1964 Malibu horn relay - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 17, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Re: 1964 Malibu horn relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
The original poster really needs to get a proper wiring harness installed, whether it be factory stock, or a newer upgraded style. What is in there is a mess. Poor connections and not properly set-up. That's a very poor set-up running the alternator directly to the battery (+) for that short of a distance. The factory set-up has the alternator output wire going to the horn relay junction connections and then to the battery. The extra length of cable was done intentionally by the factory as it acts as a current limiting resistor so the battery doesn't try to 'absorb' an excessive charging rate when it doesn't need to. You can read and see the set-up at Mad: Catalog

That's just one issue though. Cut and missing wiring is only going to invite a whole host of splices and repairs will can certainly affect voltage drops and reliability....and ultimately safety.
Yes I agree. Part of the problem is when I bought the car it came the way you see it now, and I don't know what it's suppose to look like because I am not that knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The alternator having been moved to the other side kinda messes up factory wiring a little.
I could move it to the other side, or I could buy a new wiring harness specifically for passenger side alternators.

Edit: Did any of them come with a passenger side alternator? Or did someone change this on my engine? It is not the original, it is a 1967 283.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
It is NOT a good idea to bypass the horn relay & run the horn direct off the horn switch. See below. In an emergency, the horn could prevent an accident or worse...
Best to have a working horn.

The relay requires much less current to activate it than the horn does. The mickey-mouse GM horn switches that I have encountered are susceptible to high resistance/poor connection, & may not pass enough current to energise the horn. A horn relay is very easy to hook up, once you have the wire from the horn switch to activate the relay.
Took your advise and went out and got a horn relay. What I wanted to do before was skip the horn altogether because the car didn't have horns - I was asking if the red wire can go directly from the alternator to the fuse block rather than go through the horn relay.

What it looks like I will do it go out and just get a new forward harness. Skip all this madness and messed up wiring.

Last edited by black64; Mar 18th, 17 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 17, 11:26 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

64 V8's had short water pumps with the alternator on the driver's side.
Alternators on the passenger's side use long water pumps.
Brackets and pulleys are different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 3:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

So I ordered a whole new forward harness for internally regulated alternator. Does this automatically bypass the voltage regulator? Or do I keep it in there and just wire it differently?

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 17, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by black64 View Post
So I ordered a whole new forward harness for internally regulated alternator. Does this automatically bypass the voltage regulator? Or do I keep it in there and just wire it differently?
It probably just has a jumper to field which you could have done. I would assume it doesn't have pigtails for the external regulator unless it's retained to keep the dummy light working.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 17, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

So....my new forward harness, horns, and horn relay arrived and I installed them. Not sure where all the wires go? (see loose ones below in 2nd pic). It is specifically made for a passenger side internally regulated alternator and gauges, so the plug for the external voltage regulator does not exist. The original wiring diagram isn't helpful in this case, and all the internal alternator upgrade guides I have seen only show how to bypass the external regulator rather than delete it. Help appreciated, especially for the wiring around the horn relay.

Also, I assume there still needs to be a wire from the positive battery terminal to the horn relay? Or no?

Last edited by black64; Apr 3rd, 17 at 1:04 AM.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 17, 1:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I answered some of my own questions.

Yes I need a wire to run from the battery to the ammeter shunt or horn relay. And I will also need an ammeter shunt in order to read the generator gauge. The black and red loose wires in my pic above go to that shunt.

What gauge of wire should I be using for the battery to horn relay?

Does the wire go to the shunt first or straight to the horn relay?

Is this the same setup for an aftermarket voltmeter?

I have also read that the original ammeter gauges are fire hazards and not recommended? Is this true?
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 6:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I think, based on the wiring diagram, the wire goes to the shunt, then back to the horn relay from the shunt.
Wire size is determined by the total load expected.
The bigger the current draw, the bigger the wire needs to be.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 8:21 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Why would you need to run wires if it is a new wiring harness?

Are you trying to "work around" the fact you have the alternator on the "wrong" side for your year?

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Why would you need to run wires if it is a new wiring harness?

Are you trying to "work around" the fact you have the alternator on the "wrong" side for your year?
This wire is separate from the harness. And like I mentioned above it is made for passenger side alternator.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 8:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Okay so I did some more digging and some phone calls to the states and figured most of it out.

Please bear with me, I know I asked some pretty technical questions earlier, but these ones are easier I promise:

1) For the wire from the + battery terminal to horn relay, I plan on using 8 gauge wire and a 12 gauge fusible link. Is this okay?

2) Can the fusible link be anywhere on the wire? mid span, right off the battery terminal, right at the horn relay?

Thanks.

EDIT: That may be too thick of a wire. Even with an upgraded internally regulated alternator (63 amp).

Anyone?

Last edited by black64; Apr 9th, 17 at 12:32 AM.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 5:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

You don't need a fusible link in the horn cct. Use a fuse or cct breaker, 20 amp.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
You don't need a fusible link in the horn cct. Use a fuse or cct breaker, 20 amp.
Okay, that's the first time I heard about NOT needing a fusible link there. Are you suggesting something like this?

..What about my wire size choice?
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 2:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

There is a reason why GM used fusible links rather than fuses.
Put a fuse in place of a fusible link and it will blow when the fusible link wouldn't have.

Better be sure to carry spare fuses for when you get stranded, (which you will.)
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 2:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
There is a reason why GM used fusible links rather than fuses.
Put a fuse in place of a fusible link and it will blow when the fusible link wouldn't have.

Better be sure to carry spare fuses for when you get stranded, (which you will.)
So you suggest a fusible link instead?
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 6:20 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by black64 View Post
So you suggest a fusible link instead?
In the places where GM had fusible links originally, yes, don't replace fusible links with fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 448 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.