Voltage Drops to Zero When Starting - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 05, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Voltage Drops to Zero When Starting

Hey all, I am having some problems on my 70 Malibu (SBC M20). I just replaced my old accel plug wires with Taylor Spiro Crimp-Yourself wires (the car has not run since replacing them). Also, the voltage regulator is less then a week old (voltmeter was jerking all over the place +/- several volts).

Since doing the plug wires last night I was not able to start the car. This battery has been in the car since I bought it last year, and it is a pretty plain looking one (no specs on the casing, no brand name...) and it has gone dead many times before. The only thing I have handy where I am is a booster pack from the local parts store that has also been around for some time (maybe 7 or 8 years). I tried starting it with it charged up over night, and the starter goes, but my voltage drops from about 12 volts right down to nothing. My voltmeter is hooked up to my ignition wire, so I am assuming that the spark plugs are not firing (with 0 volts) and that is why it won't start. Is this just a bad battery then? or is it something else? I jsut want to make sure it is the battery before buying a new one...

Thanks!
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 05, 5:28 PM
Hey You!

Re: Voltage Drops to Zero When Starting

If you could try jumping it with another car. Otherwise it sounds like the battery is gone. Batteries don't like being completely discharged several times.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 9:28 AM
Tech Team

Cool Re: Voltage Drops to Zero When Starting

When starting a car,battery voltage should not drop below 10 volts.Install a new battery and check your charging system!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 9:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

He said the starter is cranking, I think that's what he is saying, but the voltage at the ignition drops to 0. What does the voltage at the battery do while cranking? Sounds like it might be something else.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 12:06 PM
Team Member

If you're talking about the voltage on the gauge and not on the battery, I'd check the battery connections and the ground to the engine first of all. But it could just be an old battery.

1969 Malibu in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5140 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.