67 Malibu, Electrical Starter Problems, sometimes - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
CW

67 Malibu, Electrical Starter Problems, sometimes

I need your help. We have a 67 Malibu with the original 283 and powerguide with a factory console shift. Every so often when starting the car there is no power to the starter, just like a bad solenoid, no noise, nothing. Turn the ignition switch back and forth a few times and it works, some times right away, some times later, hot or cold, no difference, doesn't happen all the time just every once in a while. I have replaced the starter and solenoid and the ignition switch with a matching key tumbler, used a name brand. When this happens every thing else in the car works as it should, just no starter.
My next step is to replace the console neutral safety switch, when checking it out the switch functions correctly but that is my next step because I'm at a loss. Problem is I cannot locate a switch, none of the local parts houses nor none of my catalogs identify a console neutral safety switch for a powerguide.
Any suggestions to help resolve my starter problem or locate a neutral safety switch. Apprecite any help you can provide.
sassy 67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 12th, 05, 9:44 AM
Hey You!

Re: 67 Malibu, Electrical Starter Problems, sometimes

Have you considered making up a test jumper for the switch? Try using that for a short while and see if the problem goes away. It doesn't sound like you are wiggling the shifter around to get the NSS to engage. Might be something else so maybe I'd try a jumper before replacing the switch. Be sure to have the car in park before starting it with the jumper in place.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 12th, 05, 8:52 PM
Team Member

I had the exact same problem with my 67. Every once in a while there was nothing. Leave it for awhile and it starts up. I checked out starter connections. Took them all off and cleaned them and reconnected. At the same time, I had my rad looked at. It was plugged solid. I had that replaced, and have not had the same problem since. I am running headers. Maybe the engine was just running a little too hot, and with the headers enough heat got to the starter and solenoid to affect it. All I know is one of the above fixed it, or maybe a combination of both.
Good Luck
Dunc

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 8:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
CW

Thanks, I'll work both of your recommendations when the car gets back from the paint shop, it had not happened in a long time and the other day as they were moving the car it happened again,
By the way any idea for locating a safety switch?
sassy 67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5146 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.