72 Chevelle 402 No Start/Won't turn over - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 16, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

72 Chevelle 402 No Start/Won't turn over

Hello everyone,

I have the majority of my car restored but it won't turn over. I have all factory rebuilt parts or nos parts. I tested the starter, jumped the neutral safety switch, and when i turn the key to the start position i hear like a fan motor turn on until i release the key from the start position *it is not the blower fan*. I adjusted the ignition switch on the column but didn't seem to make a difference. I have a nos horn relay but not sure if that's the issue or not. All the dash lights work, am fm 8 track works, etc. I did hook up my battery jump starter to insure they're was enough power to start it. When the key is in the start/cranking position, the amp gauge goes to -40 and the temp gauge pegs past 250 degrees. Is this a ground problem? Im clearly not the best at electrical. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 16, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: 72 Chevelle 402 No Start/Won't turn over

You need to see if the whirring sound is your starter motor spinning without the solenoid kicking out. My theory on your gauges pegging is they have been swapped in place of the original idiot lights and the lamp test wire has not been removed that light the lights in the start position.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 16, 2:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It is a factory tach cluster car so that cant be the problem. When the key is in the on postion the gauges are in the correct locations.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

It sounds like the starter has got the wires backwards or switched around and your starter motor is spinning without engaging the flywheel.That might explain the "fan motor sound".If that is the problem check the wiring at the starter.
ON your starter solenoid: The purple colored wire from the ignition should go to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.The "R" terminal gets the points or resistance wire and obviously the large lug gets the battery's positive "+" red wire.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 16, 3:55 PM
rkd
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Some country boy checks.

Jack the car up and unhook the wires at the solenoid by the starter and run a temp wire that you can touch to the bat plus term. Then see if that cranks it.

If so, the starter works and the circuit needs attention.

The starter wiring in these can be a pain because power goes to the ign switch, then via the neutral safety switch, and, or clutch switch, etc. If the starter works, get a wiring diagram and check for voltage until you find the prob.

Best to buy a wiring diagram for the car, it will save a ton of effort.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 16, 11:13 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

fat purple wire goes on the stud closer to the block.

smaller yellow wire goes on the stud furthest from the block.

Anybody know, does the power feed to the rest of the car come off the battery post on the starter or from a pigtail off the positive battery post?

My car is a 70, it has a pigtail off the pos battery terminal .

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 16, 11:20 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Chevelle402SS, (name? location? please fill out your profile)

Use a test light, hook the ground clip to a good ground like the park brake bracket. probe the neutral safety switch at the bottom of the column. two big purple wires, both should have power when the held in the start position. if not, issue is upstream towards the actual ignition switch.

Try to avoid terminal frustration. it's tough when you're this close. Don't worry, we've all been there.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 16, 11:23 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

the NSS can far enough out of adjustment to cause this problem.

careful here, it's possible to start the car in gear when working around this stuff. real bummer when that happens. especially if it's got a choke and it's up on the fast idle. There have been sad cases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1057 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.