Battery Cables - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 05, 5:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Battery Cables

This may sound kinda dumb but does any one know where i could get some aftermarket battery cables that arent stock and arent just the red and black ones taht you can get from the parts store. Ive looked in summit and jegs and stuff like that and nothing that is really that nice or anything. I have a 71 chevelle with a sb 400 and an optima battery and im looking to go with the side posts b/c my top posts were getting to dirty and nasty on the other battery. Oh and what is the best length wire to go with on my car, i bought new cables a while ago and dont remember the length of the positive cable. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 05, 5:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss
Re: Battery Cables

What exactly are you looking for, HD cables or something that is fancy? I have seen some that looked like braided hose that you could have made, even the terminals ends were fancy looking but I no longer have the link. Might try searching the web. For HD cables in the larger sizes you could make a set yourself ( I did) or buy ready made ones. Heres one place, there are many others
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/1-0.shtml

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 05, 5:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Well, i was looking for something pretty fancy and HD. Preferably premade. Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 05, 8:26 AM
Tech Team
Steve

No premade stuff, but usually local auto stereo/audio stores such as Circuit City or Best Buys or HI-FI Buys all have custom stereo wires and connectors in brilliant colors and sizes, albeit them pricey.

I use all Monster Cables and connectors in my applications.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 05, 9:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Go to any RV/tractor repair facility. We make all our own cables. What would you like, 6ga, 4ga, 2ga, 0ga, 00ga, ring terminals, bolt on terminals, side mount terminals, red, black, gray, etc... you get the idea. Any tractor (Peterbilt, Freightliner, Volvo, Mack, Kenworth-the best) will have all this stuff in huge bulk quantities. Tell them how long and what type of ends and they can make them up in about 10 minutes.

Now will they.......that may take some pleading.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 05, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Well, thanks everyone. I just went to the Car audio store and bought 1/0 wire (really cheap oddly enough). Im just having trouble finding the connectors to go from the wire to the battery. Ill just buy ring terminlas for the starter and the ground. Thanks for all the help guys. It was greatly appreciated. And its too bad taht no one makes aftermarket nice looking battery cables, i thought for sure there would be a whole lot of other distributors out there that would make them, but obviously i was wrong. Thanks again!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 12:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

You would be suprised at how clean the farm/over-road tractor stuff can look. Far more reliable than the automotive stuff too.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 8:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Sounds like you bought wire used to power a big amp. It should but make sure the insulation is going to hold up to the heat, weather and other elements under the hood.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 8:40 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Most of the battery cables that are in the high quality stereo stores are actually better equipped to handle the heat, moisture and abrasion than the OEM cable is! I will agree that some of it is junk, do your homework.

The Monster Ultra-flow 40 series is just an example. Yes ....it's used for wiring big amps too, but the heat rating is almost 50% higher and also higher grade insulation materials than any OEM. Looks great too.

I offer the following picture of my 69 Camaro's battery equipped with number 2 (all you will ever need for size....even if it's a trunk location rated at over 150amps continuous) Monster Ultra flow series wire with the Monster terminals too. I think it looks pretty good and works great....I use them in all applications.

The cable that many gearheads think is suitable for use under the hood is welding cable, which it's NOT! Welding cable is made with different insulation materials (and industry requirements) and does NOT perform well in hot locations and is prone to "wicking" which pulls moisture up the cable inside the insulation sheath and corroding away without an outside indication. All of a sudden one day your engine doesn't crank and one wonder's why. You can aleviate the later problem by making sure the ends of the cable are completely hermetically sealed with silicone. But, the heat factor remains.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 8:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODSRJ
Most of the battery cables that are in the high quality stereo stores are actually better equipped to handle the heat, moisture and abrasion than the OEM cable is! I will agree that some of it is junk, do your homework.
I agree you can get some good quality cable at an audio store, just need to make sure of what you're getting.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 05, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

well i found some 1/0 wire (they didnt sell 2 gauge b/c they said that if someone needed 2 gauge they would just tell them to spend a little extra for the 1/0 and get the better wire) Well i cant find and NICE looking side terminals for my battery now. I have the wire and can get the connectors for the wire, just no terminals to put on the wire then connect it to the battery. Any help guys. Thanks a lot
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 05, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

Page 25 and 26 in the below catalog have some terminal ends that take 1/0 wire. Stinger also has 1/0 crimp on ends that I usually use at work and after crimping them on take my Mapp gas torch, heat up the end and then solder it. After it cools they have a rubber slide on boot to make it nicer.

http://aampofamerica.com/web/catalogs_pdf/SBRO05v2.pdf

Jim

Always working on something:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 10:17 AM
hrd
Senior Tech Team
jayt

i got mine (i cant remember what gauge they are, but, they're huge) at napa...they had all kinds of size, length and end configurations, and im pretty sure they're for automotive use, with a ford type solenoid and and optima battery...ive never had a cranking problem since

1970 El Camino
“In the present weak state of human nature, surrounded as we are on all sides with ignorance and error, it little becomes poor, fallible man to be positive and dogmatical in his opinions.”...Benjamin Franklin

“Power concedes nothing. without a demand.”...Fredrick Douglas
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 05, 11:13 PM
Tech Team

these guys have a pretty good selection of lugs and connectors

http://www.solarseller.com/

I'm using their compression lugs. Very handy.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 05, 1:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I know this is a little late but this guy will make whatever you want in whatever size you want.

www.custombatterycables.com

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5149 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.