go wrong!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Wired correct,one wire going to the battery.

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:
Alt or battery??
1 wire alternators need to be revved to be started. Depending on the crank and alternator pulley sizes this could be anywhere from 1200-3500+ rpm. Whats the diameter of the crank and alternator pulleys? Do the voltage test again, make sure everything that can be turned off is ( water pump, fans ect...). Make sure to blip the throttle to start the alternator. Then hold at 2000 rpm. If your not getting 14+ then the alternators bad. With all the accessories you have I would look consider a 100 amp alternator wired as a 3 wire.

Greg U

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 9:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks,i got it fixed.I replaced the alt with a 90 amp alt and hit the gas it goes up to 14+ where the other one would not go past 12.4.Still need to check at battery which I'll do in the morning.Thanks for all the help everyone.BILL

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5117 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.