70 SS 396 Won't Start - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 05, 4:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: 70 SS 396 Won't Start

OK, I'll get that wire replaced. As for the one coming off the starter, you say I don't need a wire going from starter to distributor? Or did I misunderstand that?

Also, I have discovered a thin, blue wire with a small rubber 'boot' looking thing on the end. It was just laid over behind the master cylinder. Any idea what in the world that might go to?

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 SS 396, M21, 3.31 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 05, 7:12 PM

Re: 70 SS 396 Won't Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrobert
I parked it in the garage, running fine. Next day, it won't run. When I turn the ignition to the 'start' position, it fires up. But when I let the ignition key go to the 'run' position, it dies. I can even rev the engine a time or two with the key in the 'start' position, but it dies immediately when I let it go to 'run'. I have checked the fuel pump, and the carb is getting PLENTY of gas. I have replaced the ignition switch, still no joy. I'm pretty much at the end of my (very) limited experience, so if one of my fellow Chevelle owners can give me a hand with this, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Let's see...battery is new and full of juice, it has a new Mallory HEI, new plugs and wires, all fuses appear to be good, and a new ignition switch. Any ideas?
I'm almost ashamed to tell this one, but I had that happen last summer after installing a ZZ502. Of course the 502 is not machined for a mechanical pump, so I had to go with an electric. Rather than run the lead from the pump to the ignition, I ran it to the solenoid on the starter. When I'd hit the ignition, she'd fire until the solenoid released.....then die.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 05, 7:17 PM

Angry Re: 70 SS 396 Won't Start

I'm almost ashamed to tell this story........but i installed a ZZ502 in mine last summer. Of course, the 502 is not machined for a mechanical pump, so I mounted the electric and ran the lead to the solenoid, rather than to the ignition. She'd run until the solenoid released, then quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5209 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.