64 El Camino wiring harness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By wihaltom
  • 1 Post By Antalamo
  • 2 Post By Rich-L79

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 1:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

64 El Camino wiring harness

In trying to locate a new intermediate ribbon type wire harness for my 64 Elky, they only start with '65 and later. Anybody know if the 65 harness is the same as the 64. I'm thinking not because I'm sure the catalogs would list it to fit the 64.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 7:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: 64 El Camino wiring harness

I have seen both styles of harness on 65 Chevelle passenger cars. Don't know if that could have affected El Caminos too. I think the plant where the vehicle was produced may also have determined which harness was used.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 9:50 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antalamo View Post
In trying to locate a new intermediate ribbon type wire harness for my 64 Elky, they only start with '65 and later. Anybody know if the 65 harness is the same as the 64. I'm thinking not because I'm sure the catalogs would list it to fit the 64.

No one makes the ribbon cable for the 64 cars as the connector is different and the El Camino is unique unto itself. In addition, the ribbon cables being done for the 65-7 cars are complete junk. Not even close to being correct. We looked into them and tested them. You'll have to find someone parting a 64 El and get that ribbon cable.

Donny

Last edited by aawtech; Apr 16th, 17 at 10:22 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 2:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I rewired my 64 El Camino with an American Autowire kit.
The ribbon cable was replaced with a bundle of wires which I encased in a flexible wire loom material.
About half the wires in the ribbon were shot anyway.
I used the old ribbon cable to pull in the new wiring.
It works just fine.
davewho1 likes this.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 9:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

Well it sounds like my options are limited for the ribbon harness. Either find someone parting out a 64 EC or wire up one myself using aftermarket wires like Autowire......not very encouraging. My ribbon harness has 3 cut wires that someone attempted to fix by splicing new wire onto the cut parts of the ribbon.

There's a place here in Cal called M&H Electric that makes all types of wire harnesses. I calling them on Mon to see if they have one they could make up using the existing one. Their catalog does not show they offer one but I hear they do custom orders. I'll have to weigh out pricing from a stock "custom" harness vs an Autowire type self made version.

If M&H makes the ribbon harness, I'll post the info and price on the site for others who are needing a 64 Elky ribbon harness.
davewho1 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 1:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

For anyone interested.....I called that harness mfg company, M&H Electric. One of the techs said that is about the only harness they do not mfg. It is a one off harness for 64s because of the connector. I was told to do one of three options.
1. Fix the old harness
2. Find another harness from someone parting out a 64 Elky
3. As mentioned earlier, get an after market harness like Auto Wire.

My thoughts are is if M&H Electric does not make or sell a harness.....no one does.

'64 SS Coupe, 4 spd Muncie M-20, 12 bolt 3:42, 350sb 9.75:1, Edelbrock RPM top kit with roller cam, EB 600cfm carb.
Weekend driver....
Weekends need to be 4 days long every week.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 8:34 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Is there any way you could salvage the ends off your ribbon cable and attach it to a 65 cable? If so, I have a 65 EC ribbon cable you could have for the cost of shipping.
David Bates and zombie1969 like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Is there any way you could salvage the ends off your ribbon cable and attach it to a 65 cable? If so, I have a 65 EC ribbon cable you could have for the cost of shipping.
Rich, I was thinking about that. Yes my cable ends are good but it would require the same amount of work to repair the 3 bad wires I have vs mending a whole ribbon together. I'll try to fix what I have and check it for continuity, If that wont work, I may be back asking for your ribbon if it's still available. Thanks for the offer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 11:10 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Another thought, could a 64 coupe/sedan cable be made to work? What makes the El Camino cable unique? I'd think the only difference would be the length and also presuming the coupe version is longer it would be easy enough to tuck the excess length away somewhere. Again assuming a 64 coupe/sedan version would be easier to find.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 11:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

It seems to me that a station wagon might also have that cable.
Or it may be a unique item for El Caminos only?
The AAW kit had it listed as "El Camino and S/W Add-on".
There are only 8 wires that go in that re-placement wiring and 2 of them are for the El Camino dome light so only 6 wires go to the back of the vehicle.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 815 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.